You can be Dorian too this weekend ! (Great three minute video)

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 661Member
    After the last post, I expected Guthrie to promise to never give me up.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    Or let you down...

Posting has been light. I've been away.
    Haha!
    Oo. Anywhere nice?
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    A very good video.

The concept of Dorian = pentatonic + 2 notes was a game changer for me when David Wallimann explained it in a video lesson I saw a good few years ago.

Along with those other 5 modes being the same pentatotonic + 2 notes idea too, and I agree with Guthrie about the Locrian being horrible!
    edited April 12
    Agreed Mark - though I shan't be learning it. I appreciate it's cleverness though.

Nick - The wilds of Lincs to visit my parents. It couldn't be more awkward for me to get to (8 hours.) They moved from London 22 years ago.

Dad is terminally ill with prostate bone cancer and for two years my life has been going up there to give some respite to Mum (also debilitated) and little bro'. The illness has been ghastly in every sense - we are now (hopefully*) in the final few weeks. He has been fighting it all the way. Which is a very mixed blessing if I'm honest.

I work four weeks solid and get the fifth week off. Last Saturday I finished at 4 am and I go into work this Sunday evening - so the four days of visiting is a chunk out of limited time away from shift work, my poor dawgie is not allowed up there.

The house is full of clutter and I spent three nights sleeping on a floor in the office. My two boys went up with me to say their last goodbye and one contracted ebola lite. Thankfully it didn't transmit, despite the vomit and squits - the stench of Detol is worse in my view.

So - other than that - quite nice, really !

Thanks for asking.

*I don't mean to sound like I want this to happen but this is the cruelest thing I have ever witnessed.
    Kevin, I'm sorry to hear about your parents. That's really rough. I can imagine what you mean about "hopefully", particularly if he's in pain. Is he doing alright mentally? That must be terribly hard on him and of course your whole family. It sounds like you're doing a great job though. Eight hours is not exactly down the road!

Out of interest, what do you do that gives you one time off like that? That sounds like it works out well for you.
    I hope you have time to recoup as well. That must be a very draining trip, in so many ways.
    edited April 12
    Thanks. My Dad is extremely strong mentally, and always has been.

I'm an intercity train driver, but do local work and engine-&-coaches too. So lots variety with odd shifts starting/finishing at stupid-O'clock and being moved off roster to cover shortages.

We work on a 5 week cycle: 4 weeks of long turns with one day off a week (often encroached upon by the shift either side) and the fifth week off completely as convalescence from jet lag !

They can't force me to work Sundays but I do, as it's my job and I forfeit pay if I don't. (A relic from BR days.)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Sorry to hear that about your parents Kevin. I can understand your use of the word "hopefully" and mention of "the cruelest thing". As a society we treat pets with more kindness than people when it comes to these sorts of times.

I wish you all the mental strength and resilience to see this through.
    Thank you Mark. I'm sure most people have this at some point in their lives. My brother and Mum are doing the really hard bit.
    Sounds like you're kept pretty busy then, Kevin.
    Mark P said:

I wish you all the mental strength and resilience to see this through.

I second that :) You have to look after YOU too.
    Cheers.