Tie Breaker ....

Using your skill and judgement, put these well-known effects pedals in the correct order .....

MXR Dyna Comp (compressor)
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
MXR Phase 90 (phaser)
Mooer Acoustikar (acoustic simulator)
Proco Rat II (distortion)
Electroharmonix Small Clone (chorus)
Electroharmonix Tone Tattoo (Metal Muff distortion, Neo Clone chorus and Memory Toy analogue delay all in one box)
Electroharmonix Screaming Bird (treble booster)
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Pedal Tuner
Marshall Vibratrem
TC Electronic Ditto (looper)
Electroharmonix SwitchBlade (Line Selector)

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,567Member, Moderator
    edited March 2017
    There are those who say there is no correct order. Apart from the Tone Tattoo, which I have no idea how best to use it with all these other pedals, I would probably try this order first:

Electroharmonix SwitchBlade (Line Selector)
    Boss TU-2 Pedal Tuner
    Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
    MXR Dyna Comp (compressor)
    Mooer Acoustikar (acoustic simulator)
    Proco Rat II (distortion)
    Electroharmonix Tone Tattoo (Metal Muff distortion, Neo Clone chorus and Memory Toy analogue delay all in one box)
    Marshall Vibratrem
    MXR Phase 90 (phaser)
    Electroharmonix Small Clone (chorus)
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
    TC Electronic Ditto (looper)

Alternatively, use output A from the SwitchBlade for all things electric sounding and the B output for anything relating to an acoustic sound, ie. the Mooer and maybe the Tone Tattoo.

The options are many!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 856Member
    Is the switchblade for inputs or outputs. If it's inputs I'd start with the switchblade then Wah, drives/simulator, Modulation, delay and comp. If it's outputs I'd try and stream them into uasable groups of acoustic/electric sounds but the tuner needs to work all the time.

There will be some that sit together better than others and only trial will tell you this.

Or get a loop midi selecter and build combinations/selections that can be called up ready to go like sim/chorus/delay or Drive/delay or Wah/delay or Wah/drive/flange etc. It's not so cheap, but once set it can be very efficient and save tap dancing. By the way I'm old and tap dance on my pedals so can't be doing with all that midi help, my gig brain would explode.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 774Member
    It's always an interesting subject, this. My saving grace is that I rarely use more than two FX on the board at a time. My main clean, rhythm and drive tones come from my amp, and the only stomp box which gets a lot of use is the Small Clone, just to add a wee bit of colour.

Interestingly, I have the compressor quite early in the chain. I think it goes:

Screaming Bird (before Switchblade because it's only used with my SG Junior)
    Swithblade (to switch between SG Standard and SG Junior)
    Cry Baby (1)
    Dyna Comp (3)
    Tone Tattoo - Metal Muff (1)
    Tone Tattoo - Neo Clone (1)
    Tone Tattoo - Memory Toy (3)
    Ditto (1)
    Pedal Tuner
    Acoustikar (3 or 0)
    Phase 90 (1)
    Rat (2)
    Small Clone (12)
    DD-3 (1)
    Vibratrem (1)

The numbers in brackets are the number of songs each stomp box is actually used for.

The honest truth is that the layout is purely based on convenience of layout, rather than signal processing concerns, mainly because they are so rarely used in conjunction with each other, but there are some which are normally used together. For instance, the Rat is set to a very low distortion level, so it actually gives a very "Lo-Fi" sound, and it us used with the Small Clone to give a sound reminiscent of the sound often found on old soul records. I could easily put them either way round. May be I should try them out to see if it makes a lot of difference.

The Ditto is where it is because I need it to be on the front row for switching ease, as is the compressor, and the Acoustikar and Phase 90 are a bit out of the way because I rarely use them. The Acoustikar only gets used on gigs when I can't be bothered to take a separate acoustic set-up and the Phase 90 gets used for one song, which we don't even do very often these days.

The Small Clone is on the second row because I never switch it on the fly, if it's on for a song, then it's on for the whole song, but the Tone Tattoo is on the front row because, even though it's rarely used, when I do use it, the Memory Toy and Neo Clone sections are switched on the fly.

But I have been thinking of getting a programmable loop switching thingy ....