Upgrades to my No. 4

Sometimes I just can't leave things alone.

But these are for the better, honest. First of all I wasn't really happy with the tuners I had put on (cheap WD Music products no name ones), and always really wanted some locking tuners. I have some on my Number 5 (yellowheart), and love em, so got some more Vanson tuners for no 4. Even if I'm not using a trem, I like the ease with which I can change strings. Anything to advance my laziness, particularly if it's guitar gear :-) I think they look ok and certainly do the job. Feel good, tune easily and easy to use. Just slot the string through the hole and tune it up. And only £20 from Vanson on eBay.

TunersTunersTunersTuners

In another thread I mentioned how I have the neck pickup wired with connectors so it can be removed easily. I'm making separate scratchplates so all I have to do is unscrew and plug in the pickup. No soldering! So far it's just the P90, but I have one to fit a humbucker and some more blanks that will take a mini humbucker, a gold lipstick and maybe a traditional tele pickup.

4 neck
Wiring no. 4
Wiring no. 4

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    A very neat guitar.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 517Member
    edited March 11
    Thanks Kevin. I'm a locking tuners convert and would like to have them on every guitar. And I can't get enough pickups!
    Wilkinsons come on the Vintage brand. I'm hugely impressed with them.
    Wilkinson make some good stuff. I have a tremolo on one guitar that I just love. Their pickups are ok, not the greatest, but not the worst.
    Which Vintage do you have, Kevin?
    V6 Icon. Bought it blind on ebay. No regrets at all. I would really love a Vintage Les Paul V 100 Paradise but cannot justify it as I don't play electric much. Only £300 - ish but blows away even real Les Pauls in the flesh. It is utterly DELISH !

edited March 13
    Vintage bother to get their bookmatching right on the veneer tops, which Gibson do not. It's a little thing that's important to me. (I'm OCD about symmetry.)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    The Vintage - Wilkinson combination is a boon to the guitarist on a low budget - they do a good job in getting the maximum from a given lowish price point. Often in need of a shop / DIY set up, but that's not just something that only applies to the Vintage brand.

I have a Vintage Lemon Drop which punches a long, long way above its price point. The only negative was a not so good relic finish (the non-relic version was not available until recently), but the sound more than made up for that and then some! I really enjoyed that guitar while I was playing electric and it really encouraged creativity ... #1 priority for a musical instrument.

On your upgrade - I like your plug in pickups - something that makes life much easier for someone that likes to swap hardware around. All that soldering with pickups is very Heath Robinson, and a pain in the aspidistra. Great looking set of tuners installed on your No 4 - really suits the look of the guitar.
    I think most 'budget' instruments are going to need some TLC out of the box. You either learn to do it yourself or pay someone to do it, really. You'd be crazy not to at least try.

Thanks Mark. It does mean I'm not committed to certain pickups. Changing is fun! And the tuners are holding up well. Ta:-) glad you like em too. Not bad for the price. I'm really not sure what on earth you would get if you paid a lot more for Sperzels and the like.