Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Guess the actor.

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,695Member

Without looking at the text, who is this famous actor ?

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 749Member
    Ben Kingsley?
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,695Member
    Yup.

It would have taken me a long while to guess if I hadn't looked. A million miles from Ghandi. Good actor !
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 445Member
    edited March 10
    Mr K is amazing. I think the best actors are ones who you can't see because they are so inside the character. My favourite method actor is Gary Oldman. Apart from makeup, he's hard to recognise.

The other criteria for a great actor is a part that you couldn't imagine being played by anyone else because they own it - Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling come to mind. They can only be Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster.
    edited March 10
    Ooh. Manhunter was a darn good version of The Red Dragon, with good acting but did not make much box office. Here's Brian Cox preceding Hopkins - not as good but the storyline is way better in my opinion.

One of the best actors for emotion (if not playing other people) is Michael Douglas

But for sublime acting it has to be Tom Hardy in Locke.

Interesting. Those three aren't really on my To Watch list, but they will be now.
    edited March 11

How this lady didn't get an Oscar nomination... (fear is really difficult to act)

Tilda Swinton was excellent in this. (Not a nice film at all)

And Meryl Streep was tops in the Deer Hunter (I've never liked her work since.)
    Re: Fear, yes that's true.
    I checked IMDB for We Need to Talk About Kevin, and yea, it doesn't seem too pleasant. My wife and I check everything on the Parents Guide. It's amazingly helpful, telling you everything right down to if smoking is depicted, and what swear words are used. We're careful about what we watch and found that 'nudity' could mean a wide gamut of things, some you could put up with ('male buttocks are shown briefly') and obviously some we wouldn't. Hey, you can't unsee things.
    Definitely nsfc and the buttocks scene is way worse than stated. It's a harrowing film but is a master class in acting. Kevin is very good too.

We found that our kids could not be controlled beyond 12. Their exposure to things was largely determined by their peers - what with smart phones and computers (not necessarily their own.) Luckily our lads were both sensible and mature, similarly with alcohol which we exposed them to with moderation in early teens. It's all a bit of a worry but they could not have turned out better or more balanced.

Aliens, Game of Thrones - Breaking Bad was actually the best series and one of our lads is studying to be a research Chemist at Southampton such was the inspiration of Walter White (Brian Cranston.) The other's at Leeds training to be an NHS doctor.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

How this lady didn't get an Oscar nomination... (fear is really difficult to act)

Tilda Swinton was excellent in this. (Not a nice film at all)

And Meryl Streep was tops in the Deer Hunter (I've never liked her work since.)

A lot of the fear in TBWP was real because of the way it was shot and loosely scripted. That in no way detracts from the performance, of course.
    Actually we check the parents guide for things that WE watch! There's lots of stuff we don't want to watch.
    edited March 13
    Nick - I should imagine that's quite limiting these days. As regards comedy - kids TV is actually quite brilliant, inoffensive and genuinely funny, as adult evening TV used to be. The Slammer was one of my favourites, Horrible Histories and Sorry, I've Got No Head too.

23d - Yes. They put those 'actors' out there and made them really suffer. Quite brilliant and utterly chilling. In my top five of suspense films.

23d - Yes. They put those 'actors' out there and made them really suffer. Quite brilliant and utterly chilling. In my top five of suspense films.

Agreed. I'm not ashamed to say that my vivid imagination meant that I slept with a light on for a few nights after watching it for the first time.

Ditto.

Nick - I should imagine that's quite limiting these days. As regards comedy - kids TV is actually quite brilliant, inoffensive and genuinely funny, as adult evening TV used to be. The Slammer was one of my favourites, Horrible Histories and Sorry, I've Got No Head too.

There is still an enormous amount of good shows out there that don't feature nudity, gratuitous violence or distasteful themes. I'm not into some of the new pop dramas anyway, like Game of Thrones. Right now we're working through Lewis.
    We've already watched Spooks, Law and Order UK, Line of Duty, Silk, Leverage, Nobel, The Principal, Waking the Dead, Firefly, Wire in the Blood, Luther, Silent Witness and probably some others that I can't recall.

One series that I really loved but had to stop watching because I found it too disturbing was Criminal Minds. You won't see a spot of blood but it is really creepy. It's like the killers get in your head, which is what it's all about really.
    edited March 18
    You wouldn't have liked the stand-up comedy show I went to last night. Filth from end to end but very funny.

A comedian picked on me and I'm glad to say I bested him with a one-liner turning his own joke back on him. I got a laugh and a round of applause.
    Nope, don't do comedy shows I'm afraid. Made that mistake before!

That's like the cat who sat on the hot stove and never sat on another stove again...
    edited March 23
    Adult comedy shows are usually a bit X rated. The one's we used to take the kids to were just as funny without being profane.

That's like the cat who sat on the hot stove and never sat on another stove again...
    Nothing wrong with that. Actually we went twice. Why would you willing sit in a room full of people mocking your faith? I don't need to sit on the stove, there are no benefits so we do things that we enjoy rather than endure. Common sense, really.
    My favourite jokes are the really clean ones. My three favourite jokes are:

What do you call a Frenchman in sandals? Phillipe Filloppe!

I've just come back from the holiday of a lifetime. Ooh, never again, I tell you!

I had to sell my vacuum cleaner. Well, it was just collecting dust

I'm here all week ......
    edited March 24
    Dave - You must love Tim Vine then !

Nick - I hear you. There is one religion comedians dare not to mock, I gather you are not from that one. For their cowardice I find no religious joke funny (I used to love Dave Allen) - to mock one and not the other is not humour but discrimination and empowers one ideology above all others.

My favourite joke is the Swedish chemist joke, which is probably lost in translation in written form so here's the video:

Gotta love Not The Nine O'Clock News.

Yeah, Tim Vine is very funny, I think. Him and Milton Jones. The last two jokes both won the Perrier best joke award a the Edinburgh Festival.
    edited March 24

Nothing wrong with that. Actually we went twice. Why would you willing sit in a room full of people mocking your faith? I don't need to sit on the stove, there are no benefits so we do things that we enjoy rather than endure. Common sense, really.
    The problem is the cat never sat on a cold stove either...

You saw a few comedians and decided that the entire concept wasn't for you? Seems a little reactionary, but that's your loss... and your choice.

FWIW, I've always felt that if one's faith is secure one should be able to handle a little mocking in good humour. A sense of humour over our belief-systems makes us invulnerable... and laughter is the most direct route to God.

edited March 24
    23rd - I'm not sure Nick should take the risk again, though.

The Christian/Judaic religion (making assumptions) is a regular feature at comedy shows - but one religion isn't. So it's right for the rest to feel victimised and disrespected, especially where comedians show the utmost capacity for respect when violence is threatened.

It's discrimination pure and simple.

So it's a 'boo !' from me too whenever they venture onto the subject and attack safe and tolerant targets which were put in their place forty years ago by the likes of Dave Allen and the Python crowd, when it really was radical to do so.

The problem is the cat never sat on a cold stove either...

You saw a few comedians and decided that the entire concept wasn't for you? Seems a little reactionary, but that's your loss... and your choice.

FWIW, I've always felt that if one's faith is secure one should be able to handle a little mocking in good humour. A sense of humour over our belief-systems makes us invulnerable... and laughter is the most direct route to God.

There was a little more to it than that, but rest assured that I made an informed decision. I really don't feel that I'm missing out on anything, bearing in mind everything else that I do. What if I never listen to opera, play a sport or eat peaches - what could I possibly be missing out on? There's so much in the world to enjoy, I don't waste my time with things that don't interest me when there is so much that does. Life's too short!

Well, I do see what you mean, but there is a line between good humour and out and out disrespectful, hateful mockery. Trust me - I've heard it all! I have (and I think my friends will agree) a healthy sense of humour and laugh a lot. Just not at other people or their dearly held, well evaluated, values.

Dave - You must love Tim Vine then !

Nick - I hear you. There is one religion comedians dare not to mock, I gather you are not from that one. For their cowardice I find no religious joke funny (I used to love Dave Allen) - to mock one and not the other is not humour but discrimination and empowers one ideology above all others.

My favourite joke is the Swedish chemist joke, which is probably lost in translation in written form so here's the video:

That was great, Kevin. Loved NTNOCN back in the day.
    And thanks for agreeing. Nope, I'm not a muslim. But one comedian who I do think is pretty funny if not genius is Russell Peters. The only person I've heard of who can get people from dozens of different races and religions in one room. For any reason. He should head up the UN.

23rd - I'm not sure Nick should take the risk again, though.

The Christian/Judaic religion (making assumptions) is a regular feature at comedy shows - but one religion isn't. So it's right for the rest to feel victimised and disrespected, especially where comedians show the utmost capacity for respect when violence is threatened.

It's discrimination pure and simple.

So it's a 'boo !' from me too whenever they venture onto the subject and attack safe and tolerant targets which were put in their place forty years ago by the likes of Dave Allen and the Python crowd, when it really was radical to do so.

Yea, I'm a Christian. You're right, and I'm not crying victim here or anything, but it is a bias. The safe target gets all the ammo. The alternatives are to boycott, complain, write letters... How stupid would we all look? And it wouldn't go anywhere.
    "especially where comedians show the utmost capacity for respect when violence is threatened." Very good point.
    Actually, I've heard people complaining about The Life of Brian, but I thought it was brilliant. It was just a case of "What if..." Genius.