What do you call this? (Grover Jackson Content)

nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 600Member
GAK in Brighton have this for sale.

I know what I think. What do YOU think?

imageimageimageimageimage

And generally speaking - how do you like graphics on guitars? Yay / nay / if my kid did it I'd probably like it?

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 813Member
    Not for me, it's neither one thing or 'tother.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    I rather like it. I cannot say I'd rush out to buy one but I would love to own one.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    Bit tacky for my tastes. Would probably appeal to teenage boys
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 600Member
    I thought it looked like an A-level art project. That overspray on the stencil just looks awful on a guitar.
    I guess for me the whole scantily clad women on guitar stuff is a bit '80s (not to mention sexist). If it was more in the style of WWII bomber nose art then it might be a bit cooler.
    Definitely with you on the subject matter. I've seen some cool nose art on guitars, but I think this wasn't that well executed. The guy who did it is apparently a renowned stencil artist, but I wouldn't want Banksy ruining a guitar either.
    I'm just not much of a fan of 'artwork' on guitars. Generally speaking. I'm willing to change my mind if I think of something cool I want on a guitar, but it is a bit dated and reserved for Jackson style solid bodies.
    I always think the guitar is the art. Why ruin a thing of beauty in itself by painting on it?
    Exactly my thoughts. I'd rather see wood grain really.
    edited March 3
    Yeah, Like this!
    photo 06082009001.jpg
    Egads. To think that THAT somehow made it off a drawing board.
    Or Year 7 exercise book cover.
    It's actually a really nice guitar. She gets played at special gigs.
    Oh. Sorry. I'm superficial and flakey. I was going to say something about how it played.
    Not a good day for me, Dave. I'll be more careful.

So what is it? What is that guitars story?
    And yes that looks like a lovely piece of wood. Much better than being painted over!
    Ha ha, no worries. I'm well aware that it's fairly tasteless when all things are considered, but to be fair it looks a lot better in the flesh (or wood) than it does in that picture. It's a Minarik Inferno and was designed by John Minarik, who designed a lot of the BC Rich guitars. It's said that the flames are all tuned to accentuate the appropriate harmonics, but I'm not sure about that. It has no country of manufacture on it, and some say they're made in the USA, but I think they're actually made in Korea. It was only about £600, including a fitted hard case, so I can't see it being US made

I saw it in an ad for PMT in Guitarist magazine about 12 years ago and just had to have one. I went and bought it that afternoon! Apparently my example was tried out in the shop by Dave Hill from Slade, who was renowned for having wacky guitars. The singer in my old band used to say he loved it not because Dave Hill played it, but because Dave Hill rejected it. It was obviously too way out, even for him!

It sounds a bit like an SG, which is handy for me. Although it has a maple cap, it's very thin and the body is thinner than a Les Paul. The pups are a little weaker than my SGs, though.

It makes a lasting impression, though!
    You're too gracious, Dave! It actually sounds like a fascinating guitar now you've explained its history. I'm willing to bet that if you can play it in style, it would work.

Once in a while I get a hankering for something a bit wild, but talk myself out of it by checking my bank balance. But perhaps that's what we all need in our guitar collection - just one guilty pleasure that once the smirks have disappeared is actually a real treasure.
    Well, if you're not happy with the pickups, I'm sure Ben could help you out!

Oh and how come you have this in your collection but haven't devoted an entire thread to it? It would make a good start to a thread on wacky axes!
    That's true. I also have it tattooed on my leg as it's kind of become synonymous with me!

Our band have a tendency to dress up when we play for high-days and holidays. Usually I leave this guitar for the last few songs, but on the occasion when we did a Batman theme I was The Joker (heath ledger stylee) and we opened the show with the old Batman theme then segued straight into Sharp Dressed Man - it went down a storm!
    Your own signature guitar - THAT is cool!

That sounds like a fun gig! Where do you play?
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,805Member
    edited March 8

Yeah, Like this!
    photo 06082009001.jpg

I realise the luthier was going for 'flame' but instead he ended up with 1970s X movie 'growler'.

I realise the luthier was going for 'flame' but instead he ended up with 1970s X movie 'growler'.

Ha ha, yea, a nice ginger one!

Your own signature guitar - THAT is cool!

That sounds like a fun gig! Where do you play?

Not a signature guitar, by any stretch of the imagination! I wish!

We mostly play pubs and charity gigs & fundraisers. We're playing for a fundraiser Saturday night, in fact, so Talloulah will get an outing. Need to change her strings