What do you call this?

I never really understood the difference between semi acoustic, semi hollow, chambered and the other terms used for guitars that aren't solid bodies.
So what would you call this? Just out of interest.

It's a solid alder body, routed out and ready for the solid 6mm bookmatched walnut that I glued on top.

Lovely routing job, hey? Haha!

Number 3 bodyNumber 3 body


  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,139Member
    what are you doing with the chippings ?
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 930Member
    They're long gone, sorry. I made this about 5 years ago.
    Yea, a lot of chippings hey!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,153Member
    I have no idea, but it's a cool guitar design all the same!
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member
    I'd say a semi-acoustic is like a 335, so constructed like an arch-top acoustic but with a solid block up the middle, a hollowbody is like a jazzer, so an f-hole arch-top with pickups on, and semi-solid (or semi-hollow) describes this kind of thing.

    But I'm willing to take a second opinion .....
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 930Member
    Megi said:

    I have no idea, but it's a cool guitar design all the same!

    Thanks Graham:)

    It seems that Semi-Solid is the general consensus. Would it matter that the body is routed instead of made with strips of wood, like a 335? I would have called a 335 or a Rickenbacker 360/330 a semi-acoustic. Actually, Rickenbacker call their guitars semi-acoustic.

    I know this doesn't really matter. I can call it what I like! But I'm sort of curious.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 912Member
    Gibson do a range of smaller 335 types like the 336,339 and iirc one of them is indeed hogged out from a solid block and has a top glued on. So if Gibson can do it? the Rickenbachers are made the same way.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 930Member
    I figured the 339 was made the same way as a 335. Good to know! So it's a semi acoustic?
    There's a video tour on YouTube of the Rickenbacker factory that is fascinating.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,656Member, Moderator
    The 336 has a sound more like a Les Paul so that is probably the one that is one block of wood routed out. The 339 sounds more like a 335 so that is probably the one built as a hollowbody with a block glued in to take the neck and electronics.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 930Member
    I'll just call it a semi-acoustic hollowbody.

    Or Megi-cool, for short. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.