Hello! It's me, Nick.

2»

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,008Member
    I have visions of - like - a peg ? (As on a violin)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 818Member
    I feel well and truly welcomed. What a lovely bunch of chaps you are!!
    That's quite a stable you have there, Graham. That wiring looks fascinating too and something I'll have to try. I like wiring! I try to do things a little different with each axe so maybe I'll share some of my findings on a separate thread.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    Kevin: A gearless tuner works a bit like a micrometer. You have a very fine thread, and as you tension the string, it is pulled down through the body of the tuner. It makes for very accurate tuning as it cannot slip, there is no slack and no windings to tighten over time. If I remember rightly, they have a 40:1 ratio as against something like 18:1 for a standard tuner. These were the type of tuner used on guitars, particularly basses, with no headstock.
    Nice tuners Jocko. Where do get them from?
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    I got them from Stew Mac, in the States (where I bought most of the first build). They were not cheap (even dearer now), but worth it as far as I am concerned.
    Ah good ole Stewmac! I bought all the hardware for my first build from them, including some Gotoh locking tuners which are just great. I think I paid $40 for them twenty odd years ago.
    Good tuners are definitely worth the money, I agree. My dream is to put locking tuners on everything, but perhaps I'll do that one guitar at a time. Kids have to eat....!
    Thanks for the explanation and pictures, Jocko.

Nick said "I feel well and truly welcomed. What a lovely bunch of chaps you are!!"

Which way did you vote in the referendum ?

No. Don't answer. That was my joke in poor taste. We had a ding-dong on this site not long before you arrived. It's changed here a bit.
    BTW the cute face you see here is my dog, not me.
    I voted for you to remain, Kevin :-)

BTW the cute face you see here is my dog, not me.

I was wondering!
    On the other hand, that is me <-----, although I have more facial features.
    ESBlonde said:

Tell us more about yourself, have a go in the personal Diaries section if you like.

By the way, I hadn't forgotten your kind invite, Kevin. I'm just not sure where to start or what to say. I like the idea of a history told in guitar acquisitions. My life as a guitarist isn't really that interesting and not where I want to be, actually. It's almost like a guitarists mid life crisis where I cheat on my favourite guitar with lots of other guitars and spend more time 'fixing' and building than actually playing as a kind of work avoidance strategy aimed at preventing disappointment and failure.
    I chuck 'em all the time. There's only one that I really regret letting go - an old Yamaha acoustic which I picked up from Gig Sounds in Streatham.

I part exed it about twelve years later. It was probably just an bit of old lammy but I didn't know about construction/materials at the time.
    Thanks for voting for me to Remain, anyway. I wish another, who seems to have left, had remained here too. (My fault I fear.)

Anyway. Get yerself over to Mark Hussey's most recent post (Gran Vals) to see what company you're in.

Thanks for voting for me to Remain, anyway. I wish another, who seems to have left, had remained here too. (My fault I fear.)

Anyway. Get yerself over to Mark Hussey's most recent post (Gran Vals) to see what company you're in.

Alright, I think I will! Thanks for the tip, Kevin :)