Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

New pickups and rewire for Ibanez AS103 semi-acoustic

2»

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member
    edited February 19
    Getting that balance right with the pickup height can make a huge difference to the guitar sound and particularly sustain. Too low or too high and you lose sustain. It does seem to make an even bigger difference on a semi acoustic v a solid body, but that's maybe just my imagination.

Glad you managed to find the sweet spot! :smile:
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,499Member, Moderator
    I am constantly amazed at how much I learn on this forum from Megi's and others' experiences. I am going to have to check my guitars now as I have twiddled only a little with pickup height but I never knew what I was aiming for. Now I do. Thank you.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,690Member
    Thanks for the comments Mark and Lester. Mark, I think you could be right re pickup height making more of a difference on a semi-acoustic, since this is the first time I've had this experience. Not sure why that would be, but still, could well be the case.

Lester, I'm very glad if my experience is useful to yourself - if you do find some improvement from playing with pickup height, please do let us know. I, for one, would be interested. :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 445Member
    Actually that is a bit of a revelation to me, Megi. I have a Duncan 59 in a guitar that just wasn't sounding right, and I played with the height a bit, and lowandbehold it was not only louder but 'better'. Sweeter, more musical. I had always thought the height adjustment was just for volume and pickup balance, but now found that it has a lot to do with tone. And yes, this is a semi acoustic (I think...)

Let the experimenting continue!

Actually that is a bit of a revelation to me, Megi. I have a Duncan 59 in a guitar that just wasn't sounding right, and I played with the height a bit, and lowandbehold it was not only louder but 'better'. Sweeter, more musical. I had always thought the height adjustment was just for volume and pickup balance, but now found that it has a lot to do with tone. And yes, this is a semi acoustic (I think...)

Let the experimenting continue!

Great to hear about Nick, and again glad that my faffing around in search of a good tone has led to worthwhile results for you.
    Thanks Graham. I was ready to blame the guitar and thought I'd be in for a lifetime of pickup swapping (OH NO!! heheh) so I'm glad such a simple tip solved it. Thanks for posting your findings :)

Thanks Graham. I was ready to blame the guitar and thought I'd be in for a lifetime of pickup swapping (OH NO!! heheh) so I'm glad such a simple tip solved it. Thanks for posting your findings :)

In my case, I was (sorry Ben) kind of blaming the pickups - the guitar was just too nice to play acoustically for it to be that. But to be absolutely clear, the pickups really are doing what I wanted in spades, now I've got the height adjusted right - the guitar now sounds as good as I could ever hope - sustain, detail, warmth - it's all there. :)

Ooooo hearing about Ben's pickups is making me too excited. I'd love to hear that Alnico III humbucker. Any chance of a recording sometime? :smiley: