Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Saxophone!

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,623Member
One of the current ensembles I play in is a rock'n'roll / boogie-woogie band.

We play weddings / hotels / theatres and so on. But we don't play very often as we tend to avoid pubs - which rules out a lot of gigs. Anyway, I got to thinking that maybe a saxophone solo or two would fit in well. Having a pianist covering chords I could easily put the guitar down for 12 bars here and there.

Lo and behold I have a tenor sax in my cupboard that hasn't seen the light of day for about 10 years.

I've tried (usually at about 10 year intervals) to learn to play the thing and so I don't expect much. I'm not really worried about improvising (I've long given up improvising on the guitar - and I figure if I'm unable to improvise on an instrument that I can play then there's no chance on one I can't!) so it will be all about learning the scales, major and minor, and pentatonics and some riffs and solos. However, first up is getting the lip muscles back in order and sorting my breathing and getting a good tone.

So that's the new plan :-)

It's tricky because the sax is blinking loud and thus finding the right moment when no-one else is about (watching TV / sleeping) and I'm not working is hard. But hopefully I'll find some time most days.

It's also tricky because the first scale I have decided to learn is the one I'll need if the band is playing in E. And on a Bb tenor sax that means I'll be playing in F# / Gb. So I'm starting with the scale with the most sharps or flats, and the one that can be written out two ways. Curses!

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,695Member
    Funny enough I can do an impression of improvised sax. A kind of veeerping sound with my lips. So the ideas are in my head but I can't articulate them on an instrument.
    Great band !
    Bassist looks like Luke Goss.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,690Member
    Great stuff Derek - what's not to like?! I know seasoned sax players who would avoid playing in E (or any of the "guitar keys") like the plague, so well done for your non-defeatist attitude. :)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member
    Red Hot!!!!!! :smile:
    Mark - Couldn't agree more. I'd be happy if I'd booked that lot. I know money isn't the point but it's a good measure of musicality if people are prepared to pay for it. Look at bookings as being an acknowledgment of abilities.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 749Member
    Oh, yeah! Gotta love a bit of sax. Our keyboard player also plays sax and deserts the old ivories every so often for a sax solo.

I nearly bought a saxophone in India about 20 years ago when I was working there, but, as you say, they're loud and I decided the last thing I needed was being slung out of the hotel for playing saxophone too loud - mind you, they'd still be talking about it!
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 445Member
    Wow, you sound fab, Derek! It must be so much fun! I think you're right, a sax would be great. My wife took up sax three years ago having not touched the clarinet for over 30 years and just passed grade 8. I bet that with a couple of lessons you could easily get on track. She has played at church a couple of times, and on a soundtrack I recorded for a client, and I just had to write a few notes for her, nothing too difficult and she sounds amazing. If you get the tone, then you don't have to play a zillion notes to fit the song.
    Do it, Derek! Your band needs that sax!
    I was in Absolute Music in Poole the other day and was amazed to see them selling bright orange and bright yellow plastic trombones!
    What section would they play in an orchestra? Plumbing?

You may laugh but these plastic wind instruments are getting rave reviews.
    edited February 13

Seeing as you asked ! (Well. I anticipate that you'll ask.)
    Joe Gore is fantastic. Check out his channel and you'll never have a dull minute. Brilliant musician, avid experimenter and purveyor of fascinating pedals. His website has mounds of wisdom on electronics. A real fount of knowledge.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member
    Always a possible place for a saxophone in a group.

Or possibly the trademark two played at once if you're David Jackson in Van Der Graaf Generator.

Oops! Prog alert. :wink:

I saw the Blue Man Group in Chicago, as you do, back in 2005 and they built a percussion instrument on stage out of plastic plumbing pipes, with a sliding section so the tone changed as they were drumming and it was slid in and out. brilliant stuff!

I saw the Blue Man Group in Chicago, as you do, back in 2005 and they built a percussion instrument on stage out of plastic plumbing pipes, with a sliding section so the tone changed as they were drumming and it was slid in and out. brilliant stuff!
    Wow, that sounds fantastic! I've never seen them, but would love to. Yea, Chicago sounds like the place to see em!
    Stomp is a very good West End show and very easy to book if ever you're there and at a loose end.

You'd be amazed at the range of sounds that can be made with a box of matches.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,623Member
    I saw Stomp in a small theatre in New York. Wonderful experience!