New Guitar Day

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
edited January 9 in Guitar Chat
Couldn't resist it. I chopped in my Amalio Burguet M3, my Vintage V300 and my Epiphone DR 100 for a Sigma JM SG-45 (Gibson J45 rip off)

It is utterly stunning and a Gibson J45 Standard/Vintage at a fraction of the cost. It is better than the current Gibson Standard and halfway towards a True Vintage in terms of looks, sound and playability if not in wood specs (merely a laminate back and sides.) But hey. I'm no longer a wood snob and the price is low-ish for a reason.

I've got it home and forgotten already that I'm not actually playing a well made Gibson - it is that bang on. The finish is top notch and they have the tobacco sunburst just right. It comes with a Sonitone pick-up which I've used before and know to be good.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V_9GPD3xaqc

I traded the Burguet for £350 (bought for £550) as it has a fault owing to me taking it in and out of hot restaurants during winter for years. It had a belly bulge and the bridge was tilting towards the sound hole causing intonation issues. (No wonder I'd stopped enjoying playing it.) The DR100* and V300 I'd bought second hand for £80 and £100 respectively and had them for a couple of years. I had to make space and couldn't justify keeping them.

I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to guitars and I use Mansons as hire shop and 'library.' I think they must love me. This may just have revitalised my interest in playing again - and buys me another few years of trying out their rare vintages.

*I was sorry to see the DR100 go - I cannot praise it highly enough. Alas the Sigma covers its niche.

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Massive congratulations Kevin - I keep reading good stuff about the Sigma guitars, it seems they really are churning out some top stuff at moment. It can be hard to let old guitars go, but I completely understand your reasoning re chopping them in, making a bit of space, and then a nice fresh start with the lovely new Sigma. So enjoy! :)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    Thanks. (Too busy playing to type.)

Thanks. (Too busy playing to type.)

Glad you're playing again as well mate, too good to give up, as I said once before. :)
    Thanks once again. Aside a bit of cramp it's all still there. A bit like hearing someone else play actually. I don't know how it's happening because it's all muscle memory and I'm not thinking about it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 796Member
    I have to say that I'm looking at the Sigma alternatives although I started out pepared to pay fir a branded life time acoustic. Glad to hear you sing their praise, I shall investigate further.

Happy New Guitar Day.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,630Member
    Yayyy!! Top news :-) The man is playing again.
    Thanks Derek.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,630Member
    I've made no secret of my hankering for a J45. This could be a great alternative. I also like the look of the parlour. But then I'm also thinking of a resonator. Yet, I'm also determined not to buy any more guitars....
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    Congratulations Kevin! It's the guitar that works for you, whatever the label. :smile:

Laminate back and sides is not necessarily a bad idea - some well respected builders of guitars favour that route as it gives extra support for the top and allows the top to be made more responsive / thinner. Best guitar I've played in the £1k to £2k range was a laminate back and sides - should have got it, but was looking for even more, and failed in the attempt.

Enjoy your "J45", and enjoy that you've not been fleeced!
    Don't get me wrong. I think a decent 45 is worth every penny and I expect I was fleeced albeit to a lesser extent. I 'paid' retail for the new guitar and 'gave' them a low second hand value on mine. I could have tried to sell privately and spent a little less.
    I have a degree of sympathy with the retailers when they do trade ins. They have to sell on with 20% VAT added which they then have to pay to HMRC. They then have the overheads and wages involved in keeping the guitar and trying to sell it, possibly over many months, even years.

So the private sale is usually better on money, but it's often a lengthy, uncertain process and can involve problem buyers and being messed about with broken appointments and forged money.

I can't help feeling that if you're not confident of getting at least 30% more selling privately, and getting it quickly, that a trade in ain't necessarily such a bad deal.

The big plus though, is you have the guitar you connected with. THAT is worth quite a bit of financial pain.

They did a pretty in depth look at the Sigma SIG-JM-SG45 & Sigma SIG-LM-SG00 in an 'Acoustic Paradiso' video recently. They were very impressed and what came across was very impressive. Mick Taylors comment that these Sigmas sit in a very sweet spot on that exponential curve of cost v quality goes to the heart of it all.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yztiJchxlcY
    How do you link a YouTube Video to show in a video box on the post?! :blush:

Get your link. Right click and 'paste'.
    I am of the same mind about all you say on shops Mark. I don't expect the new guitar for free - nor Mansons letting me wander in and play all their rare vintages, at will, for years without buying anything.
    And shops sometimes have to contend with the people who go in, have a good look round, try a few things, find out what they like... ...and then go home and order it from the internet.
    Yes, Megi. The only time I ordered a guitar online was when I did a lot of research and really couldn't find the best one reviewed in the shops. (Vintage V6 Icon - great guitar !)

Usually I do this the other way around. I do my reviews online and buy in the most local shop. I want my high street to survive and I don't mind paying a bit extra for it to do so.
    Thanks for the idiots guide to linking a video Kevin - all I need to do know is remember!

I've tended to use online only for buying guitars that weren't available locally. A Tokai 'Les Paul Custom' and the Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop for example. I also had to go online with the search for P90 guitars when they were not in vogue at all ... my favourite local shop said it wasn't worth putting them up on the wall as they just wouldn't sell. I remember going around all the guitar establishments locally and there was not one to be had! So my PRS SE Soapbar was an online buy.

Like you Kevin I would like my favourite local stores to survive, and the Vintage VSA590 I did get through ordering it up at my favourite local shop despite it jacking the price up summat horrible.

I struggled to find parlour guitars locally too as my interest in them was before they made their recent comeback - it was all wall to wall dreadnoughts and other larger acoustics. Fortunately there were at least a few on the go. Seems to be the story of my guitar playing life that I'm always out of step with fashion - the result being something like a 50:50 split in online and shop bought instruments.

Is it my imagination or is there less of a price differential now between online and shops?
    No. It's not your imagination. My Sigma was actually discounted on the on-line price !

Buying a guitar is worth a trip to a major center or city if your local doesn't hack it.
    Nice one to get a discount over the on-line price!

With a population of about 0.5 million my 'local' is the second biggest centre within reasonable striking distance, only beaten by 0.6 million (150 mile round trip). Over 400 miles round trip after that to get to anywhere bigger!

It was a 280 mile round trip when I got the Lowden. Shame it turned out to be a choice that didn't stand the test of time!

So many guitar shops, understandably, seem to be very cautious and only stock major brand bigger sellers. So there's so much duplication between shops and if you go up the price scale it's very difficult to find anything other than Martin and Taylor in the acoustic line round here - not great if you find nothing that makes those brands special for you. Which I don't.
    Not that buying any more guitars, especially expensive ones, is on the cards for me anyway!
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Mark. Have a look at Kenny's Music. They have an outlet in Dunfermline (where I got my Larrivée). I know you are not "buying", but their site is nice even for "looking".
    "Shame it turned out to be a choice that didn't stand the test of time!"

I've come to realise now that none of them ever do. Even a truly great guitar will need a second to cover its failings.

I listened to the wonderful Jolene (Parton) the other day. Obviously played on a small bodied guitar - quite different to my Jumbo 'forever' guitar ! A fantastic example of acoustic guitar recording.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,505Member, Moderator
    Now look what you made me do, Kevin: I just ordered that CD!
    edited January 26
    Sorry.
    Jocko said:

Mark. Have a look at Kenny's Music. They have an outlet in Dunfermline (where I got my Larrivée). I know you are not "buying", but their site is nice even for "looking".

That looks a very good selection of brands and guitar types in the acoustic section. Looks to me like it beats the bigger shops in Edinburgh.

Had I been looking I think I'd be tempted to have a closer look in person. :smile:

You're right Kevin that one guitar will probably never "do" on its own.

But for one guitar not to make it in the company of three other guitars costing much less combined, means it has to miss the category of 'great' for me. High quality - yes indeed. But to be 'great' in my books a guitar needs to suit me and to inspire me to make music and make me feel it helps me to get the best results possible from my limited abilities.
    It could well be 'great' for someone else of course, and I'm sure that Lowden would be.
    As Clapton says "If they don't play easy they don't get played"

I think by 'easy' the guitar has to work with YOU.

As Clapton says "If they don't play easy they don't get played"

I think by 'easy' the guitar has to work with YOU.

You're / he's absolutely right - it's a partnership - at its best it can feel like playing in a duo.
    Ideally the guitar will be quite skilled at, and will work hard at, hiding my mistakes too. :smile: