Christmas CDs

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,731Member
edited January 1 in Totally Not Guitars
As well as my most excellent Simple Minds CD (which could do what Eric Clapton's unplugged album did for acoustic) I have Best Of compilations of Human League and also Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark. I am pleased that Radio 2 have finally moved on to my generation's music but it does seem that they stick to the Big Hair rock version of late 70's/early-to-mid 80's music: Bon Jovi et al. There was such variety in fact: Punk, New Romantic, New Wave and second generation Ska, ie The Specials and Madness. I suppose early Grunge is my generation's too, seeing as I am only two years older than Kurt Kobain RIP.

Yes. Spandau Ballet gets a lot of airtime (never my favourites) and I expect this is more to do with the Kemp brothers being BBC actors.

Otherwise it is as though none of this music ever existed. Queen still gets done to death and it now features on furniture adverts - sacrilege !

Is Kevin ever happy ?

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,746Member
    edited January 4
    There was great stuff going on in the late 70s early 80s I have to agree. I hated punk at the time (being a poncy teenager who thought prog rock and intellectual stuff was proper music, along with Simon and Garfunker) but now I do appreciate at least some of it, and also the effect it had on subsequent musical developments. I do now listen to some 80s stuff that I didn't at the time (e.g. The Specials) - a lot of different things going on at the same time then, and a good period to explore.

I was into Nirvana when that happened in the early 90s (hopefully didn't listen to that too much, and could go back to the albums and still enjoy now). How old was I then? - I guess late 20s, so I'm happy to say that's still "my generation".

Afraid I'm now a bit tired of Queen, and that could have a lot to do with the continual use in adverts. A great band though, and I suppose I'd still enjoy their earlier albums, which maybe aren't so over-played.

A lot of stuff does get ignored, or largely so, that's true. I was annoyed when a recent BBC documentary about the history of Indie music completely missed out the early 90s shoegaze bands (which is a favourite of mine) - yes I am talking about you Mark bloody Radcliffe. There seems to be a tendency to revise and simplify musical history, and present a nice, media-friendly, sanitised version of things. Bollocks to that I say - to be resisted! :)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,731Member
    ...to be resisted !
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,627Member
    I feel like I always travelled on a little branch line rather than the mainline. I should have been right there in the 80s with all that pop music, but instead I was somewhere else listening to obscure stuff. Aside from Smells Like Teen Spirit I couldn't name and wouldn't recognize anything by Nirvana. OMD, Human League, et al, it all just passed me by. These days the same thing happens with 99% of stuff - but as I'm old now I can get away with not being into pop music.

I did get a Jeffrey Foucault CD and a Harry Manx CD for Christmas. Which I guess sums up my first paragraph :-)
    I heard various '80s Brit musicians on R2 today. Perhaps I've been channelling them.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,627Member
    I'm currently on a Bonnie Raitt / KD Lang / Linda Ronstadt kick. Catching up on great - no, superb - albums I missed years ago. I suspect in 20 years I'll be catching up on the albums I'm missing today (though I am also on a Rebecca Ferguson kick, incl her current album. She's the exception that makes all of X-Factor worthwhile).
    Why not post the track that is giving you your best kick here. This is mine for the time being:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lAVt9Y-4XRs
    Not sure what my favourite track of the moment is. I have been listening to Nigel Price's latest album "Heads and Tails Volume 2" - it's a two cd job, the second of which features double-tracked guitar "duets":

Wow. THat's really high brow. Is it an indie production ?
    edited January 19

Wow. THat's really high brow. Is it an indie production ?

High brow eh? I've never really thought of anything I listen to in those terms, and I hope that doesn't imply it's hard for people to appreciate in general. It was "CD of the month" in the most recent edition of Guitar Techniques magazine, which I buy in the vague hope it will improve my guitar playing somehow, not sure it ever has... :D

Is it an indie production? - I guess it is, on Whirlwind Recordings, who have this website:

http://www.whirlwindrecordings.com/

Mostly contemporary jazz stuff by the look of it. I got my CD direct from the man himself though, at a recent concert he did. Liking that Simple Minds & KT Tunstall track by the way. :)
    I think of jazz as sophisticated. Min9ths, 13ths and 6/9ths... and as for embelishments... the nearest I usually get to a flurry is McDonald's.

I think of jazz as sophisticated. Min9ths, 13ths and 6/9ths... and as for embelishments... the nearest I usually get to a flurry is McDonald's.

You've probably used a lot of these things without realising - such chords occur in all sorts of music (I'm sure you know this really). That's very good re McDonalds! :D