Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Driftwood guitar

RomanMRomanM Posts: 469Member
edited December 2016 in Personal Diaries
Hello all,

Some might still remember me. :) My life is quite stable, busy stable with day job and kids on weekends. Hobbies and interests drift around. I have really very little time to spare. I improved my playing a bit, teaching myself to more pentatonic positions than nr one. etc. Haven't finished any more builds after the walnut tele. My favorite guitar is still red strat with EJ pickups inherited from Megi.

Today I covered quite a distance with this new build. It might be quick or slow from now on I don't really know. I can also deviate from this initial idea of a driftwood look and feel.

Wire brushed and steel wool + vinegar die so far. When colour stabilises and it is dry in a day or two I will decide how to proceed - from just truoil all over to changing the plan totally.

How does one attaches pictures now?.. Well, will find out and share.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas? Best wishes for the New Year!

Roman

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,694Member
    Hi Roman! It's great to hear from you - it's been so quiet on the forum lately, so please do stick around. Personally, I love that driftwood look - did you get the wood like that yourself, and if so how did you do it? As you know, I like to keep the wood texture in my own builds, but that is taking it to another level :D

Hope you had a great Christmas too, and have a good new year too mate. :)
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    That piece of timber looks brilliant. I have always gone down the "smooth" path, but that would change my mind.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member
    That's a beautifully figured grain Roman! :smile:

I could imagine a stunning looking guitar could develop from that.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,696Member
    Good photos and a lovely choice of wood there.
  • RomanMRomanM Posts: 469Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for good comments guys!

I got this swamp ash body from Guitarbuild in the very beginning of this round of my guitar hobby some 3 years ago shortly after I joined this forum. Jocko's influence then and his ash tele. It was waiting on the shelf until several days ago. I was then inspired by Fender's "sandblasted" series (pls google). Not sure that Fender are really sand blasting their bodies. Wire brushing was what I did. The idea is that darker grain in ash wears quicker making groves and lighter wood stays like "hills". I read somewhere that blasting with sand will wear both types of wood too quickly therefore won't reach same effect. Therefore some other media for blasting is required - like fine milled walnut or some plastic granules, etc. Exactly! Too complicated. In natural wood floor making they use wirebrushing to create 3d effect of aged wood. Manual wire brush did the job for me, and lots of muscle work (3 days later muscles still hurt a bit, need to visit the gym more often then never!). and lots of cleaning aftwerwards. :) I don't pretend I invented it, I saw it somewhere.

Now, it won't stay "driftwood". I am not too impressed with this sattle grey-brown hue of vinegar-iron. black stain all over, sand the highs, crimson stain again, oil finish.

For the first time bought finishing products from Crimson Guitars: two stains and their finishing oil. Will report back to you on results.

Have slight doubt, which won't change my plans, how acidity of vinegar in the top layers of wood will affect the stain and oil, both immediately and when ageing.

Roman
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,696Member
    It'll look really nice with the ironmongery on it.

soft touch of titanium. who needs wood!
    Crimson lucky guys must be very busy with orders. Ordered 26/12. 2 weeks of "Processing Order", now full week of "Packaging Order". It's OK. There's no rush! :)
    RomanM said:

Crimson lucky guys must be very busy with orders. Ordered 26/12. 2 weeks of "Processing Order", now full week of "Packaging Order". It's OK. There's no rush! :)

That is a bit on the slow side I must say Roman - hope it's arrived by now?
    Nope. Status went "Preparing" to "Packing" to "Delayed". A nice (automatic) email received with apologies when it went "Delayed". I am not anxious. I've delayed my builds for a lot longer.
    Good heavens! it's arrived! Nice one Roman, I look forward to seeing the results. :)