What music have you been listening to lately?

MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
Just interested, and we did used to have some good threads along this line - always fun to find out about other peoples musical tastes and new discoveries. A few months ago, I randomly discovered "2814" on YouTube, and haven't stopped listening to them since, especially the "Birth of a New Day" album.

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Varied selection recently - and I seem to have forgotten how to link a YouTube Video so it shows properly on the post, so I've just done links. :blush:

DVDs of -

Martin Simpson Podigal Son The Concert,

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z1yK96KKoQQ

Christy Moore Come all You Dreamers Live at Barrowlands, accompanied by Declan Sinnott. My favourite live music DVD.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uYpgsPB-Bkw&list=PL-7xL2KjkGQoo6stxmQhhK9FWz-Iu8a1b

Also just listening to audio of -
    Jeff Russo's Fargo Original Soundtrack,
    Rolling Stones Blue & Lonesome,
    John Mayall Live with Peter Green.

Not too sure I see much of a pattern there!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    Glad to see there's still some classic Peter Green in there Mark! Cheers for posting :)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Megi said:

Glad to see there's still some classic Peter Green in there Mark! Cheers for posting :)

The sound quality is not wonderfully good as it comes from some bootleg tapes made back then by a keen fan, but the recordings are good enough to hear the class and quality come through.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    "Just... Fabulous Rock ʻnʼ Roll" - the new Cliff Richard album. Some classic Rock n' Roll with lovely guitar work. In fact the session musicians do a brilliant job across the board.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 661Member
    I'm a bit of a prog nerd (which if you're willing to admit probably means "a massive nerd to the point that my wife won't let me connect my iPhone to the car stereo..."). Lately I've been listening to the new Marillion album, FEAR (which I preordered so I have my name in the credits) and British Theatre, a U.K. duo. Bruce Soord and Pineapple Thief are played regularly too (in private...!)
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    I've been very much enjoying Sufjan Stevens and Lisa Hannigan of late.

I'm a bit of a prog nerd (which if you're willing to admit probably means "a massive nerd to the point that my wife won't let me connect my iPhone to the car stereo..."). Lately I've been listening to the new Marillion album, FEAR (which I preordered so I have my name in the credits) and British Theatre, a U.K. duo. Bruce Soord and Pineapple Thief are played regularly too (in private...!)

Wouldn't say I'm quite a prog nerd, but I do find it an interesting area of music, and like quite a bit. Marillion still on the go eh? Good for them, I do remember really enjoying that album they did with Kayleigh etc. on back in the 1980s, bit of a classic that one! I'll look up British Theatre, not to mention Bruce Soord and Pineapple Thief, having never come across any of those. :)

I've been very much enjoying Sufjan Stevens and Lisa Hannigan of late.

I must give these a listen - I think you might have mentioned Lisa Hannigan before 23rd. Anyhow, I'm in a mood for venturing into some new music. :)
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    edited February 12
    They're both very chilled folksy kinda artists.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lJJT00wqlOo
    Megi said:

Wouldn't say I'm quite a prog nerd, but I do find it an interesting area of music, and like quite a bit. Marillion still on the go eh? Good for them, I do remember really enjoying that album they did with Kayleigh etc. on back in the 1980s, bit of a classic that one! I'll look up British Theatre, not to mention Bruce Soord and Pineapple Thief, having never come across any of those. :)
    Yup, Marillion are still more than alive and kicking and have come a long way since Kayleigh (thank goodness!). In the 90s they invented the concept of crowdfunding albums and have conventions every two years which are weekends of three concerts and special events. We went to the last one and it was a blast! Marillion fans are like no others and genuinely like family. The concerts are fantastic experiences. FEAR is well worth a listen if you haven't heard them in a while. Or go to Marillion.com and order a sampler CD with a smattering of tracks from various albums. Or just check them out on YouTube.
    Ok I'm a huge fan, I'll stop now!
    Thanks for that info Nick, and forgive me for mentioning the K song - I guess more of a pop number than true prog, and perhaps of it's time. The album maybe won't have aged too well either, but I do remember it being very popular in the mid 80s. Anyhow, enough about that.

Nothing wrong with being a huge fan! - we all have our musical obsessions, and forum members have had to tolerate me blah-ing on about some of mine before now. But it's good to be positive about music, rather than criticising (I have been guillty of that in the past also). I'll have a listen to some more recent Marillion on Youtube. :)
    That's ok, Meg. Megi. Well, I didn't want to say that it is something of a bugbear for fans, but as it happens it was kind of 'Our Song' (my wife and I) back in the day. Long story ;-)
    No, the album didn't age well, apart from the nostalgia attached to it. They did play it at the weekend in 2015 which was quite cool.
    I agree, positivity is much needed. It's far too easy to criticise what you don't like than praise what you do like. Thanks for being open minded :)
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 764Member
    I was in Absolute Music buying a few bits and bobs and they had a charity CD containing tracks which all had Absolute Music staff either playing on or producing. I was really surprised how good it was, especially the quality of the vocals, and how good the production was. So that's been playing continuously in the truck for a while.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    I've been listening to Queen a lot (not that I want to.)

I've been listening to Queen a lot (not that I want to.)

LOL You can't argue with that guitar though. Brian May certainly knows what he's doing.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    Yes. I probably know what he's doing better than he does now !
    Haha!
  • onemanbandonemanband Posts: 91Member
    Sam Cooke................what a voice!!
    Thanks for the posts chaps - so far we have:

Sam Cooke
    Queen (reluctantly)
    Absolute Music staff
    Marillion
    Surfjan Stevens
    Lisa Hannigan
    Cliff Richard
    Martin Simpson
    Christy Moore
    Jeff Russo's Fargo Original Soundtrack
    Rolling Stones
    John Mayall with Peter Green

and the weird futuristic ambient stuff I started with, i.e. 2814, which I still keep listening to. A fairly wide spread of taste, but what will be next I wonder?

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 764Member
    I'm loving Spotify as it means I get to listen to stuff I might not want to take the plunge and shell out for on spec. I've been listening to a guy called Dave Evans - AMAZING fingerstyle guitarist. Check out his song "Stagefright"