For no particular reason - up to date pic of the Megi Shine SIL-510s

MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
Just took a shot today of these guitars, still my main gigging tools, but much loved (by me at least!) also. The red one has had Chris Hernandez/Wound4Sound pickups fitted for a fair old while now - still sounding lovely, and the grey-black one has pickups made by Ben Fletcher, which have turned out to be a wonderful buy also, and I think the cream pickup bobbins really suit that guitar too.

Comments

• Just TelJust Tel Posts: 498Member
    They are both looking good Megi. Coincidentally I have been thinking about a possible pup swap on mine but haven't got any further than thinking because I don't know what I want.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
    Just Tel said:

They are both looking good Megi. Coincidentally I have been thinking about a possible pup swap on mine but haven't got any further than thinking because I don't know what I want.

If you do decide you really fancy new pickups Tel, you could do a lot worse than email Ben Fletcher - he was very happy to discuss my requirements re playing style/sounds I like/sounds of famous guitarists I like etc. etc. and then made me pickups to suit, and did a very fine job - I'm still amazed at how well he read things. The cost was a ridiculous £25 per pickup for the set now in the black Shine - I think he's gone up to £35 each for humbuckers now, which is still fairly outrageous value.

Also, if you're going ahead with new pickups for your Shine, one tip I'd give is don't get them with the metal covers, as it makes for an uncomfortably tight fit in the surround/routing, and can cause issues with getting the pickup to sit right and adjustability - I speak from experience. The uncovered type look good, and fit well.

Ben Fletcher's website though - have a browse! http://shedguitars.wixsite.com/fletcherpickups

• Just TelJust Tel Posts: 498Member
    Thanks for the info Megi. I think Ben Fletcher is a good way to go for me as I don't know what I want and it would be good to be guided by someone who knows what they are talking about. Also I wouldn't bother with covers as that's the one thing that I dislike on the Shine as it is now.
    Will probably look at it after christmas.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
    No worries JT, just a recommendation I can make from personal experience, and FWIW. :)