Typhoon Megi

MegiMegi Posts: 6,792Member
edited October 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
When I chose my forum name, I had no idea they would be naming a typhoon after me, but it does seem to be the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Megi_(2016)

Who would have thought it? Found out about this reading this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37711677
:)

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,792Member
    I suppose nothing to celebrate - just reading about the death and destruction caused. Not meaning to be flippant - the perils of posting at 2.27am, without fully engaging the old brain.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,520Member, Moderator
    I couldn't sleep last night and ended up going to bed at 3am. Today I am preparing for a gig this evening, two tomorrow and one on Sunday, all inbetween finishing mixing a CD of children's songs my wife and I have recorded, so no time to post more right now, although I do check in every morning - and I even noticed your really interesting topic on fretboard.co.uk about a Strat doing jazz, a topic I hope to pick up when I get some free time, probably next month.
    Thanks for that reply Lester - lately I find myself waking up at 2.30-3.30 ish and noodling around on the web for an hour or so, then going back to sleep. It doesn't seem to be doing me any harm anyhow.

Best of luck with your upcoming gigs, and indeed the CD mixing. The "strat for jazz" topic was due to a genuine revelation for me - just using the guitar in a slightly different context, and suddenly I found myself using not just the neck pickup, but the other two pickups as well for certain things, and it all seemed to sound good and make musical sense. It will be back to one of the Shines for a gig this evening though, and no effects, bar a little reverb from the amp - straight ahead restaurant background music jazz this time. We have a guest keyboard player, which takes a bit of the pressure of me - I have got used to soloing with just a bass player, which can be tricky (although fun) but nice to have someone playing the chords sometimes.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 814Member
    Megi, before the era of clocks and factories it was common for people to have split sleeps as the norm. Samual Peeps mentions his 'second sleep' in his diaries. The advent of factories and shift working plus artificial light means we all have to be at a given place at a given time and thus daybreak, dusk, and natural sleep are no longer relevent to us westerners.
    ESBlonde said:

Megi, before the era of clocks and factories it was common for people to have split sleeps as the norm. Samual Peeps mentions his 'second sleep' in his diaries. The advent of factories and shift working plus artificial light means we all have to be at a given place at a given time and thus daybreak, dusk, and natural sleep are no longer relevent to us westerners.

I guess so ES. I do think maybe my sleep patterns could be a bit better though - sometimes I seem to be going to bed quite early, feeling a bit knackered, and then on other days I'm having late nights (often if there's a gig involved). And the waking up in the early hours thing can be a bit unsettling somehow, even if I feel OK in the morning. I could only consider myself a semi-pro guitarist at most, but I do feel like perhaps I should drop a couple of the bands I'm involved with, and just free up a few evenings. But I've been on about this not so long ago, so it's down to me to figure it out really, ho hum...
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    I can imagine it would be a bit surreal having your pseudonym used to name a typhoon. If they name one The23rdMan we're all in trouble. :/
    Let us hope that never comes to pass 23rd! :)
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,226Member
    I like that idea of 'split sleeps'.

I guess I employ that technique in a limited way at the weekend and when I'm on holiday from work. Afternoon siestas a favourite - even in the cold winds of Scotland. Sometimes a pre lunch nap too. Could be I'm just a lazy sod of course! :wink:

But I wish I could recapture that experience of waking up feeling refreshed and not just slightly less knackered.