Selling up.

JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
I have decided to sell all my gear, with the exception of my acoustic. I will have to hang on to that, as it cost over a grand and I still haven't broken in the strings yet. I have pretty well given up on playing guitar, so there is not a lot of point in having a room full of unused instruments. I know I will lose hand over fist, money wise, but they need to go. I am going to advertise them on Gumtree, one at a time, until they are gone.
I still intend working on guitars, only just not mine. I have still to make a start to the Squier Mustang. I just cannot get in the mood for it. I am busy with work just now and when I get in in the evening it is just a case of dinner, a bit of TV then early to bed.

Comments

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,629Member
    It's a shame you're no longer playing, Jocko. But at least by retaining an acoustic there's always hope!! It's getting close to a time when I shall have to sell a few - for reasons of non-use. But I'm trying hard to resist!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    Hope this isn't catching Jocko! First Kevin's gone right off guitars, and now you.

Like Derek says it's a shame you're no longer playing.
    It does make sense to keep one, and it might make sense to keep an electric too.

Question is what happens when you finally stop working and you're fit for more than just dinner, bit of tv and bed? Will the desire return?

You have to be a bit wary too of the cyclical nature of enthusiasm for a hobby that waxes and wanes. However if it's a gradual sell off and the enthusiasm returns you could well still have some left.

If they're not being used and aren't going to be used then you're right - there's no point in keeping them. You can look on it too as not so much selling them at a loss, because any money you do get in is better than the no cash you'd have for having a load of unused gear. That's the argument I used with myself when I sold my Lowden and I was pretty well convinced by the argument and I still am.

I've probably contradicted myself several times in the above advice and suggestions. It's all very confusing. :smiley:
    I still have four electric guitars and I only play one every couple of months or so.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    My lapse from playing guitar started when I was completely retired, so now I am working part time hasn't made a difference. My bass guitar hasn't been touched in three years, and the rest have only been played 3 or 4 times apiece in that time.
    I have to admit that raising a bit of cash is the main reason I am parting with them. The space I get back is really just a bonus.
    The first will go on Gumtree this weekend but there is no great rush to get rid of them and I will keep my Swamp Ash Tele till last. I will also keep my Blackstar Fly amp as I use that for my Xbox and laptop.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,504Member, Moderator
    edited October 2016
    These are my memories of your guitars, Jocko, from 5 years ago.

Getting shot of guitars that you know for sure that you will not play seems a good move, especially as you say you will hang onto the swamp ash Tele for now. If I remember correctly, your wife will be pleased to see fewer guitars around the house. So, what with getting some money for them it sounds like you have a plan. I hope it works out well for you.

Just one question: Gumtree, is that the best place to sell guitars?
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    I've never had a problem selling on Gumtree. As long as you're smart it's better than most places, but if I were you, John, I'd look at the fretboard forum. A very active classifieds section.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    I won't sell by mail. Gumtree means the customer comes to see the goods and there is no. "it was damaged when it arrived". My brother regularly shops for guitars and equipment on Gumtree.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    That's your choice, John. Good luck - I hope you get what they're worth, buddy.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    I can understand why you feel the need to sell up and clear the decks Jocko, if guitar playing is not going to be a big thing for you in the future. And keeping a nice acoustic does seem sensible - I would only echo Mark P's thought that it might be an idea to keep one electric guitar also. Obviously that's up to you though, and I do hope you get good sales and the guitars find good homes.