Squier Vintage Modified Mustang.

My latest "commission" is a full set up on a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang. My nephew (same one with the SG (and a Strat and my old Epi acoustic)), has bought it as a Christmas present to himself. It was for sale, in Cash Generator, for £130. It is absolutely mint - apart from a set of rusting strings - but is well in need of a set up. He says it keeps going out of tune and suspects the strings, but the nut may be at fault too. I have never worked on the tremolo system on a Mustang, so it will be a learning experience. The good news is he isn't allowed it until Christmas Day so there is no rush.
Anyone any experience of Mustangs?

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    No, Jocko. Aren't they the one with a trem like a Jaguar that disappears under a metal plate? I'd change the strings first and set the action and intonation first and see how it is. Rusty string will always end up in horrendous intonation, so I'd try the easy option first
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    My intention is to the the whole thing. I know there are sometimes issues with that style of tremolo. At first glance the truss rod needs a bit of adjusting before anything else. I'll start it shortly, and keep you all informed.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,792Member
    You'll have it set up to perfection before long I know Jocko. I believe these guitars have a short-ish 24" scale length, beyond that I really don't know a whole lot. Any chance of a pic or two along the way?
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,792Member
    Jocko said:
    Aha - quite nice for playing stretchy chords on I would imagine.
    Only taken a month and a bit but I finally got round to setting up the Mustang today. It was a new experience on many fronts. First time I have dealt with that bridge style and, believe it or not, the first time I have strung a guitar with vintage style tuning pegs.
    I set the truss rod before removing the old strings, leaving it for a couple of hours to settle. I then checked the clearance over the first fret. The wound strings were slightly higher than optimal but not enough to file any deeper, and the plain strings were spot on. I removed the old strings and oiled the fretboard (rosewood) using F-One Fretboard Conditioner.
    The guitar looks like it has never been played and, judging by the pristine condition, has seldom been out of its case. After lubricating nut and saddles with Nut Sauce I fitted a set of D'Addario EXL110 strings, and after tuning and stretching I played more guitar than I have done in months!
    Guitar is now back in its case. I'll take it out at the weekend and check truss rod. If I don't need to adjust it (same strings now as before) I'll set the intonation and pass it back to Kevin. It is certainly a lovely guitar.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,816Member
    Pictures ?
    Didn't take any.
    Guitar is bog standard, mint condition, Fiesta Red with Rosewood fretboard. Just like in their adverts.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    How did you find the trem? Did you need to adjust it at all?
    The entire trem/bridge set up is rubbish. As my nephew has no intention of using the trem I slid the bridge as far forward as possible. You can slide it back and forward as takes your fancy! I read that you should set it back, so that if you dive, the bridge can move forward then return as you release the trem. However, if you tune up with the bridge back, then strum really hard, the bridge slides forward. Perhaps I am missing a trick here, but the way I set it works great for the use it will be given.