Gig days and photos

LesterLester Posts: 1,513Member, Moderator
edited September 2016 in Guitar Chat
We all have stories to tell about the gigs we have played. Here is a place and an invite to tell. If you have a photo, all the better.

I'll start with two recent gigs.

Firstly, as my wife is a piano teacher I was invited to perform with her at the music school's teachers' concert. Playing jazz in a classical music school was fun and seemed to be appreciated by the audience.

Last Saturday we gathered a few friends and played at a wedding held in a hotel. Jazzy arrangements put a bit of life into the event. So often I find the seriousness and formality of a wedding ceremony rob the occasion of its joy and happiness.

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,774Member
    Those look to be nice gigs to do Lester, and nice to see that Burny 175 being put to good use. Can I ask what tunes/music you did? - just curious.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,513Member, Moderator
    edited September 2016

Here is one song that gives you an idea of our style. We were a put-together band that practised twice, with the cajon player joining us on the eve of the wedding. The songs are just my slightly jazzy arrangments* of songs most of these folk know from singing in church, so the tunes are familiar and that made getting up to speed so much easier.

* Just how jazzy can you sound using 7ths, swing time and jazz-sounding instruments? I need (and want) to study more in this direction.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,635Member
    Nice work Lester. Some mellow playing there. I'd love to play a bit more jazz and swing, but I know that it's just a genre too far. I'm very consciously restricting myself to fingerpicking these days.

Meanwhile here's a snap from a festival this summer. Yours truly digging into some slide on the Stones' "No Expectations".

Lester said:

Here is one song that gives you an idea of our style. We were a put-together band that practised twice, with the cajon player joining us on the eve of the wedding. The songs are just my slightly jazzy arrangments* of songs most of these folk know from singing in church, so the tunes are familiar and that made getting up to speed so much easier.

* Just how jazzy can you sound using 7ths, swing time and jazz-sounding instruments? I need (and want) to study more in this direction.

Nice music Lester, and well arranged - kind of a Latin or Calypso feel to that one I'd say. Thank you for posting that anyhow, I was just being nosy, but most enjoyable.

Not sure if it's a rhetorical question you ask, but if I can answer anyhow, I would say very jazzy indeed! Not that I'm an expert, but I do think the most important element in jazz is the rhythmic feel - get that right, and good things tend to follow. There used to be a clip by guitarist Emily Remler on YouTube that I liked to link to in this regard, but I think it's been taken off now. However, I did find that Justin has done a clip, and he mentions Emily Remler as inspiration, so hats off to him:

Nice pic Derek - wish I could play slide. You really should clean the dust on the headstock though, when was the last time you changed the strings? :wink:
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Think the "dust" is just reflections.
    Could be Jocko, but it kind of looks like dust to me... :D
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,513Member, Moderator
    Thanks Megi, much appreciated.

Nice photo, Derek.
    I change strings reasonably often- on the electrics it's every three gigs, and on the acoustics probably three times a year on each guitar. But the guitars are always out at home and it doesn't take long for that dust to land.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,779Member
    Great posts and links.

Damn ! Derek playing a TW40 !!!
    It's a super guitar, Kevin. That and the TW60 (below - same gig as the above) are my two main giggers. I love them both.

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,779Member
    Totally agree, Derek. Way beyond their price range.
    Just in case anyone thought otherwise, I was only joshing about the headstock dust... Those Tanglewoods do look to be fine guitars I must say. Do they do a cutaway version I wonder?