Wotcha gang!

The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
So, how's everyone doing? I see Kevin has taken over the forum. ;)

After a bit of a hiatus I'm back in love with my guitar and looking to pick up a cheapo electric. Fancy some kind of Strat having never owned one.

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    Have a look in the likes of Cash Generator/Cash Converter or on Gumtree. Plenty out there at silly low prices.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,868Member
    Wotcha 23rd! Happy hunting for your bargain Strat - remember it's a buyer's market these days, so take your time finding the right one.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Good plan, John, cheers. I've always just hunted on eBay or Gumtree, but Cash Convertors is a good idea.

How you doing, Megi?
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,889Member
    Talk of the Devil...

Hiya 23rd.

Good to see you back !

I was just saying how sick I am of seeing my own name !!!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,889Member
    I love my Vintage V6 Icon. If you don't like poorly done relic guitars then the straight V6. Mine was £160 new.
    I'm good, cheers 23rd - still much the same, except a little bit older, not much wiser... :D People do say nice things about the Harley Benton range that Thomann do, including the strats. I still think the name is more suitable for a range of ready-made tinned meat pies, but apart from that, maybe worth considering. :)
    I love Squier Strats, but the new ones are becoming more and more expensive. A 90's Squier (pre Affinity), would be worth a look.
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. It's good to see the old gang is keeping this place going. I see lots of new members floating around too. Excellent.

Yes, those are all on my list to check out. It's so hard to buy a bad guitar these days that I don't feel the need to agonise too much. I'd really love a Classic Vibe, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much right now.

Megi, the HBs do look decent, but you're right! It's a pie company name!

John, the Squires were my first thought too.

Kev, I've heard good things about Vintage and every acoustic I've tried has punched well above it's weight.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,637Member
    Ah, Mr 23rd! Good to see you around. Good to hear you've got the guitar GAS again, too.
    Thanks Derek. I'm not sure it's good that I have GAS - that usually ends with more guitars than I can play! I'm happy to be playing more again, though. :)
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 500Member
    Welcome back 23rd and good luck with your future purchase.
    Cheers Tel.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 830Member
    Nice to see you back 23rd, while hunting a stratish guitar don't ignore the ibanez range, they are cheap but excellent value used. I would think £100+ would get you a professional playing guitar with all things stratty. It certainly won't hold you back from a playing point of view.
    Thanks ES. Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I'll certainly look at Ibanez too.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,238Member
    Good to hear about your rekindled interest in guitar 23rd. :smile:

I'd add a plus comment in favour of Vintage as a brand for good value for money at the budget end of the market. I'd certainly recommend V100 and V100 Lemon Drop from personal experience.

The Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap Signature is an acoustic I wouldn't be without too.
    Mark P said:

I'd add a plus comment in favour of Vintage as a brand for good value for money at the budget end of the market. I'd certainly recommend V100 and V100 Lemon Drop from personal experience.

The Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap Signature is an acoustic I wouldn't be without too.

Thanks Mark. I've owned several LP style guitars in the past. This time I have a real need for a strat. :)

I guess the build your own route is still out of the question 23rd? I've built two in the past (as you may already have heard) and modesty aside, they are both cracking good instruments. I ended up putting Lace Sensors in my swamp ash one to make it more suitable for my needs tone-wise - I do find that strat pickups are very distinctive in tone quality, and (dare I say it) not the most flexible in terms of covering a lot of styles/sounds. But if you want that classic strat tone, then I guess it's the only way. I did leave my walnut strat with it's classic-type strat pickups, and although it doesn't get gigged, it's just such a nice guitar to play that I'd struggle to let it go. I do practice with it a lot anyhow. I think one of the things I particularly like about it is the all maple neck, which I believe does give a nice clean attack, and a bit of a brighter response - I know there is an ongoing debate about such things. I'm just waffling on here really... :D
    Megi said:

I guess the build your own route is still out of the question 23rd? I've built two in the past (as you may already have heard) and modesty aside, they are both cracking good instruments. I ended up putting Lace Sensors in my swamp ash one to make it more suitable for my needs tone-wise - I do find that strat pickups are very distinctive in tone quality, and (dare I say it) not the most flexible in terms of covering a lot of styles/sounds. But if you want that classic strat tone, then I guess it's the only way. I did leave my walnut strat with it's classic-type strat pickups, and although it doesn't get gigged, it's just such a nice guitar to play that I'd struggle to let it go. I do practice with it a lot anyhow. I think one of the things I particularly like about it is the all maple neck, which I believe does give a nice clean attack, and a bit of a brighter response - I know there is an ongoing debate about such things. I'm just waffling on here really... :D

Indeed I do remember your builds - if you recall I lusted after that maple strat of yours. ;) No, that's not a route I plan on taking anytime soon - I'm just not into my guitars enough to warrant the expense, time and effort.

Mark P said:

Thanks Mark. I've owned several LP style guitars in the past. This time I have a real need for a strat. :)

Ah - I should have spotted you said 'some kind of strat' in your first post! :blush:
    I've never tried a Vintage brand strat style guitar.

I haven't had a purchased Strat style guitar for a long time. I had a few goes at building one and got one that was OK eventually, so no 'real' Strat was needed.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't played it for several months!

I wished in retrospect that I'd gone for a Strat wiring system that included tone control for the bridge pickup - without it that pickup on it's own in an S-S-S setup I find is almost unusable even with a good quality Alnico 2.
    I have recently ended up taking back a Yamaha Pacifica (H-S-S pickup setup) that my eldest son had possession of but he has given up on guitar and left it behind when he moved out. Looks strat like, sounds not at all bad, but doesn't really sound like a Strat.

There's plenty of choice out there of Strat style guitars for you to try out - the shops round here seem to be awash with them. Hopefully you can find a winner. :smile:
    Mark P said:

Mark P said:

Ah - I should have spotted you said 'some kind of strat' in your first post! :blush:
    I've never tried a Vintage brand strat style guitar.

I haven't had a purchased Strat style guitar for a long time. I had a few goes at building one and got one that was OK eventually, so no 'real' Strat was needed.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't played it for several months!

I wished in retrospect that I'd gone for a Strat wiring system that included tone control for the bridge pickup - without it that pickup on it's own in an S-S-S setup I find is almost unusable even with a good quality Alnico 2.
    I have recently ended up taking back a Yamaha Pacifica (H-S-S pickup setup) that my eldest son had possession of but he has given up on guitar and left it behind when he moved out. Looks strat like, sounds not at all bad, but doesn't really sound like a Strat.

There's plenty of choice out there of Strat style guitars for you to try out - the shops round here seem to be awash with them. Hopefully you can find a winner. :smile:
    That's a beautiful bit of wood!

I'm leaning towards a classic vibe because they punch so far above their weight. The Tele I had was a great guitar for the less than £200 I paid for it.
    Just throwing this in as food for thought - a personal point of view, but I'm not a fan of the vintage Fender 7.25 inch radius fretboards - despite some people saying otherwise, I find that there is a bit of a compromise with how low you can set the action before you get the notes chocking on string bends - I've done set up work on a few such guitars now. And to me the tight radius doesn't seem to make chord playing any more comfortable either. I much prefer the 9.5 inch radius that more modern spec Fenders/Squiers have, and I'd probably like a 12 inch radius board even more.

Another vintage feature I've come not to like is the use of the traditional bent steel string saddles - this seems to result in the grub screws sticking out at least a little, and it's uncomfortable under the heel of the hand. For that and other reasons, I think a bridge with the modern type of solid string saddle, where the top of the grub screw can be recessed, is better.

And I tend to agree with Mark about the lack of a tone control for the bridge pickup - both my strats now have a circuit that has master volume, master tone, and a useful blend control that gives access to new pickup combinations on the third pot.

As I say though, all a personal point of view however... Nice to see that lovely strat again Mark - a very friendly looking guitar somehow. :)
    Megi said:

... Nice to see that lovely strat again Mark - a very friendly looking guitar somehow. :)

Wish it weighed less than 9 lbs though!
    But if it did it probably wouldn't sound as good. :smile:

Thanks 23rd - a beautiful piece of wood from the days when AxesRUs were allowed to sell Strat shaped bodies without 'issues' with Fender. Helped by many coats of True Oil.
    I think my walnut strat is a good 9 lbs or more too Mark. I've just learnt to ignore the weight really - it's such a nice resonant guitar to play, so I just don't think about the weight. I suppose Les Paul players have to content with similar, or even heavier weight guitars as a matter of course, so I reckon 9 lb isn't all that bad.
    I have to second Megi's comments on the saddles. I prefer the solid, modern ones. My American Standard Strat has the bent steel variety, and I had to replace the grub screws with shorter ones. I too prefer a larger radius neck.
    My Standard Strat has the new Fender set up, whereby the tone 2 control does middle and bridge pickups, with an "off indent" to take it out of the bridge pickup circuit, if wished. Personally, I usually leave it out of circuit.
    None of this stuff matters to me. I have such limited experience (and skill) with electric guitars that I'm blissfully ignorant. Besides, if I don't like a guitar I just sell it on and go back on the hunt. No harm, no foul.

None of this stuff matters to me. I have such limited experience (and skill) with electric guitars that I'm blissfully ignorant. Besides, if I don't like a guitar I just sell it on and go back on the hunt. No harm, no foul.

:open_mouth: Sacrilege! you can't say that 23rd! This is a guitar forum, and we need threads where we can blah on about important things like bridge saddle grub screws and neck radiuses (radii?). Play the game man, play the game... :D
    Ha! This is not the thread you're looking for, my friend. :D
    Shame, I was about to start discussing the merits of different pickup wire insulation types...
    I can see you getting excited about that from here.

I can see you getting excited about that from here.

lol :D