Kevin Peat

Believe it or not I am fed up with seeing my own name.

Is anyone else going to make an effort ?

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,779Member
    I mean... we have plenty of new members, yet they must think this is a blog run by Kevin Peat when it is nothing of the sort.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,635Member
    It's not quite happening, is it? I find that the format is rather confusing. I need to spend a bit of time and find "the page" that I can link to that will show the new posts in the discussion areas of interest.
    Just keep innitiating posts, Derek. Show the way. I've done it several times already.
    If there were a thumbs up/down rating I'd adjust my contributions to taste, alas we've never had that.

I know we've lost a couple of much valued contributors from the past site - I'd hasten that I didn't want them to go and would be very glad to see them back.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,513Member, Moderator
    edited September 2016
    The forum is exceedingly quiet. I check every day but I often don't have anything worth writing.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    I check everyday, too. Like Lester, I have nothing to add. The fact I am working again, limits my time for many things.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 805Member
    I'd like to state that nothing exciting has happened in my life this weekend unless having grandkids overnight Saturday qualifies.

Band have been having a summer break but Basserer has returned from Corsica and he was the last to holiday this summer. we shall have a casual get together at the drummists Thursday for a chinese and some playing, it's so Rock n' Roll I tell ya.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,513Member, Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Here is how September is getting filled up.

Early Friday evening I had band rehearsal for church on Sunday, where I play drums.

Later on Friday evening I had a rehearsal with my Burny Jazz archtop guitar for a wedding next Saturday.

On Saturday evening a friend popped round for help with the lyrics to a song he has written.

Sunday was playing drums in church.

This morning, Monday, I did a rough mix of a collaboration song, having been sent the vocal track yesterday, all ready for the chap who will add lead guitar.

This evening I was at choir rehearsal - my wife is the choir director - with my Faith 12-string, cajon and percussion.

Too many rehearsals and too few gigs, so nothing really to report.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,774Member
    I have to take my share of the blame - I just got out of the habit of posting, and seem to have been a bit busy of late also. Nothing to do with the new forum format, just me. I have missed the place, and indeed the people though. Promise I'll post more in the future.
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 498Member
    Nice to see you back Megi.
    That was PLENTY to report, Tel. Thanks.
    I've lost my voice Kevin so I'm a man of few words.
    Tel - I can see you've lost your voice. Your writing is very croaky and I was getting quite concerned about it. Get well soon.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,774Member
    Just Tel said:

Nice to see you back Megi.

Cheers Tel, it's nice to be back, and I'll try not to be such a stranger in future. If you really have lost your voice, then may I echo Kevin's sentiment and hope you're feeling better soon mate. :)
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Get well soon, Tel!
    Thanks everyone but I have to admit that I haven't really lost the voice. Which is just as well cos i'm singing tomorrow night. What I have lost is my broadband following yesterdays thunderstorm. There was a tremendous bang which has fried the router. So now waiting for a replacement to arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I am having to tether my mobile to the laptop and hope that the data allowance doesn't run out.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Well, I'm glad that your voice is okay, Tel. Damn shame about the broadband, though. I work from home so when mine goes down I'm forced to sit around and play guitar instead.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 805Member
    I hope Kevin doesn't mind us posting on his forum ;-)

I've had a quite month while the band do the holiday thing but I'm getting itchy for tomorrow nights session (without the lady singists) to groove with the guys.

I have also been passed a well made japanese acoustic guitar of some vintage which is rather good but suffering a 'belly up' that ought to be addressed before it becomes unplayable. Thats my research job this week and then I have to decide if I want the hassel of fixing it for my mate or handing it to a professional. in terms of value it's not worth the fix, however it's the guys first guitar from the 70s and he'd like to keep and play it.

Worth doing then.

I wasn't going to respond, just to keep my name out of the latest comments column - sick of seeing it, you see.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,214Member
    Sorry Kevin - I'm supposed to be 9th top poster or something according to the sidebar and I've been very much absent. Partly I think it's losing the habit as Megi said, and it makes sense that it should have been a problem for so many of us.

But too little spare time recently. Too much work - knackered in the evenings. A long drawn out saga that eventually led to my eldest son being able to move out into a flat - a bit of an emotional roller coaster in getting it to happen. Also starting to look at things practical and financial about what could well be our own last house move that will set us up for at least a pittance in retirement. All sorts of real life things getting in the way of forum posting and too little of note to report on things to do with guitar.

I seem to sleep for most of the weekends including the afternoons these days. Think my brain / body is hinting that, regardless of finances, I should retire soon.

I've not bought any guitars recently and sold two which is not very report worthy. I've not written any tunes or songs. I've not tried any new tunings. All a bit dull and not of any much interest. I've been trying out some orchestral software BUT that's not very guitar based!

I've had computer problems with an ailing then dying hard drive recently too - not great fun, and it curtailed computer use and my on line presence - I have no smart/i Phone to use instead. I think the PC is back to working properly again - at least I didn't lose too much as I did to my surprise have some fairly recent backups to fall back on. The pC is only just over 3 years old, so not too impressive a life span for the hard drive

All I can say is I'll try and get on here more often, even if it's a bit of unimportant drivel!
    A lovely catch-up, Mark.

I've just moved the first twin into his digs at Leeds university yesterday. Wifey is very tearful at the moment - even I'm finding the empty table seat hard to bear. The second twin is off to Southampton next week which is going to be utterly appalling.

Life will be very different. I won't miss the mess and the pile of shoes by the door meaning I have to fight my way into the house - but I'd rather have that than them gone.

I sleep a lot too - on account of the fact that I'm a lazy ****.

Dad's on his last legs (two months max) and all of a sudden life seems too short, so yes. Stuff the budget. Retirement is the five year plan now.

And did I say ? I'm sick of seeing my name on the list... D'oh !
    There were two stories on the BBC site recently regarding retirement / not retirement. I'm not sure they were on consecutive days, but they were close. The first story suggested we should never retire, that retiring is bad for body, mind and purse, and that keeping working will help the government coffers no end, too. The evidence used was a very fit and active 95 year old fellow who is still working. Story # 2 was all about how psychologists have ascertained that working full time after 40 starts to see an increase in stress and a lessening of ability to concentrate and basically a downhill trend in feeling good. The suggestion was to go part time after 40 - although that story did also suggest keeping doing something did help with body and mind.

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    I have been retired for three years and now I have a part time job. Retired is best. Since retiring I have never felt better, been healthier or happier. I am as busy as I have ever been, but at what I want to do. Not what my employer told me to do. I don't have as much money but I don't need as much. My part time job is to help fund next summer's renewal of vows celebration, Me working part time means my wife can ease off a bit with her job. I enjoy my part time job. I am meeting new people, I am driving on someone else's fuel (I love driving) and I am bringing in a bit extra money. But it is not as good as being retired!
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Kevin - it's a difficult time to get through when it gets close to the end. In a way I lost mine quite some time before he passed away ... dementia meant he wasn't really there as such.

Life is very different when the nest is empty. Some pluses and some minuses, but we keep telling ourselves it's good for them to fly on their own.

I think you have a point there Derek that recommendations for us all to keep working could well be influenced by the economic benefits to the whole machine that is designed to keep a load of drones in their place and helping the GDP (or whatever). I very much see evidence in myself of that lessening of ability to concentrate and a downhill trend in the feel good factor. Afternoons at work are the worst part - occasionally a walk round the car park in the fresh air is needed to stave off the desire to sleep!

I am encouraged by Jockos personal experience and I've every intention of being busy when retirement time comes, but busy with things that interest me.
    edited September 2016
    Jocko - That's my aim. A bit of part time doing what I WANT to do rather than what I have to.

Derek - The soul needs a bit of structure and purpose around it to feel fulfilled.

Mark - Thank you. It's been a year since we found out. As it's prostate cancer I'm having a PSA test next week (hereditory) It really isn't a nice way to go. He has intense pain which is like toothache, but in every bone in his body - he throws up half of what he eats so the weight loss has been dramatic. He is in a pitiful state now. He said when it goes to his skull he is going to dose out on morphine permanently as he won't be able to bear it.

He's gone from fit and active 75-year-old to 99 in the space of ten months.

Plus the boys leaving home this week. There are going to be huge voids that will need to be filled somehow. Not even a fifteen month old Cockapoo can do that, I'm afraid !
    My father in law had that Kevin and you're right - it really is an horrendous experience. I wish you well for your test.
    That sounds awful, Kevin (and Mark). We're still all pretty helpless in the face of some illnesses and the big C seems to be getting more prevalent. To go downhill so quickly, yet in a way so slowly, must be awful for all concerned. My thoughts go out to you.

I know what you mean about concentration, Mark. I get that too. I'm starting to ponder on a halfway house too - not retiring but finding something that is either part-time or a lot less stressful. Might be a few years away, but at least it's a dim light at the end of a dark tunnel.

I recall an old country song about a truck-driver:

Peterbilt a truck for a man to drive
    It's a pretty good living but it ain't no life
    Thanks Derek and Mark. Life's too short.
  • BonydalBonydal Posts: 63Member
    I'm still here.. Still practicing but not as much as I would like due to renovating our new home...hope all you guys are well !!!