I'm such a newbie that I only just ordered my first guitar tonight.

Hello all,

I am Carol from near Glasgow. I am a complete beginner in my mid-50s; left-handed, with wrist and thumb joint issues. I joined the forum tonight after spending an hour or so online with Richard on his website and discussing the best guitar for me to get. (Impressed that it's a Sunday night and he took to time to answer all my questions even so.) My new baby will be here in a week and half or so. I can't wait! :)

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,621Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Hello and welcome. Richard is excellent at looking after his customers and taking great care of our guitars. I am certain you will will have a lovely time with your new guitar when it arrives.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,013Member, Moderator
    Welcome Carol. Guitar is a great hobby and a great way to keep yourself, an hopefully some time in the future, other, entertained. There are quite a few Scots here (I'm from Kirkcaldy), so hopefully you will soon feel at home. Keep us informed as to how you progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member
    Welcome, Carol. Enjoy!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,099Member
    Hello, Carol.

We're all a bit quieter than usual, having just got used to our new home.
  • Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 589Member, Administrator
    Hi Carol. It was a pleasure chatting to you and I hope you get many years of pleasure from it when you finally get it in your hands. I will post pics as promised and you can always make everyone here very jealous if you want to share them! lol
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 510Member
    Hello Carol and welcome.
  • SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 34Member
    Welcome Carol. Great to have a new lefty onboard! If you have any lefty issues l'd be happy help.
  • CarolDCarolD Posts: 6Member
    Thank you all! This is a whole new world for me; one I've wanted to enter for decades, but never thought I had the coordination. This will be interesting!
    CarolD said:

Thank you all! This is a whole new world for me; one I've wanted to enter for decades, but never thought I had the coordination. This will be interesting!

Oh dear Carol. Are you going to break the news or shall I? Ha ha
    I can hear the entire concert stadium audience chanting, "Ca-rol! Ca-rol! Ca-rol!"

Oh dear Carol. Are you going to break the news or shall I? Ha ha

Um... you do it, please, Richard! :cold_sweat:

Ok, so here's the thing. After I ordered my guitar last week, I started going through videos and books to try to get a head start. We've got a small acoustic guitar that belonged to my sister-in-law. It's right-handed, but I figured I'd just turn it around and try some fret placement with some beginner videos; not try to play any chords or anything like that, just start getting the fingers on my right hand used to new movements and positions. Long story short, it felt like my right hand was this alien thing that my brain couldn't communicate with.

Then I made things even worse by deciding, "hey, let's learn the notes on the fretboard!" I figured that maybe what little I can remember of the piano & music theory lessons I took 40+ years ago would make it easier for me. THAT was a mistake. My old brain just could not handle the idea of pitch increasing from right to left; I guess I absorbed more of the piano keyboard mentally than I realised. I quickly got to the point that my brain just froze.

So I talked to Richard again a couple of days ago. I'm going with a right-handed guitar instead of a left-handed one due to the problems mentioned above (as well as the fact that my husband could also use my guitar if I got a right-handed one.) Physically, I imagine my playing will never be quite as good on a right-handed guitar as it could have been on a left-handed one, but at least I'll be playing something instead of dealing with complete and utter brain freeze.

I want to make it very, very clear that the mix-up and confusion in ordering a left-handed guitar was all down to me. I'd done some reading and talking to a few people, and decided that as I am left-handed, I should play left-handed. So when I first talked to Richard, I said I wanted a left-hand guitar, and that's what we discussed. I was so sure and confident that I needed a left-hand guitar that the idea of right-handed guitars never came up. I was more concerned about the size of the guitar due to my wrists and arthritis than anything else. So that's what Richard went with. It was my mix-up, not his.

Anyway, Richard is working miracles to get me a right-handed guitar instead of the left-handed one I thought I needed. I can't praise his helpfulness enough in sorting out what was essentially a "stupid customer trick." :star: :star: :star:

Mandy, I don't know you so I have no idea whether you are familiar with Mark Knopfler, now a solo artist but 40 years ago he started up and led a band called Dire Straits. Mark is highly regarded as a guitar player and, like you, he is a left-handed person that plays right-handed. You are in good company. I hope it works out well for you.
    Thanks, Lester! Mark Knopfler is one of my favourite artists. Great inspiration!
    I actually felt terrible but hey, you cannot pre vet every left handed player who asks to buy a guitar! We are on the right track now anyway! I never knew that about Mark Knophler!! Know wonder I am not as good as him!!! Dire Straits were a massive inspiration for me in my teens. The Alchemy Live Album... wow...

A really lovely video ...