Vox DA-5 - replacing the speaker

LesterLester Posts: 1,542Member, Moderator
edited September 2016 in Guitar Amps, Effects & Accessories
The good news is I have bought a 15w 8ohm 8" Celestion speaker to replace the original 10w 8ohm 6.5" Vox speaker in my miniature DA5 combo. The bad news is that I cannot get the two cables to release from the speaker lugs. The lugs wobble so they are not soldered but no amount of pulling, wiggling or teasing with a screwdriver has proved successful so before I break something it seems sensible to ask the experts how to do it. If you know, please tell me. Thank you.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,542Member, Moderator
    edited February 2017

You know what? I have discovered they are called spade connectors and with that information I have found photos online that show that the dot in the spade is a depression on the top and a blob on the underside which causes it to lock in place. Poking with a thin blade in the right place raised the blob to be high enough to escape from its lock. Phew!

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

It isn't actually a lock. They are just designed to pull on and off but can stick after years in one place. What I do is hold the blade (part attached to the speaker) with a pair of pointed pliers and wiggle the spade until it starts to come free. The danger of just pulling is that you snap the paxolin insulator. Glad you got them off.

edited September 2016

Thanks for the explanation, Jocko.

Just to show the finished job: an 8" speaker in a cab that had a 6.5".

a1592voxb1591voxc1596vox

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 834Member

Lester just remember to ensure those spade connectors are still tight when fitted to the new speaker. You don't want intermittent signal there some day down the line. It's probably no the huge problem in a diddy amp that it would be in say a 100w monster, but still worth paying attention to. You can squeeze them up with a pair of pliers if needs be. Otherwise a good tidy job, how has it changed the sound for you?

ESBlonde posted:

... how has it changed the sound for you?

With the 6.5" speaker it was a lovely little practice amp that got used live occasionally, eg. in a small venue or when I needed a really quiet volume.

With the 8" speaker it so far sounds fuller, more balanced, as in it is not so thin in the bass. I can get a louder clean sound, eg. with my archtop, and I am planning on using it (without any external effects) at a new gig starting in the new year where I will be providing conversation-friendly level dinner jazz in a pizza restaurant that seats 60-70.

I can still get the speaker to fart with the gain (input volume) full on and the master (output volume) at less than half. I have read of DA5 owners plugging the amp section into a 4x12 and being impressed with its sound. I am now close enough that I can hear that it needs a bigger cabinet if I want it to sound even better but it's appeal for me when I bought it was how small it was with at least a usable sound for quiet practice.

The amp's tone control has a far wider sound than the tone control on my guitars. I can still make it shrill, muffled or anything in between. For what it is it is a great little combo.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Sounds great.  It's encouraging that you get a sound you like from the 8" speaker - I've got a 8" Jensen to put into the tube Champalike I'm building.  Another project that's fallen by the wayside that will be picked up soon...

Cheers, Reg.

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

Lester, did you open up the through hole in the front of the cabinet?

Jocko, no, I have left the hole untouched as it means that should I change my mind I can always pop the old speaker back in. 8" isn't so much larger than 6.5" that I feel I have to enlarge the hole. I may, in the future.

Reg, One thing I didn't mention was that I understand alnico speakers (or rather, speakers with alnico magnets) have a brighter sound and so I chose to not get an alnico one. I think the Jensens use alnico. Also, yours being a valve amp and mine being solid state will limit the usefulness of comparisions. - my two other amps are valve. Let us know how you get on when you have done yours.

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 764Member

What a brilliant mod! Heading straight to the garage to see if I could fit a 12" speaker in my DSL5!

I just today read of someone who put a 12" speaker in his Vox AC4TV in place of the 10" one it came with.

And the hole in the baffle won't really make any audible difference.  It's the frequency response of the larger speaker that will make all the difference, within reason.  I'll report back!

edited February 2017

Help! Something has gone wrong.

Yesterday's project involved removing the little amp from the combo. The plan is to insert a jack socket and plug in the speaker cable so that I can use the amp with other, external speakers.

I cut two pairs of wires: the black and red cables from the battery compartment and the black and white cables to the speaker. I taped the short stumps of the battery cable so that they cannot accidentally touch each other and soldered a jack socket to the end of the speaker cables. So far, so good but then I discovered a problem: no sound.

I put a jack plug plug on the original speaker so that I could test it. Plugging my iPod into the aux in meant that I could have constant sound without having to plug in and play a guitar, although I tried that too. Using headphones I can confirm that sound comes out of the line/phone out. Plugging in to the line/phone out cuts the speaker off, that is the way the amp is built. I have tried this with 3 different speakers which I know work. Nothing. With the amp on I checked with my multimeter what I got across the speaker terminals: 0 amps, 0 volts, 7.6 ohms. We are moving outside my eletronic knowledge but I don't think there is any signal in the speaker cable. As I have done nothing more than cut the speaker cables (when the amp was off) and soldered onto them a jack socket I do not know what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Some jack sockets have a number of tags because the are "switched" so that when you insert a plug it switches off some other output, just like the line/phone out on the amp. You haven't soldered onto the switched tags rather than the signal tags have you?
    edited February 2017
    Dave , you are a screaming genius! The jack socket has 4 tabs and, as you say, I have a switched socket and I chose what was the +ve tab when there was no plug in the socket!

Dave, do you use PayPal? I have your email address and would love to send you a gift to buy yourself a drink as I am not in the UK and so cannot buy you one in person. You have just ended over 24 hours of huffing and puffing over how I could have broken the poor little amp. I am most grateful to you.
    Hey, I'm just chuffed to have helped out. I do use paypal, but there's really no need to transfer any money. It's lovely that you would like to buy me a drink and just the sentiment is enough for me. I will take it as read that you've drunk to my health!

I wouldn't say I'm a genius, more like an idiot who's done that sort of thing that himself too many times. Even a wombat will stop doing something if it hurts him enough times, ha ha!
    Is the speaker output working OK now?
    It works just fine, as it should and as it did before I started fiddling.
    Brilliant. I'm still meaning to look into replacing the 10" speaker in my Marshall DSL5 with a 12" speaker after reading this thread - one day!