Did a fun gig last night

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member
edited August 2016 in Personal Diaries
Did a fun gig last night, playing back-up lead guitar to a friend's acoustic playing at an acoustic night. Went very well - and, unusually for me, I was more than happy with y own playing. Been putting in a few hours on the TC Ditto looper pedal in readiness for the gig and it paid off.What was also nice, when I arrived a couple of people came up to me saying they were really looking forward to my set. My name was on the posters and they mistakenly thought that I was doing a solo set. Nice to know that folks feel that way about my growling fumbling efforts. And then, spookily, today I was offered that solo set at a month of my choosing in 2016 Also, a random fellow from Las Vegas reviewed one of my songs on a very strange original-song-reviewing channel on YouTube and had some nice things to say about it.All in all a very confidence boosting 24 hours. But the greatest thing was I thoroughly enjoyed playing again and am now determined to find a way to do more of it despite the current commuting issues.    

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

All in all a great 24 hours. Well done. I heard yesterday that my young grandson, who is currently heavily into producing digital music, has SOLD three of his pieces.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

That's all good stuff from both of you.   You must be proud of him Jocko, and take pleasure that you've been a musical influence.

Derek, it's great that you're getting some recognition.  Time to send a tape off to Hughie Green?  And I mean that most sincerely.

Apart from the concerts I'm organising, nothing much happening on the music creative side for me at the moment.   But I'm nearing the end of the immediate set of post retirement jobs that Mrs Sox presented me with the evening I came home from my last day at work.  So hopefully I can soon knuckle down and get some recording done.

On the positive side, after 9 months of chest infections that started last October that resulted in losing my voice several times through continual coughing, my voice is finally getting back to strength.  I was worried that I might have done some permanent damage.  That episode pretty much resulted in a lost year of developing my singing.  Even though I joined the choir at work I could hardly contribute most of the time.

Cheers, Reg.

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,805Member

Reg, 

Whenever I wrote music I always found that I'd unconciously plagiarised other people's work. 

Had I tried to publish it I'm convinced that Shaw Taylor would have been interested. 

Keep 'em peeled. 

(Are we showing our age, or what ?)

At least you picked Shaw Taylor. Not George Dickson.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Kev,

It's more my own arrangements of traditional or other people's stuff.   My song-writing creativity level isn't that hot and stuff I've attempted in the past ended up either pretty banal or twee.  I just don't seem to be able to create the edginess in the words that attracts me to the music I like.

My normal prose writing style tends to be overly wordy (people might have noticed) and that carries over into my song-writing.  I can't create the pithiness required of a great set of lyrics that gets over strong images.

Now, if my poetic hero, William Topaz McGonagall, was the accepted norm in song-writing I would have made millions.  But he ain't and I didn't.

Cheers, Reg.

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member

Great to hear about these recent successes and endorsements Derek - although I'm not at all surprised, you're a talented chap and nice bloke to boot, which comes over in your playing. Thoroughly deserved.

Nice to hear about your grandson doing well also Jocko, more power to him. image

Megi posted:

Nice to hear about your grandson doing well also Jocko, more power to him.

That is him 18 today. Have to take him out for a pint one night.

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
    Jocko posted:
    Megi posted:

Nice to hear about your grandson doing well also Jocko, more power to him.

That is him 18 today. Have to take him out for a pint one night.

That is a bit of a milestone, you really must share a pint before long. Many happy returns to him anyhow. image

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member

Kev,

My stuff is far from original. I' really do only have three or four standard melodies and chord sequences, all of which have been used many times. But then a lot of the music I like uses those same elements so I figure... roll with it :-)

Cheers

Derek