I need something to run the vocal mic

NikkibNikkib Posts: 32Member
Please do bear with me, I am but a beginner! i have been learning for a while now and have got quite a nice little Vox amplifier that I use for practise.  However, I am going to be playing at a party for the first time in a few months and I don't know what I need to amplify my Les Paul and also run a vocal microphone.  My Vox only has input for the guitar so I need something to run the vocal mic. i have been looking at a Yamaha EMX212s pa and then some speakers as this would give me a set up to last me years but would it work for me easily or would it be way above my capabilities? If it's not going to work then how do I run a vocal mic please?? So sorry for seeming so stupid but I am just learning. many thanks for your help ??

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,985Member, Moderator

Looks like a great piece of kit for not a lot of money. However, speakers won't be cheap and transporting the set up will require consideration.

Here's wishing you well with your gig.

• NikkibNikkib Posts: 32Member

Thank you Jocko! I was looking at buying some second hand speakers for now to keep costs down.  With regards to transport I have got horses and therefore have got a whacking great Volvo V70 estate to carry all their stuff about in so no worries with space there. 

Do you feel though that it would be the right kit for the job? I won't be doing loads of gigs yet or anything but it did seem a good price for something that would last me years. 

Very many any thanks for your reply, I really appreciate the help!

• Just TelJust Tel Posts: 505Member

You don't say what the output of the Vox amp is but if it output is sufficient for the room size of the party, you could buy an inexpensive small mixer to run both guitar and mike into then output the mixer into the single input jack of the amp.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,666Member

A few years back I was to play a set at a cricket club - it was two guitars and two vocals, just bashing out a few songs for a friend's 40th. I'd never met the other musician (he was another friend of the birthday fellow) and it was all low-key and relaxed and simply to add a bit of fun at the end of a birthday cricket game. A few emails revealed that neither musician had a PA and the fee (£0) didn't warrant further investment.

I just took a tiny mixer that I already had, and we ran two mics and two guitars through a 30w guitar amp. And you know what? It was fine. It went down really well, everyone loved it, it was a laugh and as often happens we got asked how often we played, and did we have a card, etc etc

Not using a proper PA is clearly not advisable but if the gig in question is just a low key bit of fun at the party then, as Terry says, this is an option. "When I were a lad.." all my early gigs were cobbled together affairs in back-rooms / garages / gardens and we put vocals (and bass) through whatever amp (or stereo system!) we could lay our hands on. The big expense came when we all realised we'd be doing this forever...

The mixer in question that I used at the cricket club was the simplest cheapest one that you can imagine - and they go on eBay for under a tenner.

Cheers

Derek

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

I think there's some great advice there from Terry and Derek.  When I was in a small band years ago with a bass and keyboard player, myself and the bass player used our respective amps for the guitars, and as most keyboard amps have multiple input channels (keyboard players seem to like to play 3 or 4 keyboards at the same time despite only having two hands like the rest of us) we used one of the spare keyboard amp channels for my vocals.  Similar sort of approach, but not matching your situation.

One consideration is what size of room are you playing in?  Is it a house party or a hall?  I note the spec of that Yamaha amp is 220 watts per output channel.  If the gig is in a house that might be a tad too powerful such that you have to keep it turned right down thereby perhaps losing some of the tone performance (good tone relies on getting the speakers to move some air).

I've no doubt the Yamaha amp will be well built and have good audio qualities, but choice of speakers will impact the sound.  Cheap speakers might compromise the audio quality output from the amp.

Another consideration is if you are looking at gigging more in the future might you want to look at an amp that will also power a monitor (or two or more if you might get together with other musicians in the future)?

One final thought.  The more complex a mixer with lots of nice bells and whistles the longer it will take to learn to get a great sound out of it, and to set it up quickly for any particular room.  Therefore maybe the suggestion of a small mixer sat in front of your existing Vox amp is the way to go and will serve as a good learning experience to decide what you might want from a bigger mixer/amp in the future.

Cheers, Reg.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Edit to my previous response.  Looking at the detailed specs, it seems that Yamaha series can power monitors as well, so ignore that comment.

One small gotcha to look out for though.  It only provides 15v phantom power.  I suspect you'll be using something like the ubiquitous Shure SM57 for vocals, which will be no problem as it has no need of phantom power anyway.  But you'll be unable to use any mic that requires 48v phantom power.  This will probably not be a problem for gigging, but it's useful to be aware.

Cheers, Reg.

• NikkibNikkib Posts: 32Member

Just a quick update, thank you for all the help and advice.  I have decided to go down the small mixer route for now.  i am sure it will do me fine for the performance and for quite a while after.

thank you so much kind people of the forum, your help was great!

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member

I think the small mixer approach is best.  I'd couple that with some active speakers and you'll be home and dry.  Maplins do a couple of nice little mixers which go by the brand name Alto.  We use them for providing simple PAs for hire in my business and they work very well.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/alto...07AKAoJZkaAoFS8P8HAQ 

This one has four mono input channels, two stereo input channels, an aux input for audio in (an MP3 player or something like that), plus aux send and return (which can be used to run monitors) and built in digital FX (so a nice bit of gentle reverb can be added).

And it's only £99 from loads of suppliers (Gear4Music and GAK to mention but two (other suppiers are available!)