Gershwin's 'Summertime'

Skyline_UKSkyline_UK Posts: 110Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
---

Comments

• Skyline_UKSkyline_UK Posts: 110Member

(I can never figure out how to add comments to the clip.)

This is me singing and noodling to a bossa nova version of Gershwin's 'Summertime'.  I programmed the drum part using XLN Addictive Drums, and IK's SampleTank3 for the (upright) bass and synth parts. I played two rhythm guitar parts and panned them hard left and right, with the lead guitar centre, all done on my Epiphone (Regent Guitars) Flying V. Guitar parts were recorded through a BOSS DR880. All recorded, mixed and mastered in Sonar, Ozone6 used for the mastering.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,188Member

A superb job and guitar playing Skyline - the lead guitar tone reminds me of something, but I can't place it. Would be interested to know what FX/pickups/settings you used to get that sound though. image

Thanks Megi, much appreciated.

My old BOSS DR880, although primarily a drum machine, has a really excellent guitar processor built in and I always start there when recording a guitar track. (I don't use it for drum sounds ever since the advent of software like AD Drums and Toontrack.) If I can't find the sound patch I need there I will resort to GuitarRig or Scuffham's S-Gear plugins. On this occasion it was just a stock 'clean' patch in the DR880 and almost all done using the neck pickup on my Epi Flying V. I'm mostly a neck pickup guy - I like a bit of body! 

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,188Member
    Originally Posted by Skyline_UK:

Thanks Megi, much appreciated.

My old BOSS DR880, although primarily a drum machine, has a really excellent guitar processor built in and I always start there when recording a guitar track. (I don't use it for drum sounds ever since the advent of software like AD Drums and Toontrack.) If I can't find the sound patch I need there I will resort to GuitarRig or Scuffham's S-Gear plugins. On this occasion it was just a stock 'clean' patch in the DR880 and almost all done using the neck pickup on my Epi Flying V. I'm mostly a neck pickup guy - I like a bit of body! 

I like a bit of body too! image - I would have guessed neck pickup, and I thought maybe a bit of compression on there also? No matter anyway, you got a great sound there, and a lot of it is down to the player really. image

• Very "cool"....  awesome stuff

Cheers Richard.