Restaurant jazz

MegiMegi Posts: 7,163Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
---

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,163Member

A track recorded at a local hotel restaurant a couple of weekends ago - some restaurant jazz if you will. Me on guitar, and friends on keyboards, bass and drums. I make no great claims for the guitar playing, but this is my red Shine SIL-510 which I recently fitted with a set of zebra humbuckers from Chris Hernandez at Wound 4 Sound, and I think the tone is superb. I was after something with warmth and nuance, but also some shimmer and chime at the high end, able to bring out some subtlety (what subtlety there is in my playing anyway). A bit warts and all regarding the playing, although we had not rehearsed, and just went straight in to the gig and had a play. Hope you like it.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member

Lovely sound indeed. And great playing. I always enjoyed Autumn Leaves but it takes me weeks of solid practice and concentration just to get through it. Here you make it sound so easy (it's not) and the solo is beautiful and very well played. Great stuff and very listenable.

Originally Posted by Derek_R:

Lovely sound indeed. And great playing. I always enjoyed Autumn Leaves but it takes me weeks of solid practice and concentration just to get through it. Here you make it sound so easy (it's not) and the solo is beautiful and very well played. Great stuff and very listenable.

Thank you so much for your kind words Derek, very much appreciated coming from a performing musician of your level. I do love Autumn Leaves - it's a bit of a jazz chestnut I suppose, some would say a bit over used and cliched - but I always want to play it, such a nice tune and harmonies. image

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member

Miles's version (although I think it's on a Cannonball Adderley album) is a favourite of mine. It may have been a cliché a while back but I think it's due a comeback!

Originally Posted by Derek_R:

Miles's version (although I think it's on a Cannonball Adderley album) is a favourite of mine. It may have been a cliché a while back but I think it's due a comeback!

I will have to dig that one out and have a listen Derek - cheers for the tip. I suppose if Autumn Leaves was good enough for Miles and Cannonball, then I shouldn't worry about the cliche thing. image

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

This tracks sounds great to me too - though I'll have to admit to not knowing one end of a jazz progression from another!

It sounds easy and I'm convinced that it isn't. The melodic lines flow and subtleties of timing brings it all to life. It's all so fine with the Shine!

Originally Posted by Mark P:

This tracks sounds great to me too - though I'll have to admit to not knowing one end of a jazz progression from another!

It sounds easy and I'm convinced that it isn't. The melodic lines flow and subtleties of timing brings it all to life. It's all so fine with the Shine!

All so fine with the Shine - I like that! I'm not always sure I know one end of the progression from the other either tbh Mark. It does help to just practice over the chords a lot and get the sound of them in your head, rather than thinking in technical theory-type terms all the time - or at least I find that approach helps me. But in truth, I usually feel relieved if I just manage to get through the whole thing without hitting any obvious clangers or bum notes... image