Restaurant/hotel gig

MegiMegi Posts: 7,163Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
---

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,163Member

And just one more from the restaurant/hotel gig - I was asked to play this by a friend who came to listen. It wasn't one I would otherwise have chosen to do if I'm honest, but I was surprised by how well it turned out. Shine SIL-510 fitted with Chris Hernandez/Wound 4 Sound pickups again - it's not a jazz archtop type guitar, but to my ears, there is still some kind of acoustic quality that comes through in the tone. I do really like how it's sounding now anyhow - it feels like my sound.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Hi Megi,

Listened to those tracks.  I agree, that's a great tone for that style of music/playing.  Can't argue with it considering the original price of the Shine, whatever the pups cost.

Cheers, Reg.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Very tasteful playing indeed Graham - flows beautifully.

There is acoustic in the tone - and it's great result in sound from such a low price guitar and from such good value pickups.

The winner is that you feel that it has your sound. Something we battle and strive for for years with guitars.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

Hi Megi,

Listened to those tracks.  I agree, that's a great tone for that style of music/playing.  Can't argue with it considering the original price of the Shine, whatever the pups cost.

Cheers, Reg.

Thanks for listening Reg, I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Horses for courses I know, but I do think that's as good a tone as I've got for jazz playing - until this point, I would have generally preferred my other trans-black Shine, which is the same model, but fitted with a GFS Surf 90 pickup. That guitar is still excellent-sounding, but sometimes picks up hum with the single coil pickup, so very nice to have the red one sounding so good with humbuckers. If I'm honest, I prefer both of the Shines to my archtop, cheap purchase price notwithstanding, for playing jazz, which seems daft, but there it is. image

Originally Posted by Mark P:

Very tasteful playing indeed Graham - flows beautifully.

There is acoustic in the tone - and it's great result in sound from such a low price guitar and from such good value pickups.

The winner is that you feel that it has your sound. Something we battle and strive for for years with guitars.

Thank you Mark, and thank you for having a listen. It is a winner I agree - they were about the cheapest guitars I've bought, but the Shines have turned out to be about the most useful guitars I have, for my style of playing. I guess I have worked on the whole guitar tone thing though - finding out about different pickup specs, experimenting with string types/gauges, amp setting etc. - so I like to think that has been worthwhile.

In case anyone's interested, the red Shine is strung with round wound 12-52 gauge strings (inexpensive Darco brand), and I was playing through a Polytone Mini Brute combo amp with a single 12" speaker.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member

I love this style of playing. I have a mass of albums of jazz guitar and can only dream of doing what you do. Beautiful and tasteful and very well played! A joy to listen to. Love the chordal work here, too.

Originally Posted by Derek_R:

I love this style of playing. I have a mass of albums of jazz guitar and can only dream of doing what you do. Beautiful and tasteful and very well played! A joy to listen to. Love the chordal work here, too.

Again, you are too kind Derek, but thank you ever so much! Was chancing my arm a bit with the chordal stuff, but just about got though it without hitting any clangers! Just realised this one finishes about 50% faster than it starts - I shall have to have a word with the drummer... image