Uffe SteenUffe Steen Posts: 29Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
Its been a while so..
https://youtu.be/4WZV183d5cw

Comments

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Quality

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,070Member, Moderator

Brilliant. As usual. You are a very gifted musician, Uffe.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member

Great stuff! Really enjoyed that even if it did fry my brain a little!

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

That's just superb

• John RobsonJohn Robson Posts: 42Member

Amazing!!!!

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,169Member
    Originally Posted by John Robson:

Amazing!!!!

Seconded. 

Very good.

• merlinmerlin Posts: 92Member

Lovely, skilled and soulful playing Uffe. I had a friend when I was teenage who was a self taught guitarist. He just picked one up one day, upside-down and left-handed because there was no-one to tell him any different, and started to work out how the thing worked.  

It meant that he had a different series of patterns, logic and over-all style to anyone else I knew. 

• Uffe SteenUffe Steen Posts: 29Member

Thank you all so much.
    I appreciate you took your time on me.
    "Merlin: Thanks for the nice little story that reminds a bit of my story. 
    If I may explain how I look at it;
    I think there might be some sound differences, and some other different technical benefits  visa/versa, but I have listened and learned from all known guitarists, so I feel, that its my knowledge and my imagination that drives my hands and not the opposite.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Managed to miss seeing this thread. High quality playing indeed. Very fluid and played with great feel - I like the mix of what looks like effortless movement coupled with such a high level of precision in the note playing. Sheer class!!

Originally Posted by Uffe Steen:

Thank you all so much.
    I appreciate you took your time on me.
    "Merlin: Thanks for the nice little story that reminds a bit of my story. 
    If I may explain how I look at it;
    I think there might be some sound differences, and some other different technical benefits  visa/versa, but I have listened and learned from all known guitarists, so I feel, that its my knowledge and my imagination that drives my hands and not the opposite.

It's clear to me that Music making is more to do with what is in the head (and ears) of the person making the Music. As an example, I am a clarinettist by profession and I play on an earlier system of instrument that most people I know. Why? For several reasons. Firstly, the tone of the instrument works better for me in terms of the tradition I am playing. Secondly, the ornaments and "quarter" toning work better, and thirdly, all the great players I admire and who have influenced me played on similar instruments to the ones I play. 

Ultimately though, I chose this system (Albert or Simple System) because it enabled me to get the "sound in my head" much better than modern instruments. I remember a great saxophone mouthpuece maker telling me that there was little pont in spending your whole life searching for the "right" mouthpiece because you'd end up sound pretty much the same on it anyway. He said, get one that feels right and over time you'll adapt your sound to it. And end up sounding like YOU anyway. 

This is slightly different with guitars as they have a "neutral" sound, however as we all know, tone comes from the fingers as well as the instrument. Sorry for the ramble, but I guess what I am saying is that as with my clarinet, that has many, many subtle differences that mean I need a different technique to play, stringing the guitar the way you do Uffe, must make certain things "sound" different, let alone technically how easier or more difficult they are. And they must also effect "feel" which is what my sax mouthpiece friend was saying. 

Most audiences won't hear the difference. And I think that getting the tactile elements in place is really important to allow the sound that we have in our heads to flourish. So we are comfortable, so we can really make the Music we need to make. And the audience will understand on a subtle level (sometimes not so subtle) when a Musician is comfortable and able to express themselves fluidly. As you do, Uffe! 

• Uffe SteenUffe Steen Posts: 29Member

Hi Merlin
    You said it all :-)
     Thanks for such thorough explanation of your inside experience on this topic.
    Funny thing is, that I actually went through 4 years at the Royal Academy of Music in Denmark on clarinet in my younger days. I played much of the important stuff from Mozart, Weber, Schumann to Stravinsky , but went back to the rhythmical genres, and especially my interest for improvisation on electrical guitar. I guess I what I learned about phrasing, ensemble playing and awareness of sound has an impact on my guitar playing. 

Originally Posted by Uffe Steen:

Hi Merlin
    You said it all :-)
     Thanks for such thorough explanation of your inside experience on this topic.
    Funny thing is, that I actually went through 4 years at the Royal Academy of Music in Denmark on clarinet in my younger days. I played much of the important stuff from Mozart, Weber, Schumann to Stravinsky , but went back to the rhythmical genres, and especially my interest for improvisation on electrical guitar. I guess I what I learned about phrasing, ensemble playing and awareness of sound has an impact on my guitar playing. 

I think that everything we have ever heard impacts on how we play. I spent a long time working out and incorporating all the traditional elements of the Music I play, the ornaments, the phrasing and the relationship to pulse. And then the repertoire, however nothing I can ever do or play can make me "unhear" Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Art Tatum, Bill Evans. And what I feel is really important is to understand how what we play sits alongside all the Music that has gone before us. Context is everything when playing traditional Music and because the context has changed so much over the past few generations, we can never actually play the same Music... but we can enjoy the journey.