Just sent my latest video submission off to Bryan Sutton

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
Just sent my latest video submission off to Bryan Sutton for perusal. I've been a bit lax on the old flat-picking front as I have a couple of gigs coming up with the band, with the duo, and a 40 minute solo set to conjure up, so I've had to revisit many others styles of picking over the last few weeks. Amazing how quick one's chops deteriorate in any genre when the focus goes. My flatpicking submission is (still) all about my right hand. I'm hopefully rid of bad habits by now and starting to zone in on some more accurate movements with a lot less tension. It certainly feels that way when I flatpick now. But it'll be interesting to see what the guv'nor says. Now where' my thumb-pick? EDIT: added in a low res version of the submission for added interest  

Comments

• geoguitargeoguitar Posts: 252Member

nicely done Derek, musical.
    Irish flat picking - you can learn stuff from 'elsewhere' check out Irish tenor banjo picking techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDTqPu9gUU

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,060Member, Moderator

Excellent. Be interested to hear your tutors feedback.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,163Member

Terrific stuff Derek - I can see how acoustic flatpicking is an absorbing area to get into.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Excellent Derek.

I used to be able to to a little bit of that on the cittern but never really pursued it because I mainly used the instrument for song accompaniment, and in any session I played in the cittern was never loud enough to take the lead (drowned out by massed melodeons, whistles and violins) and always ended up just comping chords.  Curiously I've never felt tempted to play that style on guitar.

But keep going - we'll wean you of off country yet

Cheers, Reg.