My method of stringing a guitar

ReaGeorgeReaGeorge Posts: 119Member
edited August 2016 in Technical or Theoretical Advice
Hey guys So my Ovation was way overdue a string change (as you'll see by how dirty the fretboard was) and I finally got to it this week, so I decided to share my method of stringing a guitar, mostly because I've never actually seen anyone do it the same way as I have pretty much always done. I was taught this method by my first teacher and always thought it was pretty nice, neat and a strong secure hold. I'm interested if any of you guys use this same method, and otherwise which method you do use.  

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member

I'm the same. I've been stringing like that since I got my first Gibson (2002ish) and it had a little diagram in the case showing the method. Very rarely see anyone else do it the same way though.

• ReaGeorgeReaGeorge Posts: 119Member
    Originally Posted by stickyfiddle:

I'm the same. I've been stringing like that since I got my first Gibson (2002ish) and it had a little diagram in the case showing the method. Very rarely see anyone else do it the same way though.

Thats cool, I don't think there was a stringing guide with my Gibson... although I may have just missed it since I wouldn't exactly have been looking for that image

After posting this video someone shared a video with me of how Martin string their guitars, and its also almost identical, interested that these big companies use and endorse this method yet you don't see too many people using it...

----------------------------------------

• SmartySmarty Posts: 403Member
    That's how I string too. The only difference to you is that I use a plastic craft knife to clean between frets!
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

That's how I do it too. image

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,952Member, Moderator

That is how I string my guitars. It is not how I always did it but I have certainly followed that method since the internet came along. In fact, I thought that was the most common method, as advocated by Fender and many others. My Larrivée is restrung differently with some of the windings above and some below the string. I will have to do some investigation when I come to replace them, see if there is a reason they do that.

• Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member

That's a useful video - I've always been awful at stringing "posts with a hole tuners".  I generally cut to length and then wind and hope - a bad habit that came about from mostly having guitars with split posts.

Will use that method of securing next time I do and LP - which will be later this week.

• SmartySmarty Posts: 403Member
    Ha - Ninja you're not alone in hoping for the best. I've been playing for about 27 years and I've  never paid as.much attention to restringing as I probably should. But saying that, my strings don't snap and my guitara stay in tune!

Am I alone in wincing and closing my eyes when I tune up a new top E? I'm  such a wuss!
  • Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

I personally only like my strings in contact with the post, with no part of the the string going over another part of the string as in this method.   I thread the string through the hole and bend it up and then just wind on while holding the string under a bit of tension.  I have about two and a half winds for 6 and 5, three winds for 4 and 3, and four winds for the plain strings.  I then trim the strings to length.  I've never suffered from tuning problems or slippage and have never felt the need to have to secure the strings with the over/under method.  I guess it's just habit though and what you grow used to or how you were taught.  Not saying my method is better or worse, but just responding to the request to share if the same method isn't used!

Oh, just one refinement I forgot to mention.  When I thread each string through I align all the tuners with the holes in the posts aligned down the neck, and with the tuners horizontal (i.e. aligned with the plane of the headstock).  I find I end up with them largely in the same place each time when I bring it up to tune and over the years can just instinctively twist them to pretty near the correct position when swapping between tunings.  Probably just being anal though.

Cheers, Reg.

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,952Member, Moderator

Checked out my Larrivée and it appears to have been strung by being pushed through the hole then winding once above the hole then the rest of the winds below the hole. The string is not caught and the number of windings seems to be about the same as Reg's method.

• Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member

What I found with the wind and pray technique is that if you get it right you end up with a winding that goes above and then under string end, forming nice wraps around the post. I generally have no problems on the wound strings, but as the get progressively thinner the winding can kink and look scruffy.  That said I don't suffer breakages or tuning issues.

I remember years ago I had an Epi SG and on one occasion completely messed up the stringing.  On the low E I had so many wraps that the guitar would go out of tune when fretting - I also managed to wind the treble stings the wrong way!