My latest video, Hotel California solo

ReaGeorgeReaGeorge Posts: 119Member
edited August 2016 in Community Member Performances
Hey Guys I was just looking around, not sure if I should post this here or maybe in the personal diary section or, I dunno....  Anyways I just wanted to share my latest YouTube video, a cover of the solo from Hotel California. Please enjoy  RÉa  

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,060Member, Moderator

Brilliant Réa. Now how about doing us the tutorial and Tab!

• ReaGeorgeReaGeorge Posts: 119Member
    Originally Posted by Jocko:

Brilliant Réa. Now how about doing us the tutorial and Tab!

Haha, is that a serious question? 

I could if you like, might take me some time but yeah....

------------------------------------------

It is a very serious question. That is my favourite guitar solo and I would love to be able to play it. As they say "I'd give my left arm to be able to play it".

Originally Posted by Jocko:

It is a very serious question. That is my favourite guitar solo and I would love to be able to play it. As they say "I'd give my left arm to be able to play it".

Alright Jocko I'll see what I can do, I'll try upload something within the month image

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,146Member

Fabulous !

That should get a huge amount of hits. 

• MichaelMichael Posts: 22Member
    Originally Posted by ReaGeorge:

Hey Guys

I was just looking around, not sure if I should post this here or maybe in the personal diary section or, I dunno.... 

Anyways I just wanted to share my latest YouTube video, a cover of the solo from Hotel California.

Please enjoy 

Réa

This is amazing, my fav lead break, wonderful  10 out of 10.

Réa. Look forward to it. Watching you play it, and I have done so many times, it looks like your arrangement would translate fairly easily for us less gifted players. Thanks in anticipation.

Deceptively difficult, I'm 'fraid, Jocko. 

Timing, expression - intonation (slides and bending)...  all very hard things to do which are so often substituted with fast widdling in the guise of real musicianship. Especially where the piece is really well known and the player teeters on a tightrope of heroism over an abyss of embarassment if he gets it wrong. 

Slow playing (an identifiable tune or lead break) is far more challenging in my view. mess it up and you have an absolute howler on your hands with plenty of time for the audience to savour. (I've been there. The only way out is to make a joke of it despite being heartbroken after decades of practice.)

Cavatina is similar for this very reason. As with Rea this chap gets it bang on the money

Originally Posted by Kevin Peat:

Deceptively difficult, I'm 'fraid, Jocko. 

Timing, expression - intonation (slides and bending)...  all very hard things to do 

Yes, I appreciate that. Réa's arrangement sits nice on the neck and looks more manageable than some I have seen.

OK - Here's my attempt at something to help you learn this Solo.

I basically looked at how I learnt it myself and thought, what would have been helpful to me in a video to pick it up a little quicker.

I hope it helps!

I haven't quite got the notation/tabs done yet for download, but that should be up in the next few days, I'll let you know when it is.

Also I'm curious, what do you find helpful when it comes to learning things like this off videos. I always tend to find those really long drawn out videos where they show you each little section slowly and tell you each fret and movement verbally a bit tedious and not particularly helpful. Hence my approach of simply playing the whole thing slowly and letting you do the pausing and rewinding for yourself. But I would be interested for future reference what your opinions are.

Thanks

Réa

---------------------------------------------

Rea, this is fantastic man! I can't agree with u more when u say other lessons, note for note are too long and boring. The video u have put together and your method of teaching is quite simply first class, I used to be a lead guitarist in the old days and YES even I could work this out, thanks to your simple method.

It might be worth mentioning to anyone who's trying to learn to play lead guitar "I only play acoustic now" is to learn arpeggios, arpeggios are the KEY that will open the door. Hotel California is a big arpeggio if you like, I play this song on acoustic and people often say "hey that sounds just like the Eagles"  yes I tell them, the Eagles wrote it lol. 

Rea, you have made a great video of how to play a very tricky lead break "SIMPLE" if however some of you guys struggle with this lead break, you might as Rea suggested at the start of the video LEARN the scales.One last bit of advice,to any guitar player, I can't emphasize the important's of learning ARPEGGIO'S, I say this because it's only lately I've started to learn ARP and I wish I'd done it 30 years ago.  

Y-EA R-EA !

Fantastic video. This should get you kazillions of hits. I can't 'like' I forgot the passwords to my own YouTube site long ago and can't seem to do anything to it now - not even respond to a couple of nasty comments that have appeared.

I didn't even talk on my tution videos - the less said, the less faffing around - the more done the more people seem to like it. 

I had to come back and watch it again. 

Very VERY well done !!!

I think you should be elevated to the #1 member position for this work alone. Proud to have Guitar Tuts linked to my video for couple of years now - mine is total s**t by comparison. 

Go Rea !

Michael I'm glad you agree, I'm curious as to your explanation of why arpeggios are important to learn on top of scales/chords. I thinking that could be a good topic for me to cover in a video, just curious as to your explanation and experience as it seems you feel quite strongly about it, that it helped you allot....

Kevin your flattering me haha - thanks again for the extra promotion - I'm really trying to make something of my channel now that I have the time again.

I'm wondering if Jocko saw this yet - it was him who requested it after all image

------------------------------------

I'm wondering if Jocko saw this yet - it was him who requested it after all  

As I had said elsewhere I had reached the limit of my mobile broadband allowance so had to wait until the new allowance started, but I have now downloaded and watched the video and it is excellent, Just what I wanted. Thanks.

Once you have the tab ready, I will download that, and make a start to learning my favourite ever guitar solo. Thanks once again.

• jollytunesjollytunes Posts: 0Member

I missed the original, as I have had a miserably poor internet connection for months which has made watching YouTube vids intolerable, but what can I say…? Great tutorial, and very professional. I'm not really a "lead" guitarist as such, but I'll definitely be giving this one a try . Gorgeous gold top too :envious face:

Ones that would be popular (I don't play electric btw)

Dave Gilmore The Wall

Stairway to Heaven (I know !)  the solo. 

Perhaps a video on accurate string bending and slides too. I've seen plenty of tuition vids on HC and nearly all of them have bad intonation. Yours is one of the few exceptions.

Tab on laptop so much easier to read than it was on TV, so I have made a start to learning the solo. Great.

Michael I'm glad you agree, I'm curious as to your explanation of why arpeggios are important to learn on top of scales/chords. I thinking that could be a good topic for me to cover in a video, just curious as to your explanation and experience as it seems you feel quite strongly about it, that it helped you allot....

Kevin your flattering me haha - thanks again for the extra promotion - I'm really trying to make something of my channel now that I have the time again.

I'm wondering if Jocko saw this yet - it was him who requested it after all

Rea,  arpeggios are like a map, instead of playing full scales which can sound repetitious and  boring  arpeggios allow you to find chords because they are cords. Hotel California, was played on a acoustic with a capo on the 7th fret EM-B7-D2-A9-C-G-AM7-B7 these cords are arpeggios "or the coloured notes as many like to call them" strumming these chords sound ok but if you pick out the coloured notes it sounds better "listen to the song".    Playing arpeggios in the sweeping fashion like many so called rock guitarists sounds bloody horrible, picking out the coloured notes and playing LESS always sounds better. My favorite lead break is Hotel California followed closely by Comfortably Numb, both these lead breaks are extremely milotic,

Learning arpeggios gives you more coloured  notes to paint your picture, I think of them like an artist who is painting a picture, he/she has all these beautiful colours to pick from. My songs are like pictures the tell a story, when I go to write songs arpeggios LEAD me to the next harmonic chord WITHOUT wondering or guessing where it might be.

Hope this helps! 

Michael.

Glad it's helpful Jocko!!

And thanks for your take on Arpeggios Michael!

I finally managed to finish up the notation/tab and upload it to my site where you can download it:

http://www.learnguitardublin.c...log/hotel-california

Let me know if you find any unacceptable errors image

---------------------------------------------

Thanks Rea. It is very much appreciated.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,658Member, Moderator

Can I ask how you managed to get permission or a licence to publish the copyrighted music? It's something I am having a problem with right now - getting permission, that is, not the consequences of publishing without a licence.

Originally Posted by Lester:

Can I ask how you managed to get permission or a licence to publish the copyrighted music? It's something I am having a problem with right now - getting permission, that is, not the consequences of publishing without a licence.

In this particular case I'm publishing under "Fair Use", which means you can use copyrighted material without a license if it's for the purpose of:

- Commentary

- Criticism

- Reporting

- Research

- Teaching

On top of that I'm not selling it (I'm not directly making money off it), and I have at no point claimed that it is my own song/solo I have given credit to The Eagles.