I'm not totally surprised

The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
Back at work yesterday to find my notice waiting for me. I'm not totally surprised, but it's still a shock and I'd rather have been told before Christmas. I'm trying to keep positive...

Comments

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Sorry to hear that.  I don't know what your line of work is - many opportunities around for you?

Cheers, Reg.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,067Member, Moderator

That's a bummer. Hope you get something suitable, soon.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

Sorry to hear that.  I don't know what your line of work is - many opportunities around for you?

Cheers, Reg.

Thanks Reg. I'm not really sure. I was working in the family business running the admin side of things. I work from home due to dodgy health so the opportunities will be limited, I'd imagine. 

Originally Posted by Jocko:

That's a bummer. Hope you get something suitable, soon.

Thanks John. 

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member

Sorry to hear about this 23rd, hope things do improve for you in the future mate. image

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member

Oh man, that's rubbish! I hope you find something new soon. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks guys. As one door closes...

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

Ouch that sucks. sorry to hear that.

Thanks mate. 

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,698Member

Bloody 'ell. That's not good. Fingers crossed something comes up. Puts my work stresses in a bit of perspective. Stay positive,

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,169Member

Good luck, 23rd.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Horrible thing to happen to you 23rd. I hope things work out for you, and quickly too.

• merlinmerlin Posts: 92Member

Sorry to hear that. Not a good way to begin the year. I hope things pick up for you soon, work and health! 

Thanks guys, it's appreciated. I'm working on my CV as we speak. 

Don't forget to include in that CV...

- Good photographer

- Good guitarist

- All round, GOOD chap !

I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but if you've not produced a CV for a while concentrate on listing achievements and accomplishments that illustrate how well you've done previous jobs.  Avoid the trap of just listing a bunch of what your responsibilities were - bring them to life with how you made a difference.

Spell check, spell check again, and then get someone else to check it!

These days a cookie cutter CV doesn't cut the mustard.  Start with your basic framework, but be prepared to customise it for each job you apply for.  Also remember that many applications are online these days and that a human isn't necessarily making the first cut.  Keywords that match the requirements of the job specification are imperative to get your CV in front of a human.  Make it a logical construction so it's easy for you to cut and paste sections into online application systems.

Cheers, Reg.

I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but if you've not produced a CV for a while concentrate on listing achievements and accomplishments that illustrate how well you've done previous jobs.  Avoid the trap of just listing a bunch of what your responsibilities were - bring them to life with how you made a difference.

Spell check, spell check again, and then get someone else to check it!

These days a cookie cutter CV doesn't cut the mustard.  Start with your basic framework, but be prepared to customise it for each job you apply for.  Also remember that many applications are online these days and that a human isn't necessarily making the first cut.  Keywords that match the requirements of the job specification are imperative to get your CV in front of a human.  Make it a logical construction so it's easy for you to cut and paste sections into online application systems.

Cheers, Reg.

Thanks Reg. My sister is a professional writer/copywriter and lists CV writing as one of her skills. I'll be reet. image

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member

Whoa that's got to be the worst New Years gift I can think of. Sorry to hear that 23rd.

So, is this the opportunity of a lifetime, where you can consider something radical and/or different? Trained in more than one thing? Chance to go it alone?

I'd been made redundant 4 times in my working life and it was only the last time that I thought, "blow this for a game of soldiers" I can't do any worse than go it alone. For me it worked out, so you can never tell. All the very best with it. 

Originally Posted by Graham George:

Whoa that's got to be the worst New Years gift I can think of. Sorry to hear that 23rd.

So, is this the opportunity of a lifetime, where you can consider something radical and/or different? Trained in more than one thing? Chance to go it alone?

I'd been made redundant 4 times in my working life and it was only the last time that I thought, "blow this for a game of soldiers" I can't do any worse than go it alone. For me it worked out, so you can never tell. All the very best with it. 

Not ideal news, no. 

I'm somewhat limited by my health, tbh. Working for my dad from home was perfect for me, but I'm going to have to explore some different and more unconventional avenues this time around. 

Don't be afraid to work the benefits system then 23rd. Maybe a work/benefits combined arrangement. 

Welfare was originally set up for deserving cases such as your own and sounds like it is exactly where taxpayers want their money to go. 

Any event like this for me would mean a real lifestyle change and the sale of our home (we would be so highly geared financially.) In all honesty I'll consider any work beyond my boy's graduation a bonus and will be happy to live on a barge on a river thereafter. 

Their graduation presents will be sets of matching luggage and a passport each. Ma and Pa can live on beans and cheap lager and we'd finally have the time to own a dog ! 

Originally Posted by Kevin Peat:

Don't be afraid to work the benefits system then 23rd. Maybe a work/benefits combined arrangement. 

Welfare was originally set up for deserving cases such as your own and sounds like it is exactly where taxpayers want their money to go. 

Any event like this for me would mean a real lifestyle change and the sale of our home (we would be so highly geared financially.) In all honesty I'll consider any work beyond my boy's graduation a bonus and will be happy to live on a barge on a river thereafter. 

Their graduation presents will be sets of matching luggage and a passport each. Ma and Pa can live on beans and cheap lager and we'd finally have the time to own a dog ! 

Ha! It's the mess this government has made of the benefits system that led to me working for my dad. I was on incapacity benefit for a decade and tried to set-up my own photography business under permitted work. It failed largely because I didn't have the energy to dedicate to the business side of things (promotion etc). With this government I was put on ESA with virtually no chance of finding a job that I could do with my history and condition so dad stepped in and offered me a job. He was looking anyway, so it was perfect. 

No, what is left of the welfare system couldn't give a **** about me and nor I it. 

Sorry to hear that, 23rd. 

I don't know what to suggest then. But things do have a way of working out. I've been in some fixes too in my time. They seemed impossible - including a sacking with twin toddlers at home & bailiffs at the door - but came good somehow. 

Hang in there, buddy. 

Originally Posted by Kevin Peat:

Sorry to hear that, 23rd. 

I don't know what to suggest then. But things do have a way of working out. I've been in some fixes too in my time. They seemed impossible - including a sacking with twin toddlers at home & bailiffs at the door - but came good somehow. 

Hang in there, buddy. 

Yeah, I'm sure it'll sort itself out in the end, mate, and I appreciate your input. I'm currently in the despair stage and feeling a bit lost. 

Been there too. 

Have you watched Castaway with Tom Hanks ?

Keep Breathing

I found this to be really good advice. I discovered Mindfulness recently. Just how powerful the remedy of simply focussing on each moment ( every breath) is. Do not look too far to the future and try your darndest not to dwell in the past. 

Depression is displacement of the mind. You don't want to be there. Your thoughts will be disconnected from your body and it will feel like you are viewing your own life as one would watch a film in a cinema.

Stay connected with yourself. 

Live here Now. There is nowhere more important than Now. Focus on every little task no matter how minor or insignificant it seems. Washing dishes for example. Keep things tidy and don't get drunk ! Purposefulness at all times in every little task. 

One step at a time. 

My resort in such lows is the work of Ekhart Tolle. The Power of Now and subsequent books. I wish I'd discovered them years ago !  

Keep posting here too, Buddy. A fully fledged member of the I-wish-I'd-been-a-rock-star-but-it-didn't-quite-happen brigade. Your status hasn't changed any with us. In fact what you're going through is VERY Rock'n'Roll. 

23rd is walking the walk HE'S A HERO !!!

Nothing turns out like we'd really want it to, eh ???

And... 01626 77 58 79 if you (or anyone else) needs a chat but I may be at work tonight. (Work ?  I'm a bit lost at the moment too. The new boy all over again training for another job and not knowing many people or having a bloody clue what to do.) 

I won't say 'cheer up' but don't let the buggers grind you down !

23rd, good advice from Kevin about staying positive.

Trying to find a new job can be crap, with lots of frustration and knock backs, despite your very best efforts to succeed.

But remember.

Unless you're lucky, working can be crap, with lots of frustration and knock backs, despite your very best efforts to succeed.

So when your notice period ends make sure you replace your working day with another working day.  Except the new one will be dedicated to you finding your new job rather than dedicated to working for someone else.

And talking of luck, which I did briefly, to add to Kevin's reading list I can commend Professor Richard Wiseman's book "The Luck Factor":

http://www.richardwiseman.com/.../The_Luck_Factor.pdf

http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/

Declaration of interest here:  Richard is a close relative.  However I recommend this book on the basis of it's quality, not due to the fact I am related.  In fact a bit of a laugh a couple of years ago.  One of my staff was doing a company sponsored MBA.  When I came to sign off his expenses for book purchases I discovered The Luck Factor was part of the curriculum!

All the best, Reg.

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member

23rd, there's some great advice here, and on the "despair stage and feeling a bit lost", remember that you have the right to get that way - I don't think any of us would feel any different.

I find getting angry - not with anyone else but with what's happened, helps to get it out of my system. For me, followed by . . . 

"Well that's got that out of my system. Now, what am I going to do from here on?" Even if it's just to make a tea/coffee, take each moment as it comes, stay in a space of peace - as it may help any future plans you might have about searching for work, gel into clarity. Just musing here . . . 

You mentioned "explore some different and more unconventional avenues" - now that sounds interesting!  

Good stuff, guys. With regard to Tolle, I don't tell many people this, but I had an experience that mirrors his in many ways. It changed my life, but it wasn't permanent. I am a student of non-duality and ACIM and have been a meditator for 20 years.

I'd love to make more money writing. I currently do a little for my sister -just SEO articles, nothing major - but I love it and, well, I can do it from bed, if needs be. There are options, but right now, as Graham has said, I'm just processing the fear and watching my thought processes. Always watching, always learning.

It's a problem that has a solution - many solutions, no doubt - I've just go to be open to them.

I really do appreciate every one of your comments and suggestions - it's good to know people care.  

Good stuff.  Just remember that unless conclusions and action follow the thought processes all that great thinking will be wasted.  In my younger years I was always making grand plans.  Someone I respected then pointed out to me that that unless I actually did something about it they would only ever remain plans, however well thought out.  That was the kick up the backside I needed to actually do something about it!

Cheers, Reg.

Good stuff.  Just remember that unless conclusions and action follow the thought processes all that great thinking will be wasted.  In my younger years I was always making grand plans.  Someone I respected then pointed out to me that that unless I actually did something about it they would only ever remain plans, however well thought out.  That was the kick up the backside I needed to actually do something about it!

Cheers, Reg.

Reg, you misunderstand me. I won't be sitting down and thinking consciously. One thing I've learnt over the years is that it is far, far better to mediate on a problem and allow the answers to come. I knew I'd have to go through this process - Kevin just clarified and remind me of that. No accident, we're all one. Well, now you all know I'm an old hippy. image

Talking of which I was listening to Blue on the way into work this morning.

Talking of which I was listening to Blue on the way into work this morning.

Straight over my head that one!