2014 Formula 1 World Championship

JockoJocko Posts: 7,046Member, Moderator
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
Congratulations Lewis, on winning the 2014 Formula 1 World Championship.  It wasn't as exciting as it could have been but it was more than exciting enough for me, and I am sure, for Lewis.  Well done.  Now make 2015 number 3.

Comments

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

Yeah, great driving all season in the best car. Today was a bit of an anti-climax, but Massa made up for it with a great drive at the end, but you knew Lewis had plenty in the tank if necessary. 

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,153Member

I have to say I've warmed to LH as the season has progressed, and he has certainly proved what a fantastic driver he is this year. So yes, congratulations indeed. I do hope that wasn't Jenson Button's last race in F1 though...

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,046Member, Moderator

I would be very sad to see Jenson go.  A real ambassador for motor sport and for the UK.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

The problem with JB is that he commands a lot of money rather than bringing money to a team. He could probably get a drive in most teams on talent, but he's not going to get a top car and the smaller teams often look to drivers who bring sponsorship. 

Originally Posted by Jocko:

I would be very sad to see Jenson go.  A real ambassador for motor sport and for the UK.

Me too - I'm a bit miffed with McLaren, the way I see it, JB is still one of the best drivers, and certainly with a few seasons left in him, and has spent several seasons getting the best he could out of the off-the-pace offerings the team keep providing. And now they have the new Honda engine deal, and things may be looking up for next season, how do they reward him? By fannying about over whether to sign him again, and making him play an undignified waiting game...  Poor show.

Originally Posted by The23rdman:

The problem with JB is that he commands a lot of money rather than bringing money to a team. He could probably get a drive in most teams on talent, but he's not going to get a top car and the smaller teams often look to drivers who bring sponsorship. 

Fair point, but at some level, they do also need a fast driver. No one said these things were fair I know though.

I could have had a drive for Caterham this past weekend, if I had had the dosh. Will Stevens did okay for his first F1 race.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Not being rude Jocko (actually I probably am!), but could you have really, even if you had the dosh?

Remember when Mansell tried to make a comeback and he found he could no longer get his arse in the seat? 

I know I'm not as sylphlike as I was in my twenties.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

Not being rude Jocko (actually I probably am!), but could you have really, even if you had the dosh?

Remember when Mansell tried to make a comeback and he found he could no longer get his arse in the seat? 

I know I'm not as sylphlike as I was in my twenties.

No chance.  See my recent reply here.

Mind you, I did get in this one last November.

Taken at Knockhill, John on Start Finish straight 9-11-13

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member

I was lucky enough to be there this year. Much better than last year's race. We were at turn 11 (the left-right-left-left complex after the second DRS). Thankfully this is where most of the action happened image

Absolutely wonderful to be there for a British win and the crowning of a British champion. I must admit there was a tear in my ear watching Lewis on the podium as the anthem played. 

And the after-race concert was The Who, which was bloody good too!

photo AF29940B-D777-4415-AC95-C0B9ECB83206_zpsrgq4thnm.jpg

photo 6EDB9346-36F3-4818-88C4-36471ED95E24_zpsoorcntzf.jpg

photo 9129F32A-C9FC-429C-812D-C09134841417_zpstss6qzbz.jpg

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

I'd have sat through the race just to have heard The Who!  Were they louder than the cars?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member

Yeah, they were plenty loud, though not as much as in the 70's.Much louder than the cars though - they're a fair bit quieter this year with the hybrid engines. Still make a good noise though image

Roger had in-ears for monitoring, but Pete had 4 floor wedges and 3 Fender Vibro-King stacks behind him. Absolutely great sound throughout. The range of sounds Pete managed from his Strats was fabulous too (modded Clapton Strats with piezos added). Just awesome.

So I guess you had a fairly good day then Sticky? Cheers for the pics btw, even if it has made me jealous. image