Launched from Earth ten years ago

Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
This time tomorrow we should know if this has been a success: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scie...environment-30012854 Launched from Earth ten years ago I love these long term projects in our age of instant gratification.  And we could find out a tiny bit more about how we came to be. Alongside this and the moon landings, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 create real emotion in me. Voyager 1 was launched in 1977, the year after I left school and started work.  37 years later in 2014 thoughts of retirement increasingly occupy my mind.  The Voyager program will predate and postdate my entire working life.  Last year Voyager 1 entered interstellar space meaning a man made artifact has left behind any residual influence from our sun and is now traveling between the stars.  Voyager 2 will enter interstellar space during 2016. Both Voyagers carry a "Golden Record" containing cultural references from Earth.  Included are Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Blind Willie Johnson, along with various pieces of classical and ethnic music.  If the Voyagers are ever intercepted at some point in the far future by another intelligent race, I wonder what they will make of us?  Thankfully in 1977 Simon Cowell was still a couple of decades away from launching his personal brand of blandness upon an unsuspecting public so hopefully it won't be too bad. Cheers, Reg.  

Comments