I recently bought a Vox AC-30

FingersMcGrawFingersMcGraw Posts: 11Member
Hi Guys, I recently bought a Vox AC-30. I was originally intending to get a decent Fender combo for gigging, but then I spotted this one in the corner, and gave it a go. It just seemed to sing in a way that none of the other amps were able to do. Since then, I'm still completely blown away by it. I just seem to hit all those tones and sounds from all the old rock bands that I love. Its pretty bloody loud when I gig with it too! I'd definitely recommend you test driving one if you get the opportunity. Steve 

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,986Member, Moderator

I was gigging back in the 70's and we ditched our AC-30's for some nice new semiconductor amps!  Doh.

• FingersMcGrawFingersMcGraw Posts: 11Member

I feel for you!

I know they can be a handful and people sometimes criticize their reliability, but I fell in love with this one and that never normally happens with me and amps.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,088Member

A funny question perhaps, but would you say the AC30 could make a good jazz amp? image

Originally Posted by Megi:

A funny question perhaps, but would you say the AC30 could make a good jazz amp?

Hi Megi!

Part of me wants to say yes, but the honest answer is that I'm not experienced enough with that jazz guitar sound to really be able to differentiate.

What I can say though is that the clean tone is really nice and you can achieve a lot of tonal variation with the various tone controls and treble boosts.

At the moment I'm kind of into that out of phase Strat twang sound, so that's how I've set it up. The amp is adding a really nice chiming sound, it also feels slightly compressed and I'm getting a little bit of accentuation on the attack from the amp too.

What I haven't done yet is to experiment with the Les Paul on the neck pickup, and see how warm and rich I can make the sound.

Steve

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,088Member
    Originally Posted by FingersMcGraw:
    Originally Posted by Megi:

A funny question perhaps, but would you say the AC30 could make a good jazz amp?

Hi Megi!

Part of me wants to say yes, but the honest answer is that I'm not experienced enough with that jazz guitar sound to really be able to differentiate.

What I can say though is that the clean tone is really nice and you can achieve a lot of tonal variation with the various tone controls and treble boosts.

At the moment I'm kind of into that out of phase Strat twang sound, so that's how I've set it up. The amp is adding a really nice chiming sound, it also feels slightly compressed and I'm getting a little bit of accentuation on the attack from the amp too.

What I haven't done yet is to experiment with the Les Paul on the neck pickup, and see how warm and rich I can make the sound.

Steve

Cheers for that Steve - I suppose questions as to what is a good jazz amp are actually rather tricky to answer anyhow - my idea of "good" may be different to yours, all very subjective. But whenever I look at a bit of kit, I tend to ask myself if it might be good for jazz use, even if more designed with rock/pop/country etc. in mind. Recently I tried out a Fender Deluxe Reverb valve amp, which I thought was terrific for jazz, so just intrigued re the AC30 - a famous model, but not much info available on how it might work in a jazz context - perhaps for good reason, but one never knows. If you do try out with the Les Paul, please let us know how that goes. image

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Hi Steve, you don't mention whether it's a newer AC30 or vintage?

Cheers, Reg.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,666Member

I use a Laney VC30 - which, I believe, is a poor mans' AC30. Same circuitry and valves, I think - do they call it Series A or something?

Anyway, it's just a superb amp. I plug the Tele straight into it, no effects, a touch of reverb, and away I go. Always get a lot of positive comments. It's loud (especially since I had it refurbished and a new set of valves in there) and has a beautiful singing tone. Can go loud and clean or loud and crunchy. It's bloody heavy for a small combo, though - I think the AC30s are even biiger - so I don't envy you carting it about.

But a great choice!

I went through all the normal makes, tried a rack system back in the day, but ended up with this and have never had amp GAS since. I bought an extension cab for those slightly less small gigs, which was a good idea as it spreads the sound nicely.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Reg,

Its a newer model not a vintage. an AC30C2X http://voxamps.com/ac30c2 There's the link if you're interested.

Derek, you're not wrong about the weight! but that's what drummers are for isnt it? . Seriously though, it is a 2 man job to carry it any long distance.

Have a great day guys.

Steve

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 881Member

Lovely Steve, those CC2s have a good reputation.

Get yourself a sturdy lightweight folding sack cart to take the strain.

I got one of these for about £15 years ago from Aldi and they still occasionally have them similarly priced.

Very strong and apart from tightening the odd screw the performance and reliability are worthy.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/...rtNumber/7001538.htm

Good Idea!

I'll look at investing in one.

Steve