Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze strings

JockoJocko Posts: 6,978Member, Moderator
Got an email today advertising these Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze strings.Personally I have never come across these before.  Anyone tried them, and if so what are they like?

Comments

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Nope, new one on me as well.  I'm assuming Medium/13s they are aimed at acoustic?

Just thinking about the properties of aluminium (when will the Americans learn to speak and write English?) I can sort of imagine the brightness claim on the packaging (which I read into "Projections and Clarity), and there are aluminium speaker cones.  Any clues as to the construction on the packaging - I can't imagine aluminium will be the major component - must still be mainly copper.

Cheers, Reg.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

I'd imagine these will be so bright you'll have to wear shades. 

Actually, I wonder what they are like with soundhole pick-ups - presumably they'd still have a steel core and it's just the windings that are Aluminium Bronze so they can still disrupt a magnetic field?

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,978Member, Moderator

Found quite a comprehensive review here.

Found this too.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

(when will the Americans learn to speak and write English?) 

Just spotted the spelling on the packet.  Aloominum must be right after all.

Well, all through the video I was thinking a) surely they could have got a cleaner picker, and b) blimey, it sounds like it's a normal set of strings on an electro acoustic that's plugged in.

Then on the very last playing segment it clearly showed it was plugged in - so obviously a blended mix of acoustic and pick-up.

Why the hell didn't they show it purely acoustic - didn't provide any information at all in terms of highlighting the acoustic properties/differentiation of these strings.

Angry of Tunbridge Wells.