A thread about photography

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,009Member, Moderator

Something similar from my album.

Make hay 25.9.03

I found this night shot, taken years ago and thought I would post it with a bit of a story.

Night stop Burntisland Station

First off, this is a scanned slide (which explains why the image is a bit soft),taken with my old Praktica Super TL.

The exposure was pure luck.  I opened the aperture fully, and using the B setting I opened the shutter the instant the train stopped and closed it again as soon as I heard the guard buzz the driver to start away.  It was nice of the passengers to sit so still for me.

I got second place in the Fife Interclub Competition with that one.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,116Member

That is a great photo Jocko - I really like photographs that capture a scene like that, for me they don't have to have people in them (although the chap in nearest carriage looks like he might be looking at you!). I feel that places, buildings, etc. have a mood and atmosphere of their own, and a good photo can capture that. A form of art I suppose - well, of course it is, when I think about it.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,684Member

Great shot! I'm a sucker for a train photo

I was told a little girl in a red coat, down the platform, would have got me first place.

Took Steven Spielberg and Schindler's List to show me how!

Originally Posted by Jocko:

I was told a little girl in a red coat, down the platform, would have got me first place.

Took Steven Spielberg and Schindler's List to show me how!

Well, I like it how it is anyway, I think the little girl in a red coat might have been a touch corny, even if it would have been to the judges' taste.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

Talking of trains...

DEA_6697

DEA_6684

DEA_6718

DEA_6671

Don't get me started.

Double blast A4 Knightsward Fife

Stanier Black Five at Boat of Garten station

Saddle tank British Aluminium Burntisland

Under Lammerlaws bridge Aug1974

Sir Nigel Gresley Burntisland Early 70's

And finally a recent one, not scanned from a slide.

61994 K4 The Great Marquess Pettycur 5-4-09

I stumbled across this one on the web earlier. No idea who took it, but I really like the angle and the sense of power

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

Great train pics you guys I love me some steam trains, spent a large part of my youth in & around steam trains at the goods yard near my home. highlight of the year was a seaside trip to Blackpool on the steam train for the day, no fancy overseas holidays in those days lol.

Something for old DMU lovers among you.

DMU approaches Boat of Garten 31-10-10

Handing over the token, Boat of Garten 31-10-10

DMU, Boat of Garten 31-10-10

Don't know what DMU is  but i do like those shots J!

Diesel Multiple Unit.

These were taken at Boat Of Garten, near Aviemore, on the Strathspey Railway.

Glenbogle aka Broomhill 31-10-10

Home of Glenbogle. for all the "Monarch of the Glen" watchers.

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,090Member

I used to drive something very similar to that DMU, Jocko.

The Blue Square BR type. Vacuum braked with epicyclic gearbox. A gear 'spoon' and brake handle issued to each driver. There was a gear changer in the cab and you had to reduce revs to change up or down. A real skill driving them as it happens. I loved them. Once used to the brake - applied by destroying vacuum - the unit could be stopped really smoothly.

These DMU's were standard fare in Scotland.  Much nicer than the corridor style they have now.

DMU enters Burntisland station 4-7-07

We still have these ones too. 

DMU enters Kirkcaldy 12-3-08

That's a beautiful part of the world Jocko, we holidayed up near Aviemore & the area up around Loch Morlich is breathtakingly nice. Happy golfing & fishing memories.

One from this evening. Hollywood have come to Gloucester Docks. Five tall ships have sailed in. Johnny Depp arrives Monday apparently.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

I cannot get excited about trains except for the old steam jobbies. 

My photographic interest is recording for posterity, so I record all sorts.  Like you though, when it comes to trains, steam is what grabs my attention.  I am not an anorak, just a windcheater.

Some people may prefer this type of transport.

Albion Lowlander Lathalmond 25.6.06

Guy Arab Mk II in wartime colours 25.6.06

Lathalmond's Edinburgh Shed 25.6.06

I drive class 158s now !!! (and 150/0/1/2s.) Also 143s and recently signed off 142s (greatly underestimated in my view - as are all of them)

I'm going back on to HSTs soon. I love it when I route learn/refresh and the driver fails to spot my 20 year  badge and asks how I'll cope with the speed. I used  to drive Eurostars at 186mph ! I helped commission some of their trains (and Heathrow Express's)

I opted to work in the boonies some 10 years ago. Mixed feelings. I spend my days in beautiful surroundings but lost a lot of money in the move.

PS I'm a great fan of the Routemaster bus. A thing of beauty with fond memories of childhood days with my mates exploring London on the Red Bus Rover scheme. In fact some of the trains I list above have bus engines underslung and fitted sideways.

I come from a family of railway men.  My uncle was a driver, my grandfather a ganger and my dad a shunter.  Both my uncle and grandfather were killed on the railway, back in the 50's and 60's.

Now I am wandering down memory lane, what about these from my collection.

1956 Ford Consul Mk 1 Taken 1967 Colinswell

1956 Ford Prefect Deluxe after brush painting

John's 1970 Triumph 2.5 PI outside Piper Cres

John's 1969 Volvo 144 outside Piper Crescent

Christine's 1952 Wolseley 4-50 Colinswell 

John's 1975 FIAT 126

John in 71 Stingray Santa Rosa Dec 86

The last one wasn't mine.  It was just loaned to me when I was in California back in 86.

Originally Posted by Jocko:

I come from a family of railway men.  My uncle was a driver, my grandfather a ganger and my dad a shunter.  Both my uncle and grandfather were killed on the railway, back in the 50's and 60's.

Sorry to hear that.

Railway safety is a lot better now. Hi Viz contributing tremendously to that. I nearly ran over a track worker a couple of months back. His fault - no lookout and working on a 70mph bend. Scared the bejeesus out of me. He managed to jump out of the way at the last. I'd put the brake into emergency which is quite scary for the passengers.

All lovely photos there, Jocko. Except - having been a motorcyclist - the Volvo.

And now I have another Volvo!

Volvo S20 straight from car wash 25-5-09

And I have NO motorcycle !

So that's OK.

I was a motorcyclist myself so I know what you mean.  At least I don't wear a hat when I'm driving.  Did anyone see the programme the other night about the 100 year old drivers?  I always seem to end up behind them.

To be fair the new Volvos are drivers' cars - not like the old clunkers of the last century. Clarkson reckons the cars to be avoided now are Rovers.

Hey cool pic of the Stingray Jocko. California! Looks like the rain laden skies of Scotland

Santa Rosa in December.  Still warmer than Scotland in July.  Car was a 1971, pre Federal Spec.  4 on the floor and enough power to spin the wheels in third!

Pete Ketcham and John Santa Rosa Dec 86

And one with the lucky (and generous) owner. 

Pete Ketcham with his 71 Corvette Santa Rosa Dec 86