A thread about photography

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,009Member, Moderator

Your nuts turned out great.  I usually try and choose an aperture about midway between fully open and fully closed for best acutance.

I cannot remember now, exactly how I did the old one, but the recent one is just desaturating all the colours, except red.  It helped that the car was silver.

Originally Posted by The23rdman:

A couple from the weekend. 

The first one is a cracking exposure.  Skin tones are brilliant.  I find getting nice skin tones the most difficult part of portrait photography.

Found an interesting article on Diffraction.

http://photography.tutsplus.co...pertures--photo-9267

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Originally Posted by Jocko:
    Originally Posted by The23rdman:

A couple from the weekend. 

The first one is a cracking exposure.  Skin tones are brilliant.  I find getting nice skin tones the most difficult part of portrait photography.

Ta. There is a bit too much red, but I left it in because there is light bouncing around from her glasses. 

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Good article Jocko - I use Airy Disks to calibrate my telescope.

The other part of this is lens configuration.  Derek mentions he's using a 70-300mm zoom.  Unless it's a top of the range professional model it is only ever going to work on laws of averages  - every element each wavelength of light has to go through the more diffraction and diffusion is going to occur - the elements aren't going to be perfectly optically similar.

Zooms are a fantastic utility lens but will never achieve the same results as a prime (single focal length) lens unless massive holes are made in deep pockets.

Cheers, Reg.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

Good article Jocko - I use Airy Disks to calibrate my telescope.

The other part of this is lens configuration.  Derek mentions he's using a 70-300mm zoom.  Unless it's a top of the range professional model it is only ever going to work on laws of averages  - every element each wavelength of light has to go through the more diffraction and diffusion is going to occur - the elements aren't going to be perfectly optically similar.

Zooms are a fantastic utility lens but will never achieve the same results as a prime (single focal length) lens unless massive holes are made in deep pockets.

Cheers, Reg.

Absolutely. 

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,684Member

Derek mentions he's using a 70-300mm zoom.  Unless it's a top of the range professional model...

... It's the Tanglewood of the photography world!

This was last night's effort:

Like that!

Me too.  I'd probably have cropped a bit more of the out of focus foreground out.  Just a bit.

A bit like this, if I can be so bold.

Bug

Looks good, but it's hard to tell when posted so small. image

Asking me to post images in larger resolutions is akin to asking me to post my songs without reverb. Got to have something to hide behind!!

Continuing the theme of using the Tamron zoom lens in macro mode, this is today's image:

Now that is brilliant.

This morning I was along visiting my home town of Burntisland.  I had been asked, by my ex, to take some pictures to send to her cousin.  With my new-found RAW processing I jumped at the chance.

The attached picture of the beach shows what a quiet place it is.  It is the warmest day of the summer so far, a couple of weeks into the school holidays, and you could fire a machine gun on the beach and not hit a soul!  Behind the railway embankment is the Links, an open public area and home at the moment, to the fair.  Monday sees Burntisland Highland Games, held on the Links, so it will be a bit busier then.

Burntisland beach, Fife 17-7-14

Highland Games - cracking opportunity for some photos, Jocko!!

Here we go - a photo I've entitled "Fly Without Reverb"

Stunning image.  As for the Highland Games, avoided them for the 57 years I lived in the town.  I'll continue the tradition!

Originally Posted by Derek_R:

Here we go - a photo I've entitled "Fly Without Reverb"

Great shot.  Superglue on the leaf?

I read somewhere, only last week, that if you want to photograph insects then dusk is the best time as they are lazy and laid-back at that time of day (rather like myself). So I wandered out into my back garden and, sure enough, there was a fly on a leaf and I poked a lens right in his face and he never flinched.

It was raining...

I spend a couple of hours most Saturdays at a little Italian cafe in Northampton. The vibe is very traditional and the regulars are all lovely. I took my D700 and 50mm prime with me yesterday and grabbed these shots. All wide open at f1.8.  

DEA_7067

DEA_7076

DEA_7081

And one of Noah...

DEA_7038

Nice set of portraits there, 23rd. It makes me want to buy a cappuccino!

Two more from me. One is a blatant copy of a photo from a Mike Browne YouTube video. I figured if I learn to play the guitar by copying other people's solos and riffs maybe a bit of the same might work for me here. The other was inspired by some old self-portraits I've seen recently. Again, trying to replicate things other people have done to assist the learning.

olive oil copy

selfie

A couple I took last night.  My photography tends to be for recording purposes and less as an art form.

Fender American Srandard Stratocaster [2010 model) 22-7-14

Translucent Black Shine SIL 510 22-7-14

Here's one taken by my better half when we were down in Devon in May.

Horse copy

I love the way it has been produced.  Could be 100 years old.

Originally Posted by Derek_R:

Nice set of portraits there, 23rd. It makes me want to buy a cappuccino!

Two more from me. One is a blatant copy of a photo from a Mike Browne YouTube video. I figured if I learn to play the guitar by copying other people's solos and riffs maybe a bit of the same might work for me here. The other was inspired by some old self-portraits I've seen recently. Again, trying to replicate things other people have done to assist the learning.

olive oil copy

selfie

Replication is a great way to learn. image

Derek, to Jocko's 100 year old comment, have you thought about rather than B&W, doing it in Sepia?

Great photo as it is though.

Cheers, Reg.

There's me, I read all these books, and learn about F stops and shutter speeds and white balance. I consider composition and the rule of thirds. I think about blurring the background, or not. I look at the work of those that have gone before. I read about lenses and light, and I think about the time of day, and the clouds...

Karen just sticks the camera on Auto and takes a photo like that!

I did try sepia - but plumped for 'coffee' in the end. Though it does look rather more like black coffee than coffee coffee.

Lunchtime today I practiced my 25 minute set for next Thursday's gig at which I'm supporting myself. As I was doing so this gull landed on the roof opposite for a listen (the patio door was open). He didn't fly away, which I take to mean he liked a bit of acoustic blues. In fact the expression on his beak was such that I took it to mean he was saying "Were I'm Simon Cowell i'd sign you up on a mega millions deal. Alas I'm only a gull." Yep, alas he was only a gull. The least i could do, I felt, was immortalise him digitally on this thread forever.