A thread about photography

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

In Lightroom, or in the viewfinder, you still need an eye for the shot.

Here is an image I took a fortnight ago, at the now long gone, Links Market.

The Waltzers, Kirkcaldy 14-4-16

Scream if you want to go faster!

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,816Member

How about a selfie from INSIDE the waltzer, Jocko ?

You wouldn't get me on them with a gun. I remember once taking my grandsons on the "shows", and I was sh****ng myself. Great once, when you are young and with no imagination. Now, as a retired engineer, I look at all the arms and bolts and such, and knowing that they throw it up in 4 hours, and pull it back down in 2, does not fill me with confidence.

Agreed about the bolts factor. And if one of these guys came up and asked you to borrow a fiver you wouldn't do it. 

Funny thing, trust. 

The last ride I went on had a single bolt between me and oblivion. I didn't realise until it had started. I was worried throughout the ride for the same reason as you. 

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

I take the view on those things that the fact they are regularly put up and taken down they end up being checked more regularly than the static funfairs like at Alton Towers.

Judging by the news reports it seems to be the static rides staffed by high turnover minimum wagers that have the accidents, not the travelling rides that have been in families for generations.  Probably wouldn't lend them a fiver though, nor if I had a daughter make an introduction....

A small selection of pics from my walk yesterday.  Unprocessed, straight out my little Panasonic point and shoot camera. 

18.2 miles in glorious sunshine.  Only four days earlier I was walking in the Buxton area and it was bloody freezing - in fact it snowed.  For the first time in eight months I arrived home with my boots dusty rather than covered in mud.

P1010099P1010101P1010123P1010137P1010142

Cheers, Reg.

Beautiful shots. You can feel the heat and hear the bees. A good walk.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 814Member

What did you do wrong to have to walk 18 miles?

Lovely scenery we are so lucky to live in a beautiful country, the warmth this week has caused the hedges and trees to explode into leaf.

Thanks guys.

Just stretching the legs ready for the next walking tour from John Jones and the Reluctant Ramblers.  There will be four consecutive days walking of between 16 and 20 miles a day up in the Welsh borders area.  The musicians then do a full gig every evening as well.

Great way of touring as the band take their audience with them.  It started off quite small several years ago and now there's usually a hard core of about 35 of us that do the whole thing, with up to 60 or 70 walking on any particular day.

Crazy thing is that there's a bunch of people fly over from Germany and Denmark to do it as well.  And two years ago when we walked from the North coast of Devon to the South coast via part of Exmoor and across Dartmoor there was an American family that flew over from Detroit just to do three days of the week long walk.

Lots of laughter, beer, great music, and sore feet!

Cheers, Reg.

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member

Lovely! Tupperware sarnies, too :-)

Welsh border isn't far from me. You'll have to let me know where you'll be. 

Bishops Castle - fine place to do a gig! Had a band once called The Dockery Boys (named after the plantation where many a country blues player picked cotton in the bad old days). At the time we were a sort of a folk / rock / Cajun / blues / rootsy band. We had a red-haired fiddle player called Christy. He wasn't Irish, but he certainly looked more Irish than the rest of us and he could play the fiddle... But on this dark and windy night Christy was lost somewhere in the mountains of North Wales so he wasn't there. The rest of us arrived, and on the door, the sign said "Docherty Boys - Irish Music".

Was a good gig, as it happened :-)

Boomtown Rats covers all night then?

I just adopted an Irish accent instead of an American one image

Couple from my bike ride to the bank this morning:

A fun one from yesterday - this came straight out of the camera:

A few from the birthday trip to Liverpool!

Yes, brings back a few memories there.

Never been to Liverpool.  My favourite non-folk band also hail from there - Deaf School.

New rhythm guitarist!

Is that a new pup on your guitar ?

Looks nice, but I still prefer a Shubb capo Derek.

It's been a while and I've found, like guitar playing, if you leave it for a while you slip backwards. But here are a few from Friday evening. All taken on the Nikon D7100, which does all the hard work for me!

Really love the first one.

Stunning !

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 814Member

I too really like the first one, made me study and contemplate far more than I typically do for a photograph.

edited September 2016
    Just testing... How do you find the end of a thread on this new forum? Interesting... couldn't see any page numbers until I posted this post...then they all appeared
    Taken loads of photos recently. Here's one of them: