A thread about photography

The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
As requested I've started a thread about photography. I'll just post a few of my favourite photos I've taken over the past few years and we'll go from there. Feel free to ask questions or just post your own.    

Comments

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

The compression software on the forum makes some of these look a bit soft, but, hey, I'm not exhibiting!

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member

Some top photos there!! Very impressive

Cheers. image

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member

Not quite in the same class, but here's a couple of mine that didn't turn out too bad:

Cheers

Derek

They're nice, Derek. I like the light on the last one. The second would be great if it wasn't for the blown highlights. 

Okay, so what have I been buying... I'd love to have the cash to splash on the latest gear, but, well, guitars have to be accounted for too so I've bought a Nikon D700, which is still a great camera. I prefer shooting with primes, but have compromised by buying at old Nikon 80-200 f2.8, which is sharper than my old 70-200 at a grand cheaper, a Nikon 50 f1.8 and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm eyeing up a Sigma 85mm f1.4 too for my portrait project. 

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member
    Originally Posted by The23rdman:

Okay, so what have I been buying... I'd love to have the cash to splash on the latest gear, but, well, guitars have to be accounted for too so I've bought a Nikon D700, which is still a great camera. I prefer shooting with primes, but have compromised by buying at old Nikon 80-200 f2.8, which is sharper than my old 70-200 at a grand cheaper, a Nikon 50 f1.8 and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm eyeing up a Sigma 85mm f1.4 too for my portrait project. 

Those shots are VERY good indeed!

Thanks Andy. I can see ways to improve most of them, but we're always learning. image
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

Top notch photographs. Love the portraits and the Monochrome.  I have an old Nikon D80 but the lens is not all that great.

Crail harbour from the road 31-3-07

Loch Chon 13-10-06

Wide eyed Corey 9-3-08

You have a decent eye, John. Shame you couldn't get past the bush on the left with the reflection shot.

OK - change of subject just to add a bit of variety 

Taken from the cold wet patio you see in many of my guitar build shots  

Wow! What's your setup?
  • Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Great shots everyone.

Hey Andy - are you my long lost twin or something?  I'm into Astronomy as well.  I have an eight inch Newtonian that is under used due to the crap weather we had this winter.  Last summer I purchased the gear to nail my Canon D60 to the telescope but haven't got near to using it yet - I might come asking for tips in the Autumn if we get some decent seeing.

Cheers, Reg.

You have a decent eye, John. Shame you couldn't get past the bush on the left with the reflection shot.

I deliberately left the bush in.  I like bushes and trees close to the camera.  Been better if it had been in focus though!

Andy.  Those photos are superb.  Sure you weren't on the Hubble?

I thought I saw somewhere someone was into astronomy, Reg.  Yes - any tips I can give.

The technology for astro-photography has improved exponentially in the last 10-15 years and is well within the reach of backyard amateurs now.  There's a lot of decent software that is also free or near-free.  Some of it is a bit slow getting up to speed with new operating systems (Windows 7, etc) but my laptop still runs on XP so is OK.

I have a 110mm refractor telescope on a powered mount, which I run off the laptop.  Nowadays, I have a second small refractor that 'tracks' a bright star and tells the mount where to move to keep it steady for the long exposure shots.  The camera is an astro-specific camera.  If anyone's interested, I can do a separate thread once the ****** wedding is out of the way next week.

You can also go really simple and cheap - these use a totally different method using a standard mount, a standard webcam and some very clever, but completely free software: 

With your Canon, Reg, you can get some simply stunning shots even just by strapping it directly onto a mount

Originally Posted by Jocko:

I deliberately left the bush in.  I like bushes and trees close to the camera.  Been better if it had been in focus though!

Yeah - I like the bushes.  Can you see in one of the windows the angry bloke pointing and saying - 'who's that peeping round from behind the bushes????'.  Third window from the left, ground floor.  

Originally Posted by Jocko:

In my considered opinion it adds nothing to the shot. image

Hi Andy,  Might be good to start a separate thread to save hijacking 23rd's!

Yep, I've got a webcam as well.  I bought my D60 just over a year ago and really ummed and ahhhed about buying the modified astro version, but in the end decided to go for the standard.  If I really get into the astro-photography I can then justify the additional spend later.

I've also got a colour webcam that I want to play with.

I also have a motorised EQ mount and have thought about getting a dedicated scope for tracking but it's all cost. I also have some thoughts about possible modifying my finder scope to attach the webcam and using that.

I think we set up the whole kit and caboodle about three or four times during the winter and early spring.  Everytime we got set up in came the cloud cover before I could start playing with the photography side of things.  Next season!

There's a "phew" story to my D60 acquisition.  I decided to get one in the January sales (2013).  Went into Jessops and they had a good price but didn't have it in stock.  Paid the full price to reserve (as the sale was about to end) and went to collect it a week later.  Next day I'd decided I'd buy an extra battery, went to Jessops only to find all the bankruptcy notices plaster over the door.

Cheers, Reg.

All photography chat is fine here. image

All photography chat is fine here.

You're most gracious, 23rd, but I agree with Reg - I'll start an astro thread next week so it only bores the pants off those who really want to inflict themselves.  Final shot in the 'photography' thread rather than the 'astro' thread...

Originally Posted by Andyjr:

All photography chat is fine here.

You're most gracious, 23rd, but I agree with Reg - I'll start an astro thread next week so it only bores the pants off those who really want to inflict themselves.  Final shot in the 'photography' thread rather than the 'astro' thread...

Moon shots fascinate me. Look at all those alien bases! Oh, no, hang on...

Can't explain it, but I have the sudden yearning for a chunk of cheese.

This is the result of my last shoot with Riaa who has never modelled before. More here...

This is the result of my last shoot with Riaa who has never modelled before. More here...

That is very good for her first try - a very natural and un-strained look and GREAT photo

Cheers. Yeah, she was a bit nervous and I promised that she wouldn't have to take direction. I lied a bit about that. image

Nice photograph.  Some great ones on Flickr too.

Thanks John. image

• BryBry Posts: 651Member

Nice work everyone. I dont know how I managed to miss this thread last week when I was failing to photograph Mars. I couldn't even get an image on screen with a web cam & telescope so I'll be trying again with a D90 when the sky eventually clears again. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member

Some recent ones from me:

Ajloun Castle

The Monastery, Petra

Wadi Rum

Cabronita-5

Gibson SG Standard