The best way to string a guitar

Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member
Yup, you read the title correctly.(For the thousands of guitarists that don't have locking tuners/locking nuts/and the old "Fender, poke into the centre whole and pull it through the slot", style of capstan.) You'd think that we would all know exactly how to put on a guitar string, as we've got guitars, right? Well, this topic was inspired by my local guitar shop.Watching the owner one day, re-stringing a guitar, I realised he had 'no idea!' I mean, grief, he makes his living from selling guitars! He put on a string and wound it up, using one of those natty little plastic winders. The whole capstan was wound from base to top! I thought to myself, "OMG, how long will it take before the poor recipient of this guitar stops having to tune it up because the strings are stills  t  r  e  t  c  h  i  n  g!" So . . . here is the address, in my humble opinion, to the best way to string a guitar . . . http://youtu.be/1rhdxCECcl4 OK, I know, it's a D'Addario video but it's not about the product, it's about the method!! Yes, and it's a solid body electric, but it applies to all guitars. If you enjoy bending, vibrato and whammying, then this is certainly the best way to string a guitar. I do all three and from the moment there on and stretched a couple of times to pick up the slack, they DON'T MOVE, I mean EVER! The times I hear about, this or that whammy system, and 'goes out of tune easily'. Well yeh of course, if the strings aren't put on properly! Goodness knows how many people have changed strings, whammies, bridges, tailpieces - all claiming "Keeps Your Guitar in Tune Better!"   Tips:1. Before starting, put all of the tuner-capstans with the hole at 90% to the guitar neck, so as when you pass the string through the hole after the nut, it has to turn 90% into the capstan.2. When you pass it through the hole, pull it semi-tight but 'importantly' so as not to crimp the string.3. Then make sure you have about an inch/inch and a half maximum of string above the nut, this is all you will need for a couple or three turns on the capstan. (You won't need any more than this.) Then simply follow the video! Finally, one of the unforeseen benefits of this method, is that when trimming off the excess string ends, they face straight and slightly downwards. This stops ripping up the inside of gig-bags, and/or pulling the fluffy lining from nice quality guitar cases! The other benefit is it's so fast to re-string a guitar, so even if it's a live gig and you need to replace a broken string - it's done, and no further stretching once pulled tight and tuned up! Happy re-stringing! 

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator

The only thing I would add is to make sure the string is wound below the original wind as you tune to pitch.  The video does not make this clear. Any subsequent turns should go DOWN the post.

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member
    Originally Posted by Jocko:

The only thing I would add is to make sure the string is wound below the original wind as you tune to pitch.  The video does not make this clear. Any subsequent turns should go DOWN the post.

Thanks Jocko, you're absolutely right!