What the best tuner is for my money?

manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member
Hi all. Now i have an electric guitar, i was wondering what the best tuner is for my money, i have a budget say > £65, not sure whether i want foot-switch or remote, probably remote, as i can never see myself giging. Ray

Comments

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

If you're not gigging a clip-on tuner should suffice for just a few quid. 

If you're going to play through or record on a pc there are lots of online tuners for free. Do you have an amp yet? They often have tuners built in these days.

• manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member
    Originally Posted by Bry:

If you're not gigging a clip-on tuner should suffice for just a few quid. 

If you're going to play through or record on a pc there are lots of online tuners for free. Do you have an amp yet? They often have tuners built in these days.

Hi.

I have a Blackstar ID 30 amp.

I find i cannot get intonation right with clip on tuners, i have 2 at the moment, and i feel none are reliable, or is it me?

• Green NinjaGreen Ninja Posts: 412Member

I've been through many.  Currently use a TC Electronic Polytune - quick and accurate. 

BOSS TU-2 is also pretty handy as is the Korg Pitchblack.

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,986Member, Moderator

Best tuner I have ever used is the Peterson StroboClip I use at present.  It is what I use for setting intonation.  It is for electric, acoustic, 12 string, bass, banjo, ukulele, sitar and even bagpipes, along with tons of other instruments.  I also have a Boss TU-3 but the StroboClip beats it hands down.

• morgansofasmorgansofas Posts: 25Member

I've tried a few, but none were as easy to use, quick and accurate as my Boss TU-2.  The cheap Behringer and others I've had, were a false economy.  I have a Korg Pitchclip, which is 'OK', but it struggles to identify the deeper E string.  Tried a clip on made by Crafter (RRP about £15) which was better than my Korg, as it had finer increments and seemed more sensitive, but not 'jittery'. 

Another thought; are you considering FX for your electric guitar?  I use a Boss ME 70 for stage and the built in tuner is up to the usual Boss standard.  If you were spending up to £65 on a tuner and intend to buy FX, would it be cheaper to consider a s/h ME 70 or similar as an all in one option?

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member

I've had a Boss TU2 for many years and I'd highly recommend it.  It's very tempting to go cheap on a humble tuner, but I'd say don't be tempted to.  I have a Behringer pedal tuner on my acoustic pedal board and it's really not very good.  It seems to take a long time to give a reading on the low E and A strings.