Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Having a clutch of nice guitars and shiny gear with enticing LEDs flashing on it is all very well an

12346»

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 750Member
    Trouble is, my boys are all really annoyed at me now because of all the stuff I got rid of. My oldest would probably kill for the guitar synth I had ...
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 460Member
    Oo guitar synth. What did you have?
    It was a Roland with the GK pickupvthat you had to mount on the guitar. I bought a Mex Strat specifically for it. It was fun, and I think I'd use it with the band, but after spending all that money I needed some back!
    wow, always wanted one of those. I'm afraid of the rabbit hole it will open up and the countless hours/days/years that I won't see daylight or family. "Oh, I just need to sync the MIDI kettle to switch off when I play an F# and change the patch on my keyboard whenever the clock strikes 3." Or something. It would happen, I know. I wouldn't be happy until every piece of gear was synced perfectly. All those hours when I could be practising!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited April 24

I managed to get into MIDI guitar for only £80 with a You Rock plastic guitar for computer games that just happens to have a MIDI out port.

Every now and then I come across the Roland GK system, Line6 Variax or Freshman TriplePlay but the prices put me off.

The photo shows me ready to play in church on Good Friday, backing a sax player.
    That's an interesting option. Does it actually have strings, or are they touch sensors on the frets?
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited April 25

The You Rock guitar doesn't have strings. The fretboard has raised areas where the strings and frets would be and there are 6 short strings from where the bridge would be to the neck pickup on a real guitar.

You can play it like a normal guitar, ie. place your finger(s) on the fretboard and then strum the string(s), or you can have the TAP switch set so that when your fretting hand touches a string it plays, as in tapping and hammer-ons.

On the minus side, It isn't a real guitar, doesn't feel like one, nor does it respond like one. You cannot palm mute, nor bend strings. Capos, slides and ebows do not work.

On the plus side, MIDI opens up the world of keyboard sounds to a guitarist and as the note sensors are precise it shows up less than clean playing and it has forced me to play more accurately. Also, because it does not have to convert audio into MIDI, there are no latency or conversion errors.

For the price and experience it is great but is hardly comparable with the other systems like Screaming Dave's GK that lets you be a normal guitar player.
    Thanks for the pics and the lengthy description, Lester. That does sound like fun. I'll have to keep an eye out on eBay for one. At the right price it could be an interesting studio tool.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 788Member
    The cost and complexity of Midi plus yet more leads has kept me away from the idea, the new EHX pedals like the MEL9, KEY9, B9 etc. are about £200 a poke and les you play your own guitar while sounding like some classic keyboards. OK you have to modify your technique apparently but I'm very tempted now - even though the band have keys already a new toy is always fun.
    The guitar synth I had was pretty simple once it was installed, and it was fun, but if I'm honest I'd rather let the keyboard player do his thing.

I did like the piano patches, though. The way I play guitar they sounded like a very drunk piano player falling off a cliff with his piano