Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

I decided to make an "EasyJet" guitar

I have always taken a guitar on holiday (classical / folk). It has occasionally led to interesting meetings, sessions - even concerts! However, airlines are becoming more and more difficult about taking a guitar - golf clubs - no problem, but a guitar; no.I have spent loads of time looking for travel guitars, but most of them were terrible! The worst part is that being a classical guitar player, I am used to a reasonably wide neck. I have not found a single travel guitar with a  neck wider than about 43mm, for me unplayable!Last year, my wife and I took a trip to Australia for the first time. Taking a guitar would have been VERY difficult - we had a total of 11 flights. I spent most of the 6 weeks suffering withdrawal symptoms and scrounged guitars whenever possible. In Cairns, I took over a street singers spot for a few minutes whilst he had a drag! For the very last week of our stay, I was able to borrow a small guitar from a friend. It made quite a difference!So, I decided to make an "EasyJet" guitar - ie one which fits into an EasyJet cabin bag. I purchased, from eBay, a really crappy guitar (so that I would not feel too bad if it all went wrong!). It was a parlour sized instrument, made of plywood and didn't sound particularly good. It also had a very narrow neck. I sliced straight through the neck just below the 12th fret, and set about designing a suitable hinge. EBay to the rescue and I found some relatively cheap hinges which just about fitted the bill. I had to cut the hinge down a bit, but at the end of the day, I had a folding guitar. I spent some time with the nut trying to get some more neck width, and also spent some time shaving the neck joint to make the action acceptable.I modified the tuning head to make it a bit smaller - and at the end of the day  - it worked. It was not fun to play because of the neck, but it did fold up and fit into an EasyJet bag, so I was able to take it on a holiday to Egypt without worrying. Whilst there I played a bit, and showed to two of the professional guitarists booked for the evening entertainment. They were very impressed!So, I'm now moving on to the Mark II, but am having real trouble finding a small guitar (perhaps a parlour guitar) with an acceptably wide neck. I have been scouring eBay regularly - all with no success. I am contemplating building one from scratch; at leas that way I could blame nobody but myself it it didn't sound good!So, perhaps someone out there has a parlour or other small guitar, with a neck width of 48mm or more, which they would like to part with, preferably not a particularly valuable guitar as I would hate to be reponsible for wrecking such an instrument.I wait with hope but not much expectation!Happy playingDavePS I can send photos of my prototype if anyone is interested. 

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Originally Posted by DaveSkye:

I can send photos of my prototype if anyone is interested.

Post them here so we can all see.

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member

Yes - definitely photos please 

Andy

• LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016

DaveSkye, I too would love to see some photos.

Here is my bodged classical guitar. I bought it for £25 off a friend who was unable to find a buyer. Another friend who was a woodwork teacher before he retired helped me remove the back, saw the body depth in half, glue in a new edging strip so that the back had something to be glued to and put the back back on.

It has been a great success in being slim similar to an electric guitar and therefore easy to cuddle in an armchair while watching TV or when squashed between me and my desk when at the computer trying to transcribe songs, allowing me still to reach the keyboard.

As I have just bought a thin Godin nylon string electro-acoustic for live work I stupidly sold this guitar to a friend one evening about a fortnight ago, only to buy it back the next day; although it probably has no value it is a one-off and does a job no other guitar of mine does.

• DaveSkyeDaveSkye Posts: 9Member

Hi Andy,

At the moment the computer with all my photos is being repaired, so I don't have access to them. When I get the computer back I'll certainly post them on the site.

So is your guitar a folding one? I can't tell from the pics.

Recently, I bought a junky guitar from eBay, it sounded terrible so I had no qualms about taking it to pieces to gain access to the neck - which is just right for my mkII. I just need to make a body now! I have also found a much better hinge - but am working out how to incorporate it into the design!

Cheers,

Dave

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member

Hi Andy,

At the moment the computer with all my photos is being repaired, so I don't have access to them. When I get the computer back I'll certainly post them on the site.

Recently, I bought a junky guitar from eBay, it sounded terrible so I had no qualms about taking it to pieces to gain access to the neck - which is just right for my mkII. I just need to make a body now! I have also found a much better hinge - but am working out how to incorporate it into the design!

Cheers,

Dave

I think that was Lester, Dave.

i'm sure we are all interested in seeing how you tackled things on your prototype.  Pictures would be great as soon as you have access to them 

Andy

• LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016

No, sorry it's not a folding guitar; all that is different is the body thickness. I included it because seeing how others have adapted guitars is interesting.

We are all looking forward to seeing your DIY folding guitar.