Happy 2014!

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,627Member
edited August 2016 in Personal Diaries
Just dropped a set of Ernie Ball Earthwoods on the Tanglewood. Lovely sound! It might be simply the fact that it's a new set of strings (I used to put new strings on my guitars every few weeks, but these days I might go a whole year on my acoustics - blame the cost of everything other than guitar strings!) but I think they sound way better than the Rotosounds I had  previously (though I must admit I struggle to 'remember' sounds, so the Rotos may have been this good when first installed). Anyway, right now I can highly recommend the Earthwoods. I did try and take a sliver off the bottom of the bridge to lower the action but I think I was too delicate - there's no real difference. Compared to the Martin the Tanglewood is a bitch to play. I tear my fingers up (on both hands) on it. The strings (irrespective of make) always seen to have more tension on the Tanglewood than the Martin (I think the scale length is more or less the same). On the plus side, I find that if I practice songs on the Tanglewood then when I pick up the Martin I'm able to play them much easier. So maybe there's a good training technique there... What else? I'm pretty much playing solo fingerpicking acoustic to the exclusion of all else at the moment. I've weakened a few times but have generally managed to maintain the tunnel vision. The band did its last gig on NYE and since then the electrics have all been put away and this year I'm thinking of trying to do a few more acoustic gigs. This leads me back to the Martin v Tanglewood debate. The Martin has a passive pickup, and I have an external pre-amp ( LR Baggs  Gigpro) but a few sound-engineer types have told me the signal is still quite low. The Tanglewood produces a much higher output which is (apparently) better for the sound engineers - but as already stated it's tougher to play. I'm actually thinking of dropping the tuning down a tone and seeing if that makes a difference. It might be important to be more practical at gigs... I don't know. A couple of these points come together in my wonderings about what guitar to lust after next... Not that such lust is going to lead anywhere right now. But that thing I mentioned about remembering sounds... I loved the Stonebridges I tried out at Richard's place...but I also fancy trying a Gibson J45 but unless I could try the two side by side I'm not sure I could make any kind of judgement on which I prefer. And then I'm also pondering on the Martin's that have electrics built in - the Performing Artist range, for example, or the DX range. They certainly won't have an acoustic sound to rival the Stonebridges I tried but will they be more practical in a gig situation (and maybe easier to play?). Anyway, there it is. Lots of ramblings only slightly disconnected. In other news Merle Travis's Guitar Rag is kicking my butt, right now  Happy 2014!Derek

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,504Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Originally Posted by Derek_R:

I did try and take a sliver off the bottom of the bridge to lower the action but I think I was too delicate - there's no real difference.

What I did recently on a friend's guitar was to set the neck relief (ie. the truss rod) and then lowered the relief an extra 30 thou (because my new Stew-Mac nut-slotting gauge - thanks to Jocko's recommendation - which can be used along the whole of the neck, not just by the nut, measures in thou) so that I could take slivers off the bottom of the bone saddle and as soon as I started to get fret buzz (yes, I had to loosen and tighten the strings every sliver) I knew that I was near my target without having accidentally taken too much off the saddle. I ended up with the lowest buzz free action and I have ever achieved, on a £100 acoustic. Next time you change the strings use the old ones while you work and then put the new ones on.

• gar Tintgar Tint Posts: 62Member

Ever try one of those Godin Multiacs or A series Derek? I imagine they would be a dream to play...

A6 Ultra / Left The A6 Ultra continues with the innovative concepts found in all Godin A-series   guitars, such as combining amazing plugged-in acoustic sound with the feel of an   electric neck, along with a chambered body design that virtually eliminates   feedback in live & loud settings. These features stand true and better than   ever in the A6 Ultra with the added “Oomph!” and full tone of a Godin humbucker   in the neck position, along with an under-saddle transducer, dual outputs   (acoustic and electric) that combine for a huge sound and a Custom Godin   preamp section voiced specifically for the A6 Ultra. This preamp section gives a   player the chance to control their tone via sliders for acoustic volume, treble,   mid, bass and independent controls for the electric humbucker volume, treble and   bass. Whether plugging into the single acoustic mix or via both   outputs, controlling your tone is at the tip of your fingers. And the A6 Ultra   delivers in all styles of music from jazz to rock to country and not to mention   a great blues slide guitar.

SpecsMahogany neck Rosewood          Fingerboard           16"          fingerboard radius           25 1/2          " Scale           1 11/16          " nut width Chamber          Silver Leaf Maple body Solid          Cedar Top Godin GHN1 Humbucker Custom Godin under Saddle  Transducer and custom preamp with          Volume,          Mid, Treble and Bass controls as well as independent volume, treble and bass controls for the Humbucker.           2 output jacks: electric & acoustic mix Colors: Natural      Semi-gloss, CognacBurst High Gloss, Black High Gloss, Red High Gloss and KOA High Gloss      *Natural Semi-gloss LEFT handed model available!

Multiac Spectrum Steel  SA The renowned electro-acoustic Multiac series gets a new steel  string model with the addition of the  Multiac Spectrum SA. It features a  new larger mahogany body design, Seymour Duncan Lipstick pickup in the neck,  Custom Godin electronics along with separate tone and volume controls for the  Lipstick pickup, as well as 13-pin capabilities for computer & synth  access.

SpecsMahogany neck           Richlite® Fingerboard           16" fingerboard radius           25 1/2" Scale           1 11/16" nut width           Chambered Mahogany body           Solid Spruce Top           Seymour Duncan Lipstick Pickup with           seperate volume & tone controls           Custom electronics with 13-pin output           for computer access & direct control of           Roland GR Series and Axon guitar synths           Feedback free at high volumes           Colors: Natural High-Gloss, Cognacburst High-Gloss & Black High-Gloss

Resource Center/Extras

www.godinguitars.com           Copyright ©2010 Godin Guitars / Guitares Godin All          rights reserved. Tous droits réservés. All specifications subject to change without prior          notice. Toutes les caractéristiques sont sujettes          à changements sans préavis.

<noscript>< p>

</noscript>

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Originally Posted by Derek_R:

I did try and take a sliver off the bottom of the bridge to lower the action but I think I was too delicate - there's no real difference. 

If you want to lower the action by 20 thou you have to lower the bridge by 40 thou.

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator

Originally Posted by Lester:

which can be used along the whole of the neck, not just by the nut,

You have to be careful doing this.  I found that if you lay the guitar on its back, and try and measure neck relief at the 12th fret, the pressure applied by the clock gauge depresses the string giving you a low reading. This doesn't happen at the first fret.  At the 12th fret it is like a lever or, if you imagine a trampoline with greater depression in the middle than at the edges.  If you want to use the neck relief gauge all the way up the neck you need to have the guitar in a playing position.