Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Where to buy a replacement nut?

Hello, I've had my Epiphone FT-570 acoustic for about 20 years (pinched it from my Dad actually). It has a nick out of the nut, so the B string has slipped a couple of mils closer to high E. Clearly I need to replace the nut. I'm going to try the work myself, but want input from you guys on the best places to buy a replacement nut (websites), and any issues I should avoid. Thanks.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016

If it is a couple of mils (mm) then you will need to replace the nut. If it is is a couple of thou then you could salvage the situation with superglue and a cooking powder - which type I cannot remember, so check.

Jocko's written some reall helpful topics: Nut Slotting Gauge, Nut files and Setting Nut Height.

I buy my tools, components and, just recently, my first nut from Stewart-MacDonald. It's expensive (all in - gauge, files, nut) for the first nut but will be cheap for every future one.

• HobbsyHobbsy Posts: 2Member
    Originally Posted by Lester:

If it is a couple of mils (mm) then you will need to replace the nut. If it is is a couple of thou then you could salvage the situation with superglue and a cooking powder - which type I cannot remember, so check.

Jocko's written some reall helpful topics: Nut Slotting Gauge, Nut files and Setting Nut Height.

I buy my tools, components and, just recently, my first nut from Stewart-MacDonald. It's expensive (all in - gauge, files, nut) for the first nut but will be cheap for every future one.

Cheers Lester,

it's definitely a couple of mm. I've put up with it for about six months, but I just can't live like his any more.

I'll check out Stewart-McDonald, and Jocko's stuff too. I'm determined to try to do it myself, and if I make a hash of it, I'll take it into my local guitar repair centre.

Thanks again. 

• LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016

Stewart-MacDonald nuts are here. Given the small price difference I used bone. Second choice would be Tusq. Check the nut dimensions carefully with your existing nut to make sure you buy the right size.

Before you knock (gently tap) the existing nut to unglue it, use a sharp blade to score along all endges of the nut to ensure that you don not tear any lacquer off the woodwork. There will be video instructions online.

If you are feeling nervous, one option is to call into your local guitar shop or repair place and buy the cheapest plastic nut (it'll be less than a fiver) and use that for practice before doing it for real with a  bone or Tusq nut.

All the best and do let us know how you get on.

• manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member

Hi.

Visit this web site, you will not be disappointed.

www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk

Ray

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator

I regularly buy nuts here.

http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_024.htm

They are convenient and quick.

It is probably the Gibson 43mm but check.  For wider nuts Stew-Mac have Martin at 46mm.