Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

I have an addiction to guitar-building projects

1789101113»

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,690Member
    Originally Posted by Jocko:

Try this for finishing your neck.
    Product Details
    It is like T-Cut for wood. Gives an amazingly smooth finish.
    Amazon UK stock it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birchwood-Casey-Stock-Sheen-Conditioner/dp/B0009TNNYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381222973&sr=8-1&keywords=stock+sheen+and+conditioner

It sounds like good stuff Jocko - I think I will probably invest in a bottle. However, it's use on the neck will perhaps wait as a mod for the future, I was being rather fussy and overly doubtful of what I'd done really (which is typical me!) - I looked again at the neck yesterday evening, and it's actually bloody nice. In fact, probably down to the ultra thin coating, but the finish already seemed pretty well cured, so I went ahead a fixed the neck to the body. I'd been itching to do this for a while, was getting sick of having the two parts separate. Also fitted the tuning machines to the headstock, and after a little extra shaping and filing, have decided that my last attempt at a truss rod cover is "the one"...  (I only made 4 others lol). And I have a clear day today, so I am going to make the final push for the summit - that's right, the wave guitar could be completed today with a bit of luck... And then I will be able to sit back and enjoy watching you complete your stunning walnut telecaster!

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

Can't wait for this!

• BryBry Posts: 589Member

I'm trying hard to deal with at least some of my unfinished projects before starting anything new, but you and Jocko are not making it easy. 

This guitar looks fantastic from every angle.

• dharma66dharma66 Posts: 834Member

Looking forward to seeing the finished article...

And you still have me browsing Guitar Build and Stew Mac...

I just have to keep pulling myself back to some realism about what time I have available, but these build threads are deadly...

Well, I underestimated how much time I would need, but I have now got the guitar basically finished and playing, although there are a few loose ends to tie up when I have chance (e.g. the truss cover is just attached with double sided sticky tape at the mo, the nut is just held in place by string pressure, nut needs polishing, etc.). Still haven't tried plugging it in yet, probably will in the next half hour though. Acoustically it seems quite a smooth, even-responsed, well-mannered guitar, with plenty of clarity. The dull-sounding bass strings that I remembered from the Starfield are a thing of the past, I'm pleased to say - there is plenty of life to the sound, across all the strings. I'd say the bass is clear, defined and controlled. I suspect it will be a great guitar for chordal work - you can really hear all the individual notes - which suits me very well, but also nice for some more fusion-ish lead type stuff. And I hope just a great all-round guitar really. Will be taking it to a band rehearsal tomorrow to see how it goes. And assuming that's alright, then probably it will see it's first gig on Thursday lol. Did I say I absolutely love this thing and am chuffed to bits? Well, I do, and I am!

I took a few shots of the guitar around lunch time, the nut slots had not been cut to depth at this point, but basically shows the completed guitar:

And when I'd got the nut slots cut to depth, and the action and intonation set up (surprising how long this takes) I tried a few shots in the garden to get some natural light, unfortunately it was a bit too late, and the best light had gone, but here are 3 shots that seemed to come out OK, including the final truss-rod cover, hope you approve after all my fussing with that!:

I have got some pics showing the nut making process, but at the moment I'm just a bit too knarkered, so they'll have to wait for another day. And I should be able to get some better pics of the finished guitar taken before long. Also intending to get some sound samples recorded now I have my new Zoom G3 and software (promise!) - Phil at www.guitarbuild.co.uk has expressed an interest in these for one thing, so I will be glad to help him out with that, perhaps even a YouTube clip. And indeed massive thanks to Phil and Guitarbuild for making this guitar possible, and supplying such gorgeous bits of crafted wood, and being so willing to listen and go to great lengths to provide my dream guitar body design - an amazing company. And this thread is not yet over, but a huge cheers to everyone who has followed this thread, I'm very grateful for your company, Cheers!

• dharma66dharma66 Posts: 834Member

Mate, I'm not surprised you are pleased with that, it looks absolutely stunning.

i love the contrast of the black hardware, subtle statement if the TRC, and the shape and grain of the body look even better now the whole thing is assembled. The balance and flow of the whole thing is just perfect.

So now there are two things I'm doing if I win the lottery this weekend: buying the Godin archtop from Richard, and asking you to make 'Number 2' image

• Pete_BPete_B Posts: 28Member

I bet your'e well chuffed with that

• AlidoreAlidore Posts: 523Member

Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator

Ace guitar Graham.  Final TRC is a lovely design.  Hope it plays as well as it looks.

• john87300john87300 Posts: 162Member

I've totally run out of superlatives to suitably describe your amazing achievement in producing such a beautiful instrument.

Having reread this thread from the beginning once again this morning I still find it has two contradictory effects. When I look at what you (and Jocko) are able to do, my initial reaction is that there is no way I could do anything at such a high level. Once the feeling has subsided a little I recognise the inspiration that folk like you and Jocko are. 

All I can say is thank you

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member

That is a work of ART!

The lines of neck and of body are a great match. It's amazing how well such an apparently irregular shape of wood can flow so well. The hardware is a superb colour contrast. The bold headstock logo and truss rod cover work just right too.

What you say about the acoustic sound seems very promising. Fingers crossed for you on that!

WOW!!!!

Originally Posted by john87300:
    there is no way I could do anything at such a high level. 

Don't fool yourself John.  I cannot even put up a shelf.  All you need to build a guitar of your own is a little bit of inspiration and a dollop of patience.  With what I have seen of your "rescues", and your obvious love of wood, then anything is achievable.  Go on, give it a go.

• lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member

Wow what an excellent job you did Megi, that's a stunning quality looking guitar.

Originally Posted by dharma66:

Mate, I'm not surprised you are pleased with that, it looks absolutely stunning.

i love the contrast of the black hardware, subtle statement if the TRC, and the shape and grain of the body look even better now the whole thing is assembled. The balance and flow of the whole thing is just perfect.

So now there are two things I'm doing if I win the lottery this weekend: buying the Godin archtop from Richard, and asking you to make 'Number 2'

I would be delighted to make a second wave guitar if ever you have the funds lol!  Thanks for the kind words on the design and appearance - I think if anything, the look of the guitar has been my prime consideration for this build lol, and I am very happy with how it's turned out. I know what you mean about those Godins - I still have an unscratched itch for a Godin Multiac Jazz model - one day Richard will find me calling for one of those!

Originally Posted by Alidore:

Thanks Alidore, that would be a safe bet...

Originally Posted by Jocko:

Ace guitar Graham.  Final TRC is a lovely design.  Hope it plays as well as it looks.

Cheers J! Glad you like the truss cover lol, has ever anyone faffed about over such a small part before? - I doubt it! In the end I decided to hell with caution and taste, and just made it as tall and swoopy as I could - it seems to work though. Still haven't plugged the beast in yet (I'm about to) but I must have played it acoustically for several hours already, and it's an absolute pleasure. It is an amazingly lightweight guitar - the lightest solidbody I've come across certainly, and I think that is giving it a very open, airy quality, with a lot of high-end chime. Hard to describe, but it has it's own "thing" very much - surprisingly different to my strat and tele, though all have the same body wood type. But of course that's a good thing...

Originally Posted by john87300:

I've totally run out of superlatives to suitably describe your amazing achievement in producing such a beautiful instrument.

Having reread this thread from the beginning once again this morning I still find it has two contradictory effects. When I look at what you (and Jocko) are able to do, my initial reaction is that there is no way I could do anything at such a high level. Once the feeling has subsided a little I recognise the inspiration that folk like you and Jocko are. 

All I can say is thank you

Thank you so much for following the thread John, and I hope it's given you some enjoyment. You really could build your own guitar I promise - I have no special skills or previous training. I've only used hand tools for this build, and a lot of what's involved is drilling holes of the right size and in the right place lol. I love doing an oil finish, but I must admit one of the reasons I like this is that the likes of me can get great results just wiping on the finish with paper kitchen towel, plus a bit of smoothing between coats with fine sandpaper or wire wool - you could do that no problem. But overall, with a bolt-on neck guitar, yes - ordinary folks like us can make are own lovely guitars, starting with a decent guitar neck and a body to fit it too (and thank you www.guitarbuild.co.uk for sorting that bit out for me - these are the people to use for the bits you can't do!  ). So it just comes down to a bit of planning and thought, and then lot's of little steps, but each one is quite do-able, and as Jocko says, a dollop of patience is useful.

Originally Posted by Mark P:

That is a work of ART!

The lines of neck and of body are a great match. It's amazing how well such an apparently irregular shape of wood can flow so well. The hardware is a superb colour contrast. The bold headstock logo and truss rod cover work just right too.

What you say about the acoustic sound seems very promising. Fingers crossed for you on that!

WOW!!!!

Mega thanks Mark - I am glad you are with me on the looks and design, I think this guitar build has been an artistic statement as much as anything. But the guitar also seems to have opened up a bit now I've played it for a few hours - it's really open and chime-y sounding, loads of air around the notes, but lovely and even sounding too, and great individual string definition. Rather responsive too - brings out subtle variation in picking strength and attack. I'd say it's impossible for something to sound this good acoustically, and not sound good amplified - but still I must find out what the Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 in the neck does...

I must admit I'm not sure about the bling, but the rest of the guitar is absolutely gorgeous - love it. 

Originally Posted by lancpudn:

Wow what an excellent job you did Megi, that's a stunning quality looking guitar.

Many thanks for being interested and supportive throughout the project lanc! The more I play this thing, the more I like it! image

• Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 588Member, Administrator

Megi - I have been watching from a far but thought it would be rude not to say well done!  Amazing!So.... well done - amazing!!!! lol

Next time you are building a guitar I now have the guitar builders blog section you can post in.

There was a chap here who said he was going to put some stuff in but that hasn't materialised... yet.

Originally Posted by The23rdman:

I must admit I'm not sure about the bling, but the rest of the guitar is absolutely gorgeous - love it. 

Cheers for following the thread 23rd.  Those pics from yesterday aren't really the best, so I may not have quite shown things in their best light. The pearloid material looks darker in "real life" - it's really hard to photograph for some reason. Saying that, I have had doubts about the bling I admit, but I think if you could see the guitar in the flesh, you might be won round. To me, it just adds a bit of an accent, a bit like a bird's coloured plume of feathers, or something like that. I have had thoughts of making a new control cavity and truss cover, perhaps with some nice rosewood veneer on top - but any such change will have to wait, I'm just going to play and use the guitar for a while.

Originally Posted by Richards Guitars:

Megi - I have been watching from a far but thought it would be rude not to say well done!  Amazing!So.... well done - amazing!!!! lol

Next time you are building a guitar I now have the guitar builders blog section you can post in.

There was a chap here who said he was going to put some stuff in but that hasn't materialised... yet.

Thank you Richard, much appreciated. Next time is a bit of an ominous thing to say lol - I think I should say that "next time" will be a trip to see your good self, and choose something like the lovely Godin Multiac Jazz...

It's hard to photography because the light will bounce straight into the lens from any angle. I could grow to like it though. image

Originally Posted by The23rdman:

It's hard to photography because the light will bounce straight into the lens from any angle. I could grow to like it though.

I guess you would know about that - and that does seem to be as you say. I guess there will be photographer's tricks to get around such problems. But be assured it does look darker, and rather more subdued with the naked eye.

"Bling" is decidedly black on the earlier, indoor, pictures.

I can only agree with all of the above, you have created a thing of beauty 

Originally Posted by Bry:

I can only agree with all of the above, you have created a thing of beauty 

Cheers Bry! We haven't heard much from yourself lately btw - what wonderful projects have you been occupied with? image

Originally Posted by Megi:
    Cheers Bry! We haven't heard much from yourself lately btw - what wonderful projects have you been occupied with?

Mostly being a dad. She's just turned two and guitar was one of her first words. If she finds a lead she tries to plug it into each guitar in turn and sings into the wrong end of a boom mic stand. I suspect guitar lessons as soon as she can hold one

The shed turned into a brewery for a year or so and guitar building made way for brewing, but now it's been turned back into a musical man-cave and I'm looking at a rack full of things that were never quite finished. I want to take care of at least some of those before I start any new projects but following your wave and Jockos tele builds have got me thinking about having a word with guitarbuild....

I suppose I could say it was needed in order to finish something, that 12 string neck is still on an old make-do body, as is that Burns neck