Blueridge BR60 dreadnought

124»

Comments

• Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    It's not looking good is it?
    The guitar is holding together though and doesn't lose tune at all even if you play hard for a while.

The truss rod adjustment I made earlier appears to have lowered the action a touch too,maybe I should take a mm off the bridge saddle.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Titebond is the glue I have heard bandied about for repairs of this nature. Like Lester says, it looks like you would have to break it to repair it. Rather you than me.
    I can't bring myself to do that to be fair,she'll have to struggle on as she is.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    It may be possible to inset a soft wood wedge in ever so slightly to allow you to inject some glue into the break. It is then just a case of removing the wedge, clamping and hoping for the best. Still a risk though.
    You could always bite the bullet and take it to a skilled luthier and see what he says.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,774Member
     Originally Posted By: Jocko
    It may be possible to inset a soft wood wedge in ever so slightly to allow you to inject some glue into the break. It is then just a case of removing the wedge, clamping and hoping for the best. Still a risk though.
    You could always bite the bullet and take it to a skilled luthier and see what he says.

Sounds worth a go to me - I'd try to get as much glue in there as possible (you can always clean up any excess splurges when clamped, and it might just work!
    There is no crack to get anything in to though.
    It just looks ugly and like it's about to go pop,I just hope it doesn't.
    \:\)
  • BUDSY1BUDSY1 Posts: 138Member
    I used to use Martin 12 bronze strings on

my Yamaha FG 730S acoustic guitar

but since i sent away for a bone saddle in the Usa

ive noted the strings ^^ sounded too trebly and so

i changed strings for D'Addario Phosphur Bronze ej 16s in 12 Guage and they sound fine

What id like to ask IS if i say wanted to get
    say the D'Addario ej 16s in light / medium guage say in size 13s

then would i need to change the truss rod ?

Since ive bought the guitar over 1 yr ago ive always used light guage 12s ..
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,774Member
    Hi Budsy - one thing I've found out with acoustic strings is that when they say "medium gauge" they actually mean heavy gauge - really, 13's are pretty damn meaty, I wouldn't want to ever try any heavier than that on an acoustic. 12's are usually called "light gauge" but really should be called medium (or maybe even medium-heavy). 11's would be what I'd call light gauge for an acoustic, and 10s extra light.

Probably if I were you, especially if you already like the sound, I'd stick with the 12s you've got - I'm just a bit weird liking the 13s really! If you did try 13s you might well find that you'd need to tighten the truss rod an 1/8th of a turn or so to get an ideal setup, but honestly I wouldn't bother unless you have a really good reason.