Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Blueridge BR60 dreadnought

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,697Member
    Newtone do a 16-59 set for resonator type guitars, which I'm guessing you may have already seen Surf http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/...phosphor_bronze

Make sure you have a pretty robust guitar for those!

In other trivial news, the new scratchplate arrived today - it's fine, but just not quite the right shape for a dreadnought. So I've ordered a different one in black (couldn't find the right shape in a good tortoiseshell). No one else would probably notice or care about any of this lol - a case of OCD probably, but I do want the guitar to follow the classic Martin Dreadnought look as closely as possible, and we are only talking couple of quid anyway.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,502Member, Moderator
     Originally Posted By: Megi
    No one else would probably notice or care about any of this lol - a case of OCD probably ...

Just more peices to the puzzle, mate! Are you sure you don't want 12.7386 gauge strings?

Actually, a pickguard is a good idea. My Faith 12 string is now a year old and I noticed very faint scratches in the scratchplate. Wondering how they got there, knowing that my pick doesn't make contact with the guitar, I noticed my fingertips lightly brushing the scratchplate, so that's what the cause is.
     Originally Posted By: Lester
    [quote=Megi] Are you sure you don't want 12.7386 gauge strings?

No, I'm not sure... 12.7386 gauge, they sound good, where can I get some of those?

I keep looking at the scratchplate I just got (it can stay on for the moment at least) and at times I can almost convince myself it's fine as it is, but there is just this niggle somehow. Scratchplate OCD... what a bizarre condition to suffer from! Still, if I'm going to be playing this guitar a bit more, it might be good to have a scratchplate for protective purposes as you say.

I'm getting a bit interested in DADGAD tuning all of a sudden - I have Sarah McQuaid's "The Irish DADGAD Guitar Book" (has sat unstudied on the shelf for years) so may be learning a few reels, jigs and hornpipes, could be a nice diversion from the jazz.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Graham. Why not get a sheet of scratch-plate material and cut your own? Another string to your bow.
  • Options
    Newtone do a 16-59 set for resonator type guitars, which I'm guessing you may have already seen Surf

Thanks Megi, I have seen those and others. My reso strings are bespoke Newtones which came about after trying various and several conversations with the man. Very interesting chap with a surprising client base. Not the best at self promotion but not short of orders. He’s not a guitarist who turned to stings, rather a wire and cable man who applied himself to the needs of stringed instruments. Personally sources all his wire and everything is hand wound as opposed to being spat out from production machines. Biggest US customer is Nashville, Tennessee – not a lot of people know that.

Worth a mention for anyone trying Newtones, some must NOT be trimmed before fitting. Safe practice – for any stings IMO – is to only trim after fitting. ;\)

Re your scratchplate, if you want a specific size finish and material, could give Brandoni’s a call and see what they want to make you one – may even have one? They’re probably do more in custom plastics than anyone else in Britain. 0208 908 2323
    Cheers Surf, and thanks for that pic - personally I love that kind of look, some might find it OTT, but I quite appreciate a bit of bling I have to say (hence the gold hardware on the builds I've done). You're making me want to order some more Newtones for my archtop, specifically these ones: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/10136-newtone_archtop_custom_jazz_strings_13_56 - had them before, and I can vouch for the quality and sound (pure vintage jazz tone!). He does similar double-wound bronze strings for acoustics which I might have to try one day. It is good to hear of a UK success story like Newtone strings too, long may he continue.

Surf and Jocko, I appreciate your suggestions re the scratchplate - they are both good ones, but I think given the modest value of the guitar in question, I have spent enough on this now - I think the scratchplate I've ordered will be close to ideal, and close in appearance to the black one that came with the guitar when bought (which I should have left alone obviously!).
  • Options
    Know what you mean Megi, it may not be something you’d commission but you’ve got to admire the workmanship. Then again, some like a guitar to look like it’s been attacked with burning lighter fluid and a 4” nail? \:o

I remain interested in ‘jazz’ strings but for a time when I pursue a ‘jazz’ tone. Would like to try the half-round's.

On little publicised ‘good eggs’ in the guitar business, noticed William (aka twin--cam) has an interesting unusual new body currently on offer with neck for £135. Tempting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WALNUT-ASH...=item35be86279d
    Very tempting. That body is gorgeous.
    Surf - the half-rounds (13's again, D'Addario) is what I have on the jazz guitar now - they are another good choice for a jazz tone but with a bit more edge than flatwounds say. By comparison the Newtones are a little less even in response (IMO, sorry Newtone!), and perhaps a tad warmer also - I have flitted between these two strings for a while now, both very nice in their own way.

I agree with Jocko, that body looks very good indeed, with a nice finish on that... very tasty. But evil of you to point that one out! I must resist, resist...
    I would buy the body if it was available without the neck. I have a spare maple neck here I am itching to put to a good use!
    Could ask the seller? they might be able to arrange something...
  • Options
    Always worth asking William as he has far more stock than he ever gets round to advertising – same if you’re buying something from him and want something else not listed ;\)

Thanks for the half-round appraisal Megi. My only experience was with full flats on a bass which felt very nice but lacked bite for me? Found if I wanted ‘mellow’ from round’s I used a digit pluck.

But evil of you to point that one out! I must resist, resist...

And the only way to overcome temptation is to give in to it

If it were a 2 pu rout I may well have gone for it myself

ps. did you see Lee?
    Sadly I'm having to resist temptation for now, due to financial constraints, and a lack of space to accomodate new guitars also. Also sadly did not get to see AL as was involved in an archery event (my other pastime!) on the same day.

Oh well, sigh...
    OK, this is getting silly now lol, but... the 2nd pickguard arrived this morning - it is the wrong shape i.e. a bit different from the advertised photo on ebay. So have contacted the seller to return it (he will probably think I'm a fussy bugger too).

So Jocko, your "make-your-own" idea wins out, and I am buying a sheet of material, probably this one: acoustic tortoiseshell scratchplate material

It looks similar to the tortoiseshell on the scratchplate of my strat, which should look good on my acoustic I reckon. I have also found a pdf template I can print off to use here (scroll down for the Martin teardrop style): http://www.terrapinguitars.com/index2_php.php?content=acousticContent#acoustic

Oh well, it's all fun and games, and keeps me occupied!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,502Member, Moderator
    Just to be sure it might be a wise move to use the template to make a test scratchplate from paper or card to confirm that the template is excatly the shape you want.
     Originally Posted By: Lester
    Just to be sure it might be a wise move to use the template to make a test scratchplate from paper or card to confirm that the template is excatly the shape you want.
    That's a very good thought, I will do exactly that. Thanks Lester!
    Ordered a larger size sheet, enough to make a couple of pickguards - so can have a second attempt if I go wrong the first time! Otherwise, I'm sure the extra will come in handy for something one day http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-25cmx...=item1e6db400c5 - in for a penny, in for a pound I suppose... \:\)
    Pickguard made and fitted - a surprisingly tricky job to get right, had to adjust the template shape/size somewhat (thank you Lester for pointing out that might be the case!), and also alter the soundhole curve radius to get things looking right. Probably could have got things a little better, but pretty good I think (looks close to vintage Martin style, which is what I was after) so I'm happy enough to leave it at that, and resist any further OCD urges! Some unnecessary pictures:

Guitar sans pickguard:

With new Martin style guard:

I do think the tortoise guard improves it, hope you agree folks!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,180Member
    Nice job! The guitar DOES look better for it. \:\)
  • Bob IsaacBob Isaac Posts: 70Member
    Neat.

Bob
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 498Member
    Yours Looks good. What did you use to cut the material and get such a crisp finish? I have just fitted one to my Sheridon which after 3 years of heavy use had started to show some signs of wear. I was fortunate to be able to pick one up from my local music shop for £3 and only had to do the smallest of cuts to make it look right. I was advised to warm the material before fitting Before I fixed it I was unsure of whether I would like the look but decided that it would be preferable to the existing battle scars.Now that it's fitted I like the look and now can't understand why I was hesitant to fit it.
    Thanks chaps, glad you like it. Tel, I just used a decent pair of scissors, with the outline marked out on the white backing paper. Went slowly and carefully, then once the shape was cut out I was able to use a bit of fine sandpaper (600 then 1000 grit) to smooth the edges and even out any slight bumps there might have been.

I'm happy I fitted my scratchplate too, I think the guitar just looked too plain and utilitarian before somehow. Interested to hear about your own fitting work too, cheers!
    Stickyfiddle has sent me an O-port to try with the acoustic - thank you Sticky! I owe you one - and I've just had a chance to fit it (very easy) and get some early impression of it. Well, it certainly does have an impact, while not dramatic, it is quite noticable. Firstly I would say the guitar's sound has more body and depth, especially felt with chords or using the lower strings. Less effect on the higher strings, but it still balances well. There is also a focusing effect where different frequencies seem more integrated to me - a good thing on this guitar, as it sometimes seemed a bit "unruly" somehow. Kind of a more hi-fi kind of sound maybe - I like it anyway. There is perhaps a tad less air or space to the response, but it is a subtle difference. In fact the whole comparison is quite subtle, and it is a bit of a "swings and roundabouts" thing, but for me there are some very worthwhile gains. I would also say that the O-port could be very beneficial when recording an acoustic guitar, though I admit I don't have great experience with that. IMO well worth a try for anyone with a mid-price acoustic like mine!

So now waiting for the bone nut, saddle and pins to arrive from Hong Kong - once these are fitted I can try the 13 gauge strings, and I think I might have something pretty good. Still playing around with DADGAD tuning, and am now thinking the heavier string should work very well for that, and perhaps give a touch more strength to the plain strings - it's not a major issue, but I still feel these a just a tad thin sounding at the mo. But it's getting better... \:\)
  • Options
    Of course, if you don't want to stick rubber donuts in your guitar - because of all the bits of wood in the body -
    you can always get an Ovation. \:o

Or a Tanglewood!
    Nothing against Ovations, and cheers for the pic also, is that one yours Surf? Looks nice anyway, and in the original case too? I like that fact that Ovation has, and continues to, offer a different option to the norm.

As to the o-port, I would agree that the idea of fixing a "rubber donut" as you put it , inside a perfectly good acoustic guitar might seem a bit dubious, but I really think there is something to be said for the o-port, IMO it's surprisingly good.
     Originally Posted By: Jocko

Or a Tanglewood!
    Or indeed a Tanglewood, cheers for the pic Jocko! I suppose there is quite a bit of wood in it, somehow "Tangleplastic" doesn't sound so good - just kidding! Bad joke, sorry...
  • Options
    I would agree that the idea of fixing a "rubber donut" as you put it , inside a perfectly good acoustic guitar might seem a bit dubious, but I really think there is something to be said for the o-port, IMO it's surprisingly good.

Yeah, or just maybe Chuck Kaman had a point about replacing the skeleton of a traditional acoustic with a tech developed Lyrachord monocoque? Each to their own, as is right, but my 6 string has served 40 odd years with no fear of replacement and remains the guitar everyone wants to play when we have an acoustic knock-about.

Quote:
    cheers for the pic also, is that one yours Surf?

Err no, just a lazy web pic of the same sort of thing. But, as you’ve shown me yours often enough \:o , I don’t mind showing you mine.

A brace, both 70’s, both medium roundbacks no cutaway, both stock. Case is Ovation but not original with the 6 string. Couldn’t afford one then. Don’t remember when I got the black one, which I thought was brown anyway, in which case I don’t know where the brown one is, if there was one, but I thought there was?

Appreciate the trend now is towards shallow backs with pickups, which I find a bit too toppy for my general play – though work well with recording and/or using in Nashville tuning. The fat backs are good but for me a bit too loud.
  • Pete_BPete_B Posts: 28Member
    After reading this thread I just fitted an oport, makes a nice difference on my £100 elecro acoustic. Seems to be based on an old principle. Velocity Stack
  • AlidoreAlidore Posts: 523Member
    After reading this thread I just fitted an oport, makes a nice difference on my £100 elecro acoustic. Seems to be based on an old principle. Velocity Stack
    Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”