A cheap Cash Converters special?

MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
Strolled into the local Cash Converters a couple of days ago, they have several strat type cheap guitars - just going by appearance, I was interested in a gold metallic Nevada brand one, which appeared to have got the basic details right i.e. shape and dimensions - from looking around I think the body may be basswood. Headstock rather ugly, but that could be re-shaped to something a bit nicer looking.

Thing is I have quite a few pickups kicking around, including a set of handwound Voltage brand ones, also another "set" that I used to have on another guitar with Fender Lace Blue for the neck, SD classic stack in the middle, and cheap, but seemingly not bad Artec rails type in the bridge - they made a good combination. ...so obviously I'm thinking I could get a cheap Cash Converters special, put in good pickups, sort out the electrics (I have some spare pots & 5-way switch) do nice job on the frets and setup, etc. etc. - you get the picture.

But would I get anything worthwhile at the end of the day? Views welcome, especially if you've done something like this yourself, cheers!

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Forgot to say but I'm talking about guitars selling for £50 or even less here - yes, that cheap!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,504Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
     Originally Posted By: Megi
    ... would I get anything worthwhile at the end of the day?

You sound experienced enough to avoid £50s worth of rubbish and so you should end up with a guitar that will be easier to justify experimentation just to see how things turn out.

I haven't experimented but if I picked up one for a really low price that might be the one to learn how to change the nut and frets and practising fret dressing or body or electrics work before I do it for real on one of my nice guitars.

What have you got to lose? £50. What have you got to gain? Knowledge, skill, experience, satisfaction.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    Just build yourself an Explorer Graham,bow to the building itch!
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,870Member, Moderator
    Pick it up, play it, and if it is crap put it back. You can get a battered Squier for £50 in Cash Converters.
    My Stagg M350 cost me the princely sum of £37. I replaced all the electrics (pick ups at the moment are only from an old Squier but will upgrade later), and fitted a new but fairly cheap Axesrus B-quality neck. Its a great guitar.
    PS. That's a reflection on the body. Not a scratch!
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Just build yourself an Explorer Graham,bow to the building itch!

Bad person! Bad, bad, bad!
     Originally Posted By: Jocko
    Pick it up, play it, and if it is crap put it back. You can get a battered Squier for £50 in Cash Converters.
    My Stagg M350 cost me the princely sum of £37. I replaced all the electrics (pick ups at the moment are only from an old Squier but will upgrade later), and fitted a new but fairly cheap Axesrus B-quality neck. Its a great guitar.
    I think you really did extremely well with that one J, a well-judged and executed project. It's actually quite a pretty guitar, quite distinctive with it's non-strat shape, and the sunburst looks well done. Is that the original neck in the picture - looks like it has a Stagg logo on the headstock. And can I ask what you felt were the deficiencies of the original neck?
    I would wait until something unusual came up,you can register with cashconverters online and save a search for guitars and they will e-mail you every guitar that comes into one of their stores in the UK,clearly you'd not be able to go and see most of them but you could find something a bit off the wall that could be worth playing about with.
    I wanted to keep the Stagg identity so I removed the metal badge from the original neck and with a dab of PVA glue attached it to the new neck.
    When I first looked at the guitar in Cash Converters the neck looked like it just needed a truss rod adjustment. When I got it home and tried to make the adjustment the neck twisted like a corkscrew. It was a great pity as the original neck was a deep honey colour. I could have taken the guitar back for a refund but it was such a lovely sunburst body I decided to keep it and make a project out of it. After all what's £37. A bar lunch for two and a 15% tip.
    I replaced all the electrics with a Strat kit from Axetec, where I also purchased a set of machine heads. I bought the neck from Axesrus. As I said earlier it was B quality and only cost me £55. I fitted a set of pickups from a Squier Strat I was upgrading at the time.
    It is a lovely playing instrument and the sound from the pickups is perfectly acceptable in the house. I no longer gig so I cannot say how it would sound in a band situation but I am pleased with how it turned out.
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    I would wait until something unusual came up,you can register with cashconverters and save a search for guitars and they will e-mail you every guitar that comes into one of their stores in the UK,clearly you'd not be able to go and see most of them but you could find something a bit off the wall that could be worth playing about with.
    I guess I have a choice between trying something in a local store - thus able to instantly check it is OK, or take the risk and choose from a much wider selection over the country, but I would be only going by the looks/description. It doesn't have to be particularly "off the wall" tbh - just something I can put strat pickups in, which looks OK, and with a reasonably "alive" sound strummed acoustically. We will see anyway...

I wanted to keep the Stagg identity so I removed the metal badge from the original neck and with a dab of PVA glue attached it to the new neck.
    When I first looked at the guitar in Cash Converters the neck looked like it just needed a truss rod adjustment. When I got it home and tried to make the adjustment the neck twisted like a corkscrew. It was a great pity as the original neck was a deep honey colour. I could have taken the guitar back for a refund but it was such a lovely sunburst body I decided to keep it and make a project out of it. After all what's £37. A bar lunch for two and a 15% tip.
    I replaced all the electrics with a Strat kit from Axetec, where I also purchased a set of machine heads. I bought the neck from Axesrus. As I said earlier it was B quality and only cost me £55. I fitted a set of pickups from a Squier Strat I was upgrading at the time.
    It is a lovely playing instrument and the sound from the pickups is perfectly acceptable in the house. I no longer gig so I cannot say how it would sound in a band situation but I am pleased with how it turned out.

Ah, that explains it Jocko, and thank you for that - I like the idea of keeping the guitar's Stagg identity, and not trying to hide it's inexpensive brand. I'm sure it would sound fine in a band setting too, a nice guitar which I can appreciate, despite the fact that it didn't cost a lot - it has real character.
    I was just thinking that,as you have a number of guitars including Strats and Tele types,that you may consider throwing caution to the wind and getting a double-neck guitar or an old plastic Danelectro....
    That kind of thing,you know.

I can understand wanting to pick something up locally though,being able to hear and feel it.
    Well, I only have one of each - which are my own project builds as you know... A doubleneck does not really appeal for some reason, and I don't thing the Danelectro "low fi" thing is really me either somehow. I suppose half the double neck, i.e. an electric 12 string would be a cool aquisition though - that is a thought!

But I do have all these spare strat-sized pickups, and having had a strat for a little while now, I find I just love the design, so I'm thinking of another one really - maybe more of a "knockabout" guitar - it would still hopefully be a good instrument, but one I could be a little less precious about. And I'm interested to know just how good a cheap guitar could be with decent pickups and I know I could do a first rate job on the frets and setup. At the end of the day I could always sell it on ebay if not happy, so the risks are small it seems to me.
    Well there are always second hand Squier Strats available and I find them to be pretty good quality for the money you pay for them plus you know the string spacing and all the rest of it is standard so you should be able to swop just about anything in and out of them.
    I guess you could convert the headstock of a Strat to a 12 string but I guess the bridge would be more problematic and in that case maybe a Tele would be more sympathetic to conversion to a 12 string as you would have a solid bit of wood to attach a new or modified bridge to.
    How did Bry go about converting his Tele to a 12 string and do we know how he adapted the bridge?
  • BryBry Posts: 620Member
    That's a Gotoh 12 string bridge and the neck was a full paddle from CH, it was the body that needed to be adapted as the bridge doesn't cover the pickup cavity. The neck is now doing a decent impression of a banana and the string guide when PING and vanished when I tuned it up.
    You really need a wider neck for a 12 string.
    You really need a wider neck for a 12 string.

After further research I find that most 12 strings have standard net widths with Fender Villager acoustic 12 sporting a rather narrow 41.3mm. Their CD-100 has a 48mm wide nut. After a quick Google I cannot find sizes for Fender electric 12's.
    do you think you would need a stronger neck/truss-rod as compared to a standard 6 string guitar?
     Originally Posted By: Bry
    ... The neck is now doing a decent impression of a banana ...
    Sorry to here you're having troubles with this one Bry. \:\(